Crunches HELP!!

Options
I cannot do a crunch to save my life. I feel like I have absolutely no ab strength and they KILL my back. I can barely get my shoulder blades off the floor. My husband says it's okay to do them with someone holding onto your ankles (like we used to in school lol) but I'm not sure. If I do them that way, I can get up a few times but that seems to be due to leverage, not actually working the abs. So, my question is are they okay to get my body used to crunches or should I just keep on with my pathetic attempts at crunches?

Thanks all!!

P.S. My sister says it due to scoliosis but it's not severe, so that feels like a cop-out.

Replies

• jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are trying to do a sit up. If it hurts your back, I wouldn't do it. There are other alternatives to crunches.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are trying to do a sit up. If it hurts your back, I wouldn't do it. There are other alternatives to crunches.

I agree. Also, I have this ab roller thing that I bought a few years back to take the pressure off my back and neck. It's something worth looking into :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^This. There are plenty of other exercises you can do. Look up "planks" and start doing those. At first, aim for holding one for 10 seconds, then work up to 20, then 30, then a minute.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yeah, re-reading it does sound like sit ups, not crunches.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    They used to hurt my back too...until I got a balance ball. Now I'm doing crunches with my 10lb kettle bell! I love my exercise ball. :love:
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Are you warming up first? After I gave birth, my abs were shot and I couldn't do crunches either. After a week or so, I noticed that if I did some cardio first and got really warmed up, I could do them much better.
  • JazzyBaby901
    Options
    If you place a small pillow under your back that would help you alot.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Try doing them on an inflatable exercise ball with the small of your back pressed into the ball, maybe? That way your lower back is supported.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Fitness tip number 1: If it hurts STOP!!!!!

If it continues to hurt when you try an exercise get it looked at by a doctor!!

Outside that try Planks, try lower back strengthing exercises. It sounds like your whole core is lacking and needs to be beefed up. Does NOT take long to get your core into a good functioning order.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Don't bother doing direct ab work. Lift heavy doing compound movements and that hits your core. Planks and supermans are good to. No need for sit-ups and crunches.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I think I need one of those balls too. I DESPISE crunches, sit-ups, anything having to do with stomach exercise :(
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't bother doing direct ab work. Lift heavy doing compound movements and that hits your core. Planks and supermans are good to. No need for sit-ups and crunches.

^I second this
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

I agree, you might want to try some standing crunches if you have back issues, or for any reason.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If you place a small pillow under your back that would help you alot.

^^^ this, and it really does sound like a sit up. Make sure you are on a mat or something soft to support your back. If you can't there are many other stomach exercises to start with.

Try the bycle for starting of strengthening thosemuscles

1. Lie on the floor; make sure your lower back is pressed on the ground.

2. Take your hands behind your ears. Then bring up your knees at a 45 degree angle.

3. Start doing a bicycle pedaling motion. Touch your elbow with the opposite knee (right elbow with left knee and so on, alternating)

4. Breathe relaxed and evenly throughout the whole exercise.

As already mentioned planks are also good and crunches are a little easier than sit ups.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options

^I second this

Doing any exercise on a balance ball works your core at the same time as it takes all of the muscles in your core and legs to hold the ball steady while doing them.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor before you do what I did, but here's how I started off green with crunches:

Week 1: Sit in a chair, feet flat on floor, knees bent so lower legs are parallel with the front of your chair. Bring your knees to your stomach as far as you can comfortably bring them. Hold them at the highest spot for 1 second, let them down slowly. Do this ten times, three sets. Do this for a week.

Week 2: Lay flat on your back. Bend your knees. Bring your knees as far to your stomach as you comfortably can while your back is still flat. It may help if someone spots you. Hold your knees in place for a second, and then bring them back down slowly. Do this ten times, three sets each. After you are done, do the chair position exercise you did in week one, three sets of ten if you can.

Week 3: Week 2 floor, three sets, week one in chair, three sets, then get back on the floor. Hold your fists to each side of your head, not behind your head as this can cause neck strain. Bring your your head and back up as far as you comfortably can, slowly. hold for a half second, lay your head back down. Do one set of ten to start, and build up to three.

In all of these, watch your breathing. Breathe out on the crunch or lift, in on the relaxation.

This is what worked for me, an amateur.
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Please don't listen to this....chances are if you can't do a crunch, there is no way you can properly and safely do compound movements like squats and deads. Your certain for injury.

As mentioned before....start by doing planks. Another thing you can do while performing crunches is to draw in at you navel...this flattens your back against the floor and encourages your abs to contract, sometimes this will help with the pain in your back. Remember everything in fitness is progressive...you can't jump to the next level if your not ready...
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I've found that bicycles do a better job of working ALL your ab muscles, and reverse crunches are easier on the back. Planks work the whole core rather than just the abs, which is also good.

You want a really simple ab exercise? Just work on holding your stomach in for one minute while you walk around. Then relax the muscles for for a minute or two, and do it again. Repeat as often as you want. I tense my abs off and on sitting at my desk. It's amazing how the strength grows just from that simple exercise. And it helps your back, too.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    alternative for crunches:

lie on your back, raise your legs (knees straight) up to 70-80 degrees, counting to four slowly lower the legs to about 20-15 degrees from ground, bring back up quickly. make sure your back is lying straight on the ground, not arching up during this excercise! You can put your hands under your lower back to give more support for this. Make sure to exhale when you bring the legs up and inhale as you bring them down, it makes the excercise easier. Repeat 10-12 times, take a break until you stop panting (in my case that's about a minute right now), do 2 more sets.

Alternate with same starting position but slowly lowering the legs (still unbent) to the side, then swinging back the other side. For support it's smart to spread your arms wide for this excercise. Again 10-12 times per side, 3 sets.

These are also brilliant for inner thighs!