Why can't I finish Insanity?

Options
So I just started Insanity 3 (well four) days ago, and when I did it the first time, of COURSE I was tired, but I was able to complete the program with no problem! Now, you would think my body would be used to Shaun T's buttery self and his crazy workouts and his awful usage of grammar. BUT NO! I find myself stopping more frequently and not able to hang in there until the end and I have no idea why! Why is that? Are my muscles too worn out and tired from the first day? Is my stamina decreasing? Help!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Lack of recovery time?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    Whats you diet like? Are you eating enough? I did Insanity and before I knew how to fuel my body properly I was weak and tired. But once I started eating I was good to go. Doing Insanity or any high intensity workout increases your appetite and calorie burn. So maybe up your intake. DId you use the diet calculation they gave you in the book?
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The 4 cornerstones of fitness are Resistance, Cardio, Nutrition and Rest. Insanity is 1 & 2. How many calories are you getting per day? How many calories are you getting in your recovery window (directly before, and directly after your workout)? Are you getting enough rest? Gotta rest to recover those muscles!
  • alyssanichele
    Options
    Whats you diet like? Are you eating enough? I did Insanity and before I knew how to fuel my body properly I was weak and tired. But once I started eating I was good to go. Doing Insanity or any high intensity workout increases your appetite and calorie burn. So maybe up your intake. DId you use the diet calculation they gave you in the book?

Maybe I do need to vamp my calories. My eating is decent. Lots of veggies, lean meats and protein shakes as well. But because I don't own a HRM yet I don't know how many cals I'm burning with Insanity, so I wouldn't know how many calories I need to up my intake by. And my mother has the book, idk what she's done with it..
  • alyssanichele
    Options
    The 4 cornerstones of fitness are Resistance, Cardio, Nutrition and Rest. Insanity is 1 & 2. How many calories are you getting per day? How many calories are you getting in your recovery window (directly before, and directly after your workout)? Are you getting enough rest? Gotta rest to recover those muscles!

The first day I did Insanity I took a day's rest, and then yesterday and today I did Insanity. Before Insanity my cal count was at 1280. And I doubt I'm getting enough rest, since I work and go to school every day except weekends, but even on weekends I'm up and at it. But I did end up completing Insanity today so that's a good thing!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Give it more time too. 3-4 days is still just the beginning. Are you enjoying it, looking forward to your workout? Maybe it's a mind thought too? Try to keep up your excitement and see how your body feels after say two weeks?

Keep smiling!!
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options

Maybe I do need to vamp my calories. My eating is decent. Lots of veggies, lean meats and protein shakes as well. But because I don't own a HRM yet I don't know how many cals I'm burning with Insanity, so I wouldn't know how many calories I need to up my intake by. And my mother has the book, idk what she's done with it..
    I used a HRM during mine and my burns were 4-600 per workout. But burns arent typical. I was eating atleast 2000-2100 calories a day during. Ill see if I can find my book and inbox you the equation. But it will be this tonight.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you quitting because your tired? Out of wind? Muscles sore? Just don't feel like doing it? I get winded on some moves and my legs absolutely kill me in the Level I Drills/-Ski Abs-In and Out section long before I get winded. Once you know what is causing you to quit, you can find a plan of action.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have started Insanity this week as well. I feel very empowered after I have finished it but during the workout I could punch Shawn T when he says dig deeper....:-) My only concern is that it is very hard on my knees. They truly hurt after all the power jumps:-( Not sure what I can substitute those jumps with....Any ideas?
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What shoes are you wearing, and when you're jumping, are you landing with soft knees?
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have tried both Nike free ( which I primarily use for running) and ASIC Gel Kayano18. I power up from a squat position and always land softly ( or at least try to). I have even minimized the jump but it still hurts. I do have a bad left knee...pounding the pavement since I was 16....:-( Not sure what to do.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is it because its boring?

Russ
  • alyssanichele
    Options
    Are you quitting because your tired? Out of wind? Muscles sore? Just don't feel like doing it? I get winded on some moves and my legs absolutely kill me in the Level I Drills/-Ski Abs-In and Out section long before I get winded. Once you know what is causing you to quit, you can find a plan of action.

Oh no! I don't intend to quit. I just want to know why I'm so winded by the warm up when before I was fine.
  • alyssanichele
    Options
    Give it more time too. 3-4 days is still just the beginning. Are you enjoying it, looking forward to your workout? Maybe it's a mind thought too? Try to keep up your excitement and see how your body feels after say two weeks?

Keep smiling!!

Oh yes! I'm still excited about the program. Scared, but excited. I did push through this one today though. I'll continue to stick with it :)
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to slow down and pace yourself. As he says, don't do what they are doing, do what you can do. My first couple attempts went south because I was trying to go at Shaun's pace right from the start. If I could do that, I wouldn't need to do the program.
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Alyssa,

I am thinking like others, its probably a problem with your calorie intake which is too low. I did insanity as well and i wasnt eating as much as i needed and i i felt the lack of energy on some days while doing it. Use this formula to calculate the amount of calories you should eat to have enough energy (its taken from the insanity nutrition guide)

Women's Equation - 655 +(4.35 x weight in lbs)+(4.7 x height in inches)-(4.7 x age). Then multiply that result by 1.7 (if you do insanity 6 days a week). Then if you want to LOSE weight, substract that result by 500. If you want to maintain your weight leave it as it is, if you want to gain weight, add 300 to it.

You will know how many calories you need. You might be surprised by the high amount even for weight loss (if thats your goal) but that is the required amount to have enough energy to be able to last those hard workouts :)

And dont worry about having a hard time with the workouts, when i started, i sucked pretty bad but i was doing what i could and you will improve as you do it.