Ovarian Cyst

Hey! Just wondering if anyone else is out there that has had surgery to have an Ovarian Cyst removed? I had 2 very large ones removed about a year ago along with my ovaries (fun stuff haha sorry guys!), ever since I have been pilling the weight on! sigh. The past 4 months I have been training for a regatta here in my city, so I have been rowing 2 times a day 5 days a week. I also play lacrosse once a week as well as ice hockey. Yet the weight still doesn't move! I have even been joggin 3 times a week around the lake where we row (takes about 25 mins to run)

I know I'm not always eating the best but I don't gorge on food either. Is my body still trying to even itself out after the surgery and what not?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    With pcos, your body has an intolerance to carbs. Most women have to limit themselves to 100 carbs or less a day in order to lose weight. Sorry i am a man so i cant relate but my wife can.
  • Angebartle
    Angebartle Posts: 10 Member
    I haven't been told I have PCOS. How did your wife find out? Are there tests you can do to find out?
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    I have pcos and I have to follow a low carb diet in order to lose weight. You would know though you wouldn't get your menstrual cycle or if you do it would be infrequent.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Have you been maintaining this level of work out prior to stalling at your weight?

Or did you just start going all out on some full fledged body fat offensive?

It could be your body retaining more water and nutrients in the muscle fibers due to the new work out.

If it is health related with the ovarian cysts, that is something to discuss with your doctor. If you are concerned about it, make an appointment and discuss it with him/her and decide together if further testing is needed.
  • melbrown22
    melbrown22 Posts: 53 Member
    What is PCOS??
  • Angebartle
    Angebartle Posts: 10 Member
    Have you been maintaining this level of work out prior to stalling at your weight?

Or did you just start going all out on some full fledged body fat offensive?

It could be your body retaining more water and nutrients in the muscle fibers due to the new work out.

If it is health related with the ovarian cysts, that is something to discuss with your doctor. If you are concerned about it, make an appointment and discuss it with him/her and decide together if further testing is needed.

Once I got the all clear last April from my Doc I have been going mad with everything I could get into

A typical week is as follows:
    Sunday - 2 games of ice hockey (goalie)
    Monday- Ball hockey (goalie)
    Thursday - ice hockey (sometimes out sometimes in net)
    Friday - ice hockey out

Plus I would go to the gym at least 3 times a week doing weights.

Now with all that going on I do have to admit I wasn't eating the best. But the last 4 months I have been trying my best to clean up my act on that one and still nothing I go up and down a pound or two.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Open that food diary and lets have a peak!

And HOLY COW you do a lot. Could be muscle added or could be your body simply saying "OH GOD SHE'S TRYING TO KILL ME" and hoarding EVERYTHING it possibly can.

Also remember to keep you calorie deficit between 500 and 1000 (1 to 2 pounds a week), maybe lower depending on your current weight.

And protein! Doing what you do, you should be devouring protein left and right...
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    What is PCOS??

Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which a woman has an imbalance of a female sex hormones. This may lead to menstrual cycle changes, cysts in the ovaries, trouble getting pregnant, and other health changes.
    That came from this website.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/

I have PCOS (for 10 years now) and have lost a total of 90 pounds (27 here on MFP) by being low carb diet with cardio and weight lifting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I haven't been told I have PCOS. How did your wife find out? Are there tests you can do to find out?

Having ovarian cysts does not automatically mean you have PCOS. I get cysts frequently but so far they come and go on their own. I do not have PCOS and I eat a moderate carb diet with no problems losing weight (been in maintenance for over a year).

But, since having your ovaries removed I'm guessing you are probably on hormone replacement therapy. If so, you may just need to talk to your doctor about adjusting your dosage as hormone play a large role in weight loss/gain. If you are not on HRT, you may want to talk to your doctor about it.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    I had surgery to have a cyst removed when I was a teenager, it didn't cause me to gain weight afterwards though. They were in and out, the cyst was removed, and I never thought of it again.
  • I have not had cysts but did have large fibroids, and within the last year & 1/2 had 3 surgeries, in that time I gained my weight this is one of the reasons i am doing this now to lose the weight I gained...feel free to add me! Good Luck!
  • babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    What are they doing for hormone replacement? What medications are you taking? Have you been in touch with your doctor lately? Sounds to me like your fighting a losing battle right now. Sorry to hear your not making progress as hard as you are trying.

I think this is an issue that will be better addressed with some blood work...your body has suffered a great blow...although I am not walking in your shoes specifically having an underlying issue can certainly keep you from making progress. I would be careful cutting carbs too greatly before getting checked out...if you are a Carb lover it can cause binging. Not to mention you need carbs to keep you going with all you do. If you doctor tells you your levels are low but within range...explore the possibility that although it might be normal...maybe it is not your normal. Certain medication can cause weight gain, you can probably look them up to see if what you might be taking does. Many doctors are not as well informed as a dietician might be for weight loss...you many want to use that as a resource as well.

I am so sure you are not seeing the success you were looking for, you are certainly working hard and I am sure you are frustrated.
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    I've had an ovarian cyst that grew to 13cm and twisted around my ovaries.
    They had to remove my tube and ovaries also.

I've not put on weight at all, I'm losing weight slow and steadily.
    And a comment about carbs, i've been losing on almost 200carbs a day.
    Each to their own I guess, but maybe it's something in your diet that needs to be changed.
    x
  • melbrown22
    melbrown22 Posts: 53 Member
    What is PCOS??

Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which a woman has an imbalance of a female sex hormones. This may lead to menstrual cycle changes, cysts in the ovaries, trouble getting pregnant, and other health changes.
    That came from this website.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/

I have PCOS (for 10 years now) and have lost a total of 90 pounds (27 here on MFP) by being low carb diet with cardio and weight lifting.

Thanks! I am going to follow up on this. I had an early hysteroctomy due to frequent ruptures of ovarian cycsts. Recently I've been off my hormones and now am not losing much weight at all...I'm going to talk to my doctor about this ASAP!!!
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member

Having ovarian cysts does not automatically mean you have PCOS. I get cysts frequently but so far they come and go on their own. I do not have PCOS and I eat a moderate carb diet with no problems losing weight (been in maintenance for over a year).

But, since having your ovaries removed I'm guessing you are probably on hormone replacement therapy. If so, you may just need to talk to your doctor about adjusting your dosage as hormone play a large role in weight loss/gain. If you are not on HRT, you may want to talk to your doctor about it.

THIS. if you had surgery to have cysts removed, im sure your doctor ruled out POCS. Hormone changes really affect weight gain/loss. you might need your levels checked.