Not going to lurk anymore

Options
Hey everyone,

I have decided to step out of the shadows as I joined up a few weeks ago but have just been reading the message boards and blogs. I am a 32 year old mom of a wonderful 7 year old boy and I work full time. I was always just slightly overweight growing up but still in the normal category. I went back to college when my son was 2 and now have a desk job and the pounds crept up on me. I had a couple of very humbling experiences that caused me to decide to lose weight.

#1. Back in June, a group of teenage boys were behind me in the drive thru of McDonald's. They put down their windows and were making cat calls, laughing and making fun. By the time I got up to the window to pay, I was crying. The cashier even had to comment to them that they better watch it or he will spit in their food.

#2. My son says that he doesn't want me to get sick.

So that's my story...I started this journey at 247 and as of today I have lost 8 lbs.

Please feel free to add me as I would love to have new friends to keep eachother on track!!! :smile:

Replies

• Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :happy:
  • mirandaallyn
    mirandaallyn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    People can be so cruel. I had two guys outside my apartment building shout comments about me being fat a few weeks ago. Totally pissed me off since I'd lost 10lbs in 3 weeks! But all that matters is that you're changing for YOU and for your son. Good luck on your journey :] feel free to add me!
  • Noahsmommy1
    Options
    People are cruel!!! These kids were 17 and 18...my son is only 7 and he treats people a lot better than that!!!!!
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Welcome honey :)
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Would love to add you as a friend.
    CrazyAnne
  • christie5683
    Options
    Good for you...taking control. Keep it up; you'll be happy you did :)
    Lots of support here friend
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also started at 247 pounds (I'm 5ft 9in). Please make sure you take measurements and before pictures! You are going to love seeing the changes your body goes through! Good luck!
  • Noahsmommy1
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!!
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    I started at 240. 5'10. You have a great reason to get into shape! Good luck on your journey. Add me if you wish.
  • adrushe
    adrushe Posts: 25
    Options
    People can be so cruel. Please ignore those ignorant teenagers. They had no idea how their actions can impact someone, they are disrespectful. Karma can be cruel too, so they will get what is coming to them.

Feel free to add me if you want, I am always looking for new friends and motivation! :smile:
  • meglet175
    meglet175 Posts: 98
    Options
    Cruel words from a bunch of insecure jerks. The only opinions that should truly matter are from those who love and respect you:love: - life's too short to worry about the others. I'm sending a friend request. I'm new to MFP, too, and am also a chubby momma hoping to take better care of myself.
  • jcjammin
    jcjammin Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!
  • laurie0507
    laurie0507 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I can not believe how mean some people are.. Good luck, and feel free to ad me!
  • Noahsmommy1
    Options
    Well to be honest...even though what they said was mean and totally uncalled for, i decided to take something positive from it and I decided that I couldn't deny just how big I was after getting and decided it was time to change. I was just the kick in the butt I needed to finally be honest with myself!
  • seabreeze2012
    Options
    I am with you. Feel free to add me as a friend:)
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh hon, so sorry to hear that happened to you!!

I grew up getting that type of abuse so it really resonated when I read your message.

Feel free to add me and welcome out of the lurking place! :-)
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have no words that are clean in my feelings on your little incident! :mad:

Welcome! and great going on making the first step! thats the hardest part!!!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    oh..and PS PS PS!!! Take pictures of yourself.. I am kicking myself in the butt now for not doing that..I would hide from the camera! You will thank yourself later..and no one has to see them but you! :)
  • Boo522
    Boo522 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Good luck on this journey. I started out at 245 lbs @ 5'6'' so I know how you feel. I would love to add you as a friend.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    People can be so cruel. Please ignore those ignorant teenagers. They had no idea how their actions can impact someone, they are disrespectful. Karma can be cruel too, so they will get what is coming to them.

Feel free to add me if you want, I am always looking for new friends and motivation! :smile:

Ditto!