Any 40+ Mom's with Chronic Health Conditions out there?

Options
LisaEileen
LisaEileen Posts: 185 Member
I've been here since January, but I have a hard time being very active in forums. My life is crazy busy with 4 daughters, (23, 18, 10, 6) and a 4 year old Grandson who I take care of while my daughter works. My 6 year old has moderate autism and is a HUGE handful at times. I can't take my eye off of her for a single second. I'm 43 years old and have some chronic health conditions that make it really hard to lose weight and exercise at times. But, I have a bad *kitten* attitude and am determined to not let these conditions take over my life anymore. I do have my bad days and I've learned that I just need to take care of myself and not get too depressed about it. I have Crohn's and Fibromyalgia and am in a really bad flare with both right now. I try to not complain too much, but on really bad days it's not easy. My Food Diary is a train wreck the past few days because all I can stomach are foods that aren't all that healthy. But, with Crohn's I simply have to eat what will not kill my stomach when I'm in a flare. When not in a flare, I eat about 80% healthy, 20% crummy. I've been doing Turbo Fire and Chalene Extreme for the past 6 months or so with other workouts added when I'm feeling good. I would love a few MFP friends who can help me stay motivated and are understanding through my hard days. I would also love friends who are kicking some serious *kitten* even though they have health issues. Most days it's mind over matter and I'd love friends with the same philosophy.

Replies

• LisaEileen
    Options
    OK...how about any one with any chronic health condition who are any age? How about anyone who's a Mom? How about anyone who has weight to lose and doesn't starve themselves, but will understand that my food diary will suck on days that I'm in a flare? Anyone? I would just like a group of friends who will cheer me on and I will cheer you on.
  • meglet175
    meglet175 Posts: 98
    Options
    How about a healthy mom who's trying to rebuild strength and lose weight after breaking her arm a few months ago??? I'm 46, mom to three teenaged boys, and trying to just live a clean, healthy life - no crazy diet schemes! I also love anything Chalene Johnson - doing lots of turbofire right now.
  • LisaEileen
    Options
    How about a healthy mom who's trying to rebuild strength and lose weight after breaking her arm a few months ago??? I'm 46, mom to three teenaged boys, and trying to just live a clean, healthy life - no crazy diet schemes! I also love anything Chalene Johnson - doing lots of turbofire right now.

Sounds awesome! Breaking your arm...that would suck. You.are.not.tired!!! :)
  • cuffs_r
    cuffs_r Posts: 41
    Options
    Well Im 43 retired military mother of a 21 yr old, who is on meds like beta blockers and anti seizer meds and also am waiting on a disc replacement in my neck so I cant work out. I just basically watch what I eat and do alot of pool time. i have an extreme positive attitude. I love life and most of the time dont know the meaning of no or cant, which is probably why I am in the condition Im in. LOL
    I would love to have anyones support who would like to provide it. I am an everyday logger!
  • meglet175
    Options
    No, I'm not tired - I feel great! I've done the turbofire toning and sculpting routines this week and have that wonderful tight feeling all over my body that tells me I'm building muscle. The broken arm completely sucked. I was so USELESS with an enormous cast and my arm stuck at a 90 degree angle - I couldn't even dress myself - but it was a temporary bump in the road. Your chronic health issues are another thing altogether, but I know we can encourage each other.
  • meglet175
    Options
    Awesome attitude, cuffs. Stay strong!
  • LisaEileen
    Options
    Cuffs, that's what I was getting at when I was saying I want friends who have health issues who are bad *kitten*! :) I've met too many people who have the type of conditions I have who wallow in sorrow all the time. I don't want to be that person. I am determined to kick butt so I can have control over these conditions and not let the conditions control me. I did the opposite for too long. I've been at this since January and have only lost 23 pounds so far. But, at least the number is going down, not up and I feel so much stronger.
  • JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My mom has been battling with her weight ever since I was born...(yup it's my fault! ). She also has chronic back/hip pain that has been getting more and more severe over the years. Basically, she can't be sitting for too long...or standing for too long...and any form of moving (walking, exercise, etc) results in a day of bedrest. She's the type of person that never ate too much and loves health food, but still could not find a way to lose weight.

So about 2-3 weeks ago one of her doctors put her on a diet plan. I forget what it's called exactly, but it's a high protein diet. She is not allowed to eat dairy, fruit, or carbs and no snacking...but the diet provides breakfast foods which are a controlled amount of carb. Lunch and dinner are just meat and veggies. If I remember the name I'll come back in and post it!

Since she's started it, she's lost about 8 pounds! I'm sure at some point she will plateau since there's no exercise involved...but at least she's falling into a healthy eating routine!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite 40 yet (I'm 37) with 4 kids (18, 16, 15 &10) a full time job a very active GS troop & MS that trys to kick my butt so that I always have muscle pain & fatigue. However I don't let it stop me ever I just keep pushing through. I am determined to lose the weight this time I've started & stopped many times before but this time I am in it for the long haul I want to be down 50 lbs by next August then I will see when I get there if I'm happy with that. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ideal Protein...that's what it's called

http://www.idealprotein.com/us/home
  • Cindi_Rella1
    Cindi_Rella1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a 45 years old mom of 6 with diabetes and hypothyroidism who is losing it, literally!!! I am doing a 90 day challenge with my brother who is way taller and heavier than I am, so I have my work cut out for me. I go to a personal trainer 4-5 days per week and I am doing stuff I never thought I would or could!!! So yeah, I am a badass and I am lovin every minute of it!! I have lost 14.2lbs since July 2, so it's working so far!
  • lifesazoo
    lifesazoo Posts: 118
    Options
    37 year old mom of 3 (14, 6, and 3), with Fibromyalgia, RA, asthma, and waiting to see what my neurologist says about my possible TIA or seizures. People just shake their heads when they hear the list of what is wrong with me- I just laugh. I'm stubborn as hell and I think that's what keeps me fighting this instead of just hiding in bed and crying about it.