Where to start with elimination diet?

Options
So I want to start an elimination diet. I have IBS that sucks a lot and would like to maybe identify my big trigger foods.

The problem? I don't really eat meat. I eat bacon, that is the only meat I consume.

Every time I have see this diet done it starts with just chicken and rice. Given that I don't eat chicken....that sort of puts me in a spot.

Any help from someone that has done this? Or someone that is in a similar situation that I am?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This is a question that should be directed to your physician. The typical elimination/ challenge diet has you eliminate the foods that might be the source of inflamation for 3 weeks then reintroduce them one at a time to see what you are most reactive to. It has nothing to do with eating rice and chicken. You eat anything except the potentially reactive foods. For me it was dairy, wheat, corn and eggs. Popped on dairy and slightly on wheat when they were reintroduced. This should realy be directed by a physician or nutritionist famiiar with the specifics of you issues.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Starting with chicken and rice isn't an elimination diet. I'm starting one now myself, though not for IBS. It tends to take longer to rule out things like milk and gluten sensitivities, so you need longer for those. While you're waiting to talk to your doctor or nutritionist, dietitian, eliminate gluten and milk products.

Here's a link about elimination diets and IBS. It's not the best, but would give you a better idea of what elimination diets do.
    http://solvingtheibspuzzle.com/food-elimination-diet.html

Here's a link about eating gluten-free:
    http://www.fightingfatigue.org/?p=419

HTH
  • krisjnic
    krisjnic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My naturopathic doctor had me start with the most common allergens. I had already eliminated dairy, so she had me go without wheat/gluten, peanuts and soy. Peanuts and soy had no effect on me, and though wheat is difficult to eliminate, that was the culprit for me.

You can go it alone by just picking two things that are typical problems for IBS - dairy and wheat are good ones to start with. Stick to it (strictly!!!!) until you feel better. Then try them one at a time back into your diet. If you don't feel better after a couple of months eliminating the biggies, that's a good time to consult with a doctor (I recommend a naturopathic doctor for this kind of thing- far more knowledgeable and with more tools than an MD). I felt better off of wheat within a week, I think, but got even better the longer I ate clean.

This tactic helped me find out that I can not eat dairy at all, and can only tolerate wheat once in a while - no more than a small amount every other week.

Your gut is soooo important and makes such a huge difference in your life when it isn't working right! Best of luck! Let us know how you do!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For IBS a lot of people try the FODMAP diet. It is an elimination diet for the most common causes of IBS. If you google it there are lots of info about it, and I've heard lots of success stories from it.

It doesn't work for everyone though. My IBS turned out to be Celiac disease, so it really is important that you talk to your doctor about whats going on too.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your GI doctor. For any GI condition, the trigger foods vary from person to person. My husband has Crohn's and his list of trigger foods is very different than other Crohnies.

You GI doctor or MD can recommend a bland diet that eliminates the common ones. For my hubby, it was lettuce that put in the hospital. Go figure. It's different for different people.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    When my Dr put me on an elimination plan - he had me to do Atkins Induction. Proteins, fats and green leafy vegetables.

Back to the bare bones basics.................then started adding in foods as the Atkins plan was stated in the book and found my trigger foods that way.

Finding out I had PCOS, Diabetes, Thyroid issues and IBS at the same time is what brought me to being a very carb conscious person.