Question about Sodium

Options
So, we all know that too much sodium can make you retain water, mess with your heart, etc. But what are the concerns for not having ENOUGH Sodium? I'm supposed to have 2500mg of Sodium a day, but I eat mainly fruits and vegetables so I've been finishing out at around 1000-1500mg instead. Are there any negative aspects to being 30-60% short of my Sodium goals every day?

Replies

• jcraig1980
    jcraig1980 Posts: 34
    Options
    Not enough sodium can lead to lots of problems such as muscle cramps, confusion, fatigue, dehydration, swelling, rapid weight gain, and more.

But I have only seen that happen in an exteme case. Alcoholics and elderly are more likely to suffer from not absorbing enough sodium.
  • Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    Your sodium intake is by no means too low. No worries
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    So, we all know that too much sodium can make you retain water, mess with your heart, etc. But what are the concerns for not having ENOUGH Sodium? I'm supposed to have 2500mg of Sodium a day, but I eat mainly fruits and vegetables so I've been finishing out at around 1000-1500mg instead. Are there any negative aspects to being 30-60% short of my Sodium goals every day?

I don't think there is anything wrong with your current sodium level intake. I would love to get down to the level you're at right now.
  • stephaniecrg
    stephaniecrg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the answers. I wasn't sure if I needed to increase my sodium, but I feel a lot better now about my levels!