Liquor...it was sent here to destroy us.

Options

Replies

• ekking69
    ekking69 Posts: 44
    Options
    We have discovered that mixing vodka with fruit flavored seltzer and the smallest amount of cranberry juice is very tasty. That way you don't get all the extra calories of the mixers. But like others, I still enjoy my glass of red wine (or two). I merely cut down and only have it a few times a week, if that. Just make sure you plan for it and you should technically be fine! Keep some of those calories for the end of the day!
  • bkguarna
    bkguarna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    On our twice weekly happy hours there's nothing better than Belvedere straight up, with a twist of lemon peel. (I used to drink them dirty, but the salt was killer).
    Follow that with a nice glass of pinot noir or montepulciano and I'm good.

We try to stick to "the rule of 2" whether its cocktails, wine, or beers, so you'd better make those 2 drinks count! Also, we've stopped drinking at home (I know people usually do the opposite to save $$) but when you're shelling out the $ for drinks out you tend to think before ordering #3, and the night cap temptation at home doesn't exist!
  • Jadesha
    Jadesha Posts: 17
    Options
    Oh I know that beer story all too well. I used to help out a friend in her bar every weekend & patrons wld keep buying be drinks. I thought nothing of it & used to down those heinekens like they were nothing plus I was not working out at all so you could imagine what happened. Right now, alcohol is totally out of my diet.....
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I LOVE wine, sadly I recently gave it up for the foreseeable future. I just can't stick to 5 oz and it was seriously derailing my efforts to lose those stubborn last 10 pounds.
  • ppaigeyy
    ppaigeyy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Red wine! Talk about calories. 110 in just 5 oz :( And who are we kidding only drinking 5 oz is laughable! I still have my wine nearly every single night but I try with all my heart and soul to stick to my piddly 5 oz. Booooo! I've changed a lot of the ways and things I eat but I'm not giving up my wine :)

Me too! Take away all the bread and pasta, FINE. But you touch my wine, and we're gonna FIGHT! ;-P

Seriously though, whenever I do my occasional 2 weeks of Phase 1 diet for South Beach, I do the complete rules and even nix the alcohol. But other than that, I have me TWO glasses of wine every evening before bed. Dessert? Pass....I'll take my wine instead! :-)
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This is something Im struggling with, always done vodka and orange juice but have been able to change to 50 calorie tropicana but thats about it, and beer, oh god, the farmers market without it just isnt right
  • ppaigeyy
    ppaigeyy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is something Im struggling with, always done vodka and orange juice but have been able to change to 50 calorie tropicana but thats about it, and beer, oh god, the farmers market without it just isnt right

Have you tried orange flavored vodka with club soda? Although, I prefer raspberry flavored. Much less calories than orange juice.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My heart is sad. I found out one single oz of single malt scotch is freaking 68 calories!!!!!

At least it's a sipper...

What drinks do you all like? It's so hard...they really pack a punch calorically speaking....

I thought I was safe drinking Skinnygirl Margarita and Sangria but then I read the serving size which is 1.5 ounces. It's 300 calories if you drink a good sized cup of the margarita. Still better then others but not as good as I thought.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Beer helps me drop weight if I drink it once but more than that I will start slowly gaining but I don't like it very much. I tend to drink vodka straight but if its bad I mix it with soda but have to start switching to diet or maybe juices. I ignore the calories since usually it isn't mentioned.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My heart is sad. I found out one single oz of single malt scotch is freaking 68 calories!!!!!

At least it's a sipper...

What drinks do you all like? It's so hard...they really pack a punch calorically speaking....

Dude...its scotch. It's worth it.
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    A day without beer just kind of sucks.

Amen.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    We learned how to calculate the calories in various types of alcohol in one of my nutrition classes this past year. It was pretty depressing. Just imagine a room full of college kids working through a page of problems and collectively realizing how many calories they drink when they go out. Lol.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I drink (and am drinking) red by the vat and am making great progress in the fat loss stakes.

The other aspects of my life have turned to #@%! but hey, I look fit :D

Love this..Funny guy!:drinker:

It would be funnier if it wasn't true ;)

I would buy it;-) I enjoy my drinks, I work hard and fit them in:-)

Seriously, getting regularly sloshed while dropping fat is a kind of pet project of mine.

I should do a DVD :)
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Seriously, getting regularly sloshed while dropping fat is a kind of pet project of mine.

I should do a DVD :)

I'd buy that for sure!
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love craft beer! One of the reasons I exercise every day is so I can indulge my habit without guilt or remorse. A day without beer just kind of sucks.

I know-I'm heading home to Missoula, MT next week...we have SO many local amazing breweries out there...namely Kettlehouse...and they make my favorite beer called "Cold Smoke". It's incredible but I really gotta watch how much I have. :( Rats

:bigsmile: I'm sooooo jealous!!! I went to school in Missoula! I LOVED it there. I was there for a year. When I left I wrote a letter to myself (which I still have) on the plane and PROMISED myself I'd live there permently one day. Didn't happen. But I did meet the man of my dreams, started a family and took them all back there for vacation. It was one of our favorite vacations ever. I love MT!!! The stars at night.....OMG! What a beautiful place!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love wine. But I cannot moderate. So I just have to mostly leave it. :-(

This^ :sad:
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Beer, wine, sangria, cava, tequila, rom, long island iced tea, mojito, caipirinha. Those I wouldn't say no. Since I don't drink frequently it's usually not a problem and/or I try to adjust.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you an amazing story.

Beer.

The End.

I love me some beer too. Biggest problem is I hate HATE light beer. I mean...Blue Moon is pushing it. I usually like Stouts and Porters...you know-almost need a spoon to consume it? If I can see my hand through the glass, I'm not happy. The darker the better...but those beers are so much higher in calories.

Oh Gods, put a Guinness Extra Stout or a Young's Double Chocolate Stout in front of and I am a happy lassie! However to pinch calories I have taken up Amaretto on the rocks when I want relax with a sipper.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My mom really like the Skinny Girl Cosmos they're a little lower in calories than other drinks. I've tried the Mikes Light Lemonade and it just doesn't cut it for me, so I still drink my Smirnoff Ice on the weekends and just try to work around it. I'm still losing weight despite it.

When my friends come home I drink hard liquor. It's only occasionally but I've found when I'm drinking things like Vodka I eat everything in sight. That's the biggest problem I have with alcohol.

LOVE Skinnygirl Cosmos! Just had some, in fact. I just make sure I have some extra calories leftover, it's pretty low in calories, so I can have a couple drinks and it hasn't seemed to harm my loss in any way.