History of the Burpee... now we know who to blame

Options
This showed up on my CrossFit affiliate website this morning.

Apparently there is a person! Royal H. Burpee, American Psychologist who used the "burpee" as a test in which a "series of burpees would be executed in rapid succession, designed to measure agility and coordination."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/the-burpee-or-squat-thrust-what-this-exercise-is-and-how-to-do-it/2011/08/11/gIQAY995IJ_story.html

Now I know who to blame when I feel like I'm dying doing a ton of burpees!

The 2nd page goes on to explain some of the different variations of the burpee including the "burpee box jump" in which instead of just jumping up after the burpee you do a box jump from the squat position. OMG, that may possibly be the stuff my nightmares are made of!!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    *kitten* hole

barbell burpees are my nemesis!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    A burpee box jump. That sounds about as enticing as running a marathon on a stair climber.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love burpees!!! I usually jump higher than average during the burpees.

Repeat after me: I LOVE BURPEES!!
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    There we go!

My new goal for next few months, do this: The Burpee Mile: Cover a mile distance with just the jumps from your burpees (taking a step forward is cheating). According to message boards for CrossFit — whose followers actually attempt this — it requires around 700 burpees and well over an hour to complete even for well-trained athletes.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    There we go!

My new goal for next few months, do this: The Burpee Mile: Cover a mile distance with just the jumps from your burpees (taking a step forward is cheating). According to message boards for CrossFit — whose followers actually attempt this — it requires around 700 burpees and well over an hour to complete even for well-trained athletes.

We do a different kind of burpee mile every Sunday (not my favorite day of the week). 4 rounds of 400m run, 25 burpees. Ends up 1 mile and 100 burpees.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    man fk burpees
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    There we go!

We do a different kind of burpee mile every Sunday (not my favorite day of the week). 4 rounds of 400m run, 25 burpees. Ends up 1 mile and 100 burpees.

We did 4 rounds of 400m and 30 burpees today...oh fun...