The effect of frequent meals?

Options
Leela30
Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
So I was wondering who has found a difference by eating 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day? I am the slowest loser ever. Honestly, most months I don't see the scale move, and if it does it is only 1 pound. The only other thing I can think of is better spacing of my meals and eating more frequently. I really do think this should work in helping to see that scale finally move faster than a slug. But protein loading my day leaves me full and with a good portion of calories left at the end of the day.

So I was wonder....Who has changed their diet to make sure they eat every 3-4 hours and seen a great improvement with that?

Thanks!

(Yes I exercise about 5 times a week.. doing a mix of 4:1 or 3:2 weights:cardio AND I'm under my calorie goal 99.9% of the time. BUT after all changes are made in the kitchen)

Replies

• grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I changed from 1 or 2 meals a day to 6 meals a day, I changed many things at the same time though so I am not sure what contributed what. I do know that I am not hungry at all throughout the day, and I find it fairly easy to keep boiled eggs and fruit and almonds around to throw together for a quick 300 calories when I can't plan meals ahead
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think to get the best response to your question, people will ask you to have an open diary so they can see it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why do you think eating more frequently will increase losing weight?
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The main advantage in eating more frequently is so that you stay ahead of your hunger. Being too hungry can often lead people to binge or overeat.

If you're already tracking your calories and don't have an issue with eating more than you plan in in a single meal, eating several times a day won't change anything. If you're getting the same # of calories each day, it won't change your weight loss whether you eat that amount in 2 meals or 8.

If you think splitting it into smaller meals will help you stay on track regarding calories it's worth trying out, but if you're eating the same amount of calories as you do today it won't change anything.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you think it will help you control hunger later in the day, then go for it. As far as increasing fat loss, you will not have any advantage eating 6 meals a day over 3 meals a day. Staying at a constant calorie deficit, regardless of meal timing, is what works.

You don't have many pounds to lose. About 24 lbs? Not sure what your caloric intake is now since your diary is not open, but, just a wild guess, you may not be eating enough.
  • Leela30
    Options
    Just based on a lot of articles I've read, eating more often, though the same amount of calories, is better because it keeps your metabolism steady instead of peaks and drops from not eating consistently. I'll open my diary but then that opens up a lot more questions. 1 I am 99.9% percent pescetarian (I eat meat on rare occasion) and I am also lactose sensitive so too much whey makes me sick.. like with yesterday...

I've just read multiple times over the advantages of eating more frequently and was wondering if anyone saw any changes by doing that.
  • IronPlayground
    Options
    I've done both. I started losing weight by eating 3 main meals and 2-3 snacks throughout the day. After I got a handle on my intake, I don't always follow that. Mostly because I don't think it is necessary, but I also don't binge eat anymore. I haven't notice any difference in the two.

Here's a little reading on the subject for you.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • IronPlayground
    Options
    Just based on a lot of articles I've read, eating more often, though the same amount of calories, is better because it keeps your metabolism steady instead of peaks and drops from not eating consistently. I'll open my diary but then that opens up a lot more questions. 1 I am 99.9% percent pescetarian (I eat meat on rare occasion) and I am also lactose sensitive so too much whey makes me sick.. like with yesterday...

I've just read multiple times over the advantages of eating more frequently and was wondering if anyone saw any changes by doing that.

How tall are you and how many pounds per week are you trying to lose through per settings?
  • Leela30
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and It's set for 1lb a week loss. I've weighed 150-155 for the last 8 years, but recently gained a few extra due to graduation/work stress. So I am currently 157. I'm looking to be 140 for first huge goal then maybe down to 130 depending on how much % fat I have left then.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    it really worked for me last year having 5/6 small meals - i managed to shift 4 stone that other diets hadn't helped me lose. unfortunately i have put 1.5 back on this is because my 5/6 meals slowly got bigger lol. i had also tried to diet that way previously and was eating too much. so, go for it but really keep am eye on your portion control. and for those who say eating 6 small meals a day keeps you from being hungry - rubbish!! when i started of last year i was starving constantly for about 2 weeks till i got used to eating less.
  • IronPlayground
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and It's set for 1lb a week loss. I've weighed 150-155 for the last 8 years, but recently gained a few extra due to graduation/work stress. So I am currently 157. I'm looking to be 140 for first huge goal then maybe down to 130 depending on how much % fat I have left then.

I calculated my calories using a different site other than MFP. The main difference is that MFP subtracts out exercise calories and expects you to eat them back. This calculation does not. Based on your numbers, I came up with the following:

BMR = 1466
    TDEE = 2272
    Daily Calorie Goal = 1817 to lose .5 lbs/wk.

You don't have many pounds to lose for your goal. I would look at increasing calories some and start using a tape measure instead of the scale more often. You may be losing inches and not pounds. This happens to me a lot.

ETA: How often you eat during the day is really up to you. Just go with whichever makes you happy..
  • Leela30
    Options

I calculated my calories using a different site other than MFP. The main difference is that MFP subtracts out exercise calories and expects you to eat them back. This calculation does not. Based on your numbers, I came up with the following:

BMR = 1466
    TDEE = 2272

You don't have many pounds to lose for your goal. I would look at increasing calories some and start using a tape measure instead of the scale more often. You may be losing inches and not pounds. This happens to me a lot.

ETA: How often you eat during the day is really up to you. Just go with whichever makes you happy..

Wow! Thank you! This has really been helpful! And I do keep track of measurements. I'm really just focused on losing fat more than whatever the scale says. I've always been "average" and in pretty good shape. But I know I can be in much better shape! That's a wildly different number. My HRM tracks calories so I just always use what that says.

Thanks so much for the help!
  • ShrinkinBootyB
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day a 2 -3 hour intervals. Im not eating low carb but I am eating a lower percentage of my calories from carbs, and have upped my protein intake.

At first I wasnt losing a whole lot but this week in particular I have seen a lot of changes. My energy level is up, and Ive consistantly lost .2 - .4 a day. Im at that point where I would like to lose that last 10 - 15 pounds.

You and I are also about the same in size. I am 5'4 (and 3/4 ;) ) but have been stuck at 130 for 4 years and havent been able to move past that. I got up to 135 recently and that is when I started MFP. Ive now lost (as of this morning) 6 lbs... weigh in is Monday on here... but I weigh in everyday. bad bad i know.

My diary is public so if you want to look at it feel free. I have also been working out pretty hard with P90X, hiking, swimming, zumba and cardio in the gym.

Hope this made a little bit it sense... its friday. Im tired :)
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    So eating often is, scientifically, neither a helpful nor a negative thing. On the other hand, personally for me it has been helpful.

Scientifically: There's no benefit to eating often. xxx food has a yyy thermogenic effect. You can eat small amounts more often and get small metabolic bumps but frequently or larger amounts less often and get fewer but larger burns. The net is going to be the same.

Personally: I like it because I've always been a snacker. I'd rather have no big meals but have my next feeding coming up soon. I just don't kid myself there's any "magic" behind it. It's all in my calories and macros, not in how I choose to distribute them through the day.

Some people do swear by intermittent fasting, which does mean eating only during a limited period. That wouldn't work for me, though, because I'd cheat. Eating often throughout the day, I don't cheat - I stay on plan.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just based on a lot of articles I've read, eating more often, though the same amount of calories, is better because it keeps your metabolism steady instead of peaks and drops from not eating consistently

The main reason to change your meal frequency would simply be if it helps you control your hunger better. Even if there were any metabolic or hormonal advantage to increased meal frequency, they're not likely to be very significant.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

BMR = 1466
    TDEE = 2272

Wow! Thank you! This has really been helpful! And I do keep track of measurements. I'm really just focused on losing fat more than whatever the scale says. I've always been "average" and in pretty good shape. But I know I can be in much better shape! That's a wildly different number. My HRM tracks calories so I just always use what that says.

Thanks so much for the help!

You're welcome! Good luck!
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I've done the 5-6 small meals a day for ten years now after I did it with Body For Life. I had great success with BFL, not only because of eating. I stuck with the small meals for good because I feel better. I feel horrible when I eat a huge meal now, physically sick. I also am ravenous every three hours, so I know my metabolism works. Two important notes though: the meals need to be small. Mine are usually between 200-300 calories (you can look at my diary). Also, you must prepared. Keep lots of healthy snacks and make meals ahead. Eating that frequently can be hard. Good luck.