Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein Shakes...

Why should I be drinking them?

Replies

• cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    because they are awesome, they reallllly fill you up and sooooo many different things you can do to mix it up a bit!
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Only use them as a supplement to get in enough protein if you are running low during the day. Depending on your workout program etc. and your goals will determine your protein needs.

Brad Hall
    P90X Certified Professional
  • treed4
    treed4 Posts: 66
    You can throw anything in them and they taste great! My daughter isn't head over heals for certain vegetables, but you throw those in (spinach, lettuce, pepper, etc) along with some fruit, you're then getting serviings of vegetables and fruit for the day! Give it a try :wink:
  • ash012
    ash012 Posts: 34 Member
    I drink them only because they are a fast and easy breakfast that fills me up. To get the same effect of fullness from one shake I would feel like eating several eggs with cheese and veggies. I sure dont have time to make a big breakfast every morning.
  • kipling527
    kipling527 Posts: 10
    Sometimes I will take a banana and strawberries and put them in a blender with a cup of non fat milk and crushed ice for a snack. That way I get in my milk and fruit with very few calories. Sort a like a smoothie without the juice.
    :smile:
  • kipling527
    kipling527 Posts: 10
    to get my protein I eat quest bars. They have 20g of protein and plenty of fiber and they great!!:love: .
  • KateL1969
    KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
    They are an expensive way of drinking milk - an invention created by the sports industry to take your money. Have milk - and add things to it as you need to. Fruit, oats, wheat bran etc. You dont need that processed expensive stuff - and neither does your wallet!
  • I use them for their intended purpose. Muscles that are worked hard tend to recover more efficiently with the protein. You do not have to make shakes. I make mine into pancakes sometimes.
  • marchphilippe76
    marchphilippe76 Posts: 2 Member
    i believe we dont need them but then again ive never used them.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    It's a love potion. If you drink them women fall in love with you.

ugh.

Harry Potter explains this a lot better.

Just watch all of those right now while drinking protein.

You'll know.

You'll just know.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    I drink protein shakes after my workout for muscle recovery, build, etc.....

I also use protein powder in smoothies for breakfast if I want something quick and on the go, that way I can make sure I get protein into my breakfast.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Almost NOTHING can make me feel as full as I do after I drink my protein shake. Seriously.. binging on insane amounts of food wouldn't even fill me up the same and comes with all of the guilt attached.

2 cups of almond milk + 1 scoop of protein powder is insanely filling. After I drink one, I'm too full to eat again for a few hours.

Oh.. and the extra protein is nice too. :)
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Almost NOTHING can make me feel as full as I do after I drink my protein shake. Seriously.. binging on insane amounts of food wouldn't even fill me up the same and comes with all of the guilt attached.

2 cups of almond milk + 1 scoop of protein powder is insanely filling. After I drink one, I'm too full to eat again for a few hours.

I take mine with almond milk too!

I have a chocolate fudge protein and I take it with unsweetened coconut almond milk. If I take it I use it as a snack .
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member

I take mine with almond milk too!

I have a chocolate fudge protein and I take it with unsweetened coconut almond milk. If I take it I use it as a snack .

I use Double Rich Chocolate and loooooove it! I'm not a fan of the coconut milk (anything coconut related in general), but my boyfriend is and that's all he uses in his protein shakes as well. The almond milk is 8,000x better than just water!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    I like a smoothie for a breakfast alternative on mornings when I do my 5 mile runs. A little protein boost. But, I don't think they are necessary nor should they dominate an eating plan. I like the portability and ease. Plus, anything that remotely reminds me of icecream or a milk shake is a bonus for my day!!! :-)
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    I use them for their intended purpose. Muscles that are worked hard tend to recover more efficiently with the protein. You do not have to make shakes. I make mine into pancakes sometimes.

^^THIS^^ After burning 600-700 calories in a high intensity interval spin class I NEED this. Like others, I am FAMISHED after spin and if I don't drink this plus 32oz of water I am literally clamoring to get to my kitchen and empty the cupboards.

I am a BIG fan of Isopure. I think, I may be wrong, but right now it is one of the best protein shakes on the market.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 438 Member
    I don't think you HAVE to if you eat a lot of protein already. I have a hard time getting enough protein as a vegetarian, so I always make a protein shake for breakfast with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, half a banana, a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, a spoonful of fat free, sugar free Jello pudding mix, and a scoop of protein powder (currently using Muscle Milk Light Chocolate Peanut Butter but I'm going to switch to something else once it's gone). Add ice and blend, and it's like drinking a milkshake for breakfast! :happy: Sooo good and it keeps me full for several hours. If I've done a really intense workout that day I'll have a shake before bed too.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member

@crochet - that should be ILLEGAL. Wish I'd seen that before my boyfriend's b'day since he wouldn't eat cake!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    Fuel for growing muscles... If you are following a lifting program and not drinking a pre or post workout shake you are really cheating yourself.