A Shaky Mess

Options
Anyone else have a problem consuming any amount of caffeine or sugar? I can't seem to get through a single cup of coffee in the morning without turning into a complete Shaky mess!

I've even tried eating before my cup...but I've always been like this, even when I was younger. Heaven forbid I even think about having half an energy drink. I feel like I'm going to have a mini heart attack. My heart races and I get the jitters.

When I was younger my mom would ground me off of Dr. Pepper cause I'd turn into a crazzed ball of psycho energy and spaz the eff out. Even now I'm almost 27years old and can't even handle eating a pixi stick...

Replies

• rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Some people are extremely sensitive to caffeine.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Haha I think it's funny your mother would ground you from Dr. Pepper!

I like coffee! Espresso makes me a bit loopy and then a totally crash. I don't get shaky though, just hyper...especially from sugar.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I sometimes I wish caffeine affected me because I'm the complete opposite. I can have 5 shots of espresso and I'm not even close to having enough energy. Things never affect me the way I feel like they should. My body is so crazy!!!! It's the same way with things that normally make people sleepy, they make me totally awake. Sometimes I just want something to help me sleep but there isn't anything I can take that helps me to sleep.
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Haha I think it's funny your mother would ground you from Dr. Pepper!

I like coffee! Espresso makes me a bit loopy and then a totally crash. I don't get shaky though, just hyper...especially from sugar.

Yeah...I was the girl [back in my heavy drinking/party days] I'm old and lame now. :P That would feel the effects of the sugar in my drinks before the alcohol would hit me. I've always had a very low tolerance to any form of sugar and get super crazy hyper.

One time I sat in the corner and laughed at my feet for like 10 minutes (no joke)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Not I.

In my community college days, used to b e 13 cups or so before bed...

I've toned down to 1 day though.
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I sometimes I wish caffeine affected me because I'm the complete opposite. I can have 5 shots of espresso and I'm not even close to having enough energy. Things never affect me the way I feel like they should. My body is so crazy!!!! It's the same way with things that normally make people sleepy, they make me totally awake. Sometimes I just want something to help me sleep but there isn't anything I can take that helps me to sleep.

I can't have any caffeine after 7ish or I wont be able to sleep at night. But I have tried those energy shots (like 5hour energy) when taking road trips...but they have no affect on me... which is wierd.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Coffee won't keep me up at night, but soda after 6 and it's game over. I get so restless.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3 cups of coffee a day...get really bad headache's with out it. I only get shaky when I drink it and don't eat anything. Maybe your slightly allergic to caffeine. ?
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Is it the caffeine or the sugar? Maybe you are somewhat hypoglycemic?
  • bhardy516
    bhardy516 Posts: 22
    Options
    Try decaf coffee. Some people react to caffeine more than others. Cut back on sugar too. You could use some substitute like Stevia.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Some people are really sensitive to it. My mom pretty much breaks out in hives if she has any at all. When I was in nuke school, I'd drink a pot of coffee plus several sodas on a daily basis since I was supposed to be concentrating for twelve hours a day. Yeah... I ended up doing bad things to my heart with it- I now deal with premature atrial and ventricular contractions. Not life threatening, but the heart "flutters" aren't exactly comfortable or easy to breathe through. Since I've cut down on my caffeine, I don't get the flutters nearly as often!
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get like this. I have chest pains, shortness of breath immediately and end up with sugar spikes the rest of the day. I have the munchies ALL DAY regardless of protein intake. I finally just cut it out of my diet. I'll occasionally have soda if I'm out somewhere and there are no alternatives.

ETA: Oh yeah, it also affects my sleep patterns and makes me moody.
  • janvcooper
    janvcooper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Heard on NPR on Wednesday that some people are genetically incapable of metabolizing caffeine like the rest of us, and have a genuine intolerance. Look it up on their programming.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My 7 year daughter is like that. We have to plan when she can have anything with sugar in it. Even 100% juice will make her go crazy so we do 1/2 water and 1/2 juice. She turns into a complete spaz.