Gained 6 pounds in one week?

Options
Thursday of last week I weighed in at 124.6 pounds. Sunday was 130.6 and it's stayed constant all week. I originally thought that it was water weight (because I had a whole bunch of sodium on saturday/sunday) but I've done my best to stay below 2500 mg all week and have been drinking water (my diary says 8 cups / day but I usually get 13-15 cups). I've stayed below my calorie counts all week and other than slightly higher sugar/sodium, it's been an average week.

How long does a body hold onto water weight? For me, it usually only stays for 1-2 days. Is it water weight or is the extra pounds something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Could it be your scale? I would work at keeping your sodium very low (like below 1500 mg) for a few days, exercise at least 30 minutes for 3-4 days in a row and see if that helps.
  • rms171
    rms171 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It can be a combination of a bad scale, time of day (day of week) you weigh-in, exercise volume, and yes, what you are eating. If you are logging your daily in-take that should help you start to identify causes. Do not be discouraged. For many, week one is a grand success, for others it is a challenge. You have just shocked your body and it is defensive, and when it senses a caloric intake shock it starts to store rather than lose. Keep at it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you didn't eat 21,000 calories above you BMR (6lbs. x 3500 calories a lb. = 21,000 calories) .... It has to be water retention, I don't have any advice to when it will go down but you could not have gained that much fat in that short of time.......
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Could it be your scale? I would work at keeping your sodium very low (like below 1500 mg) for a few days, exercise at least 30 minutes for 3-4 days in a row and see if that helps.

I don't think it's my scale.. I checked it by weighing my kittens and some other things on it and it was really accurate with them.
    I'll try the sodium thing, basically just eat a lot of fresh nonprocessed things?
    I usually exercise for about 120-240 minutes a day.

Thank you!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    water weight - 2 days for me to get if off if I eat low sodium.
    I also can gain 5 lbs of water weight in 2 days.