Realistic Weight Loss?

Options
I have been using this site for a few days now and am very impressed. I have been tracking what I eat and making sure I eat little and often (as you will be able to see) I have also been to the gym every day this week so far.
However, at the end of each day, it will say how much I will weigh on the 26th of Jan if I keep this up. I will lose 7lbs by 26th of Jan.
And to be honest... it's not much considering I will be eating little and sweating it out every day.

Will I lose more? Or is this a realistic expectation from the website? Perhaps I am too eager to get this weight off?

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It's possibly a healthy weight loss. I saw your ticker on your profile and it looks like you don't have that much to lose, so even losing 7 pounds in 5 weeks may be difficult/unrealistic.

I also looked at your food diary and my personal opinion would be you're not eating enough (assuming you're anywhere near average height). You may lose weight faster that way at first, but if you really have less than 30 pounds to lose and you're eating less than 1000 calories a day and exercising, it's quite possible your body is going to start conserving all the fat it can (which means you'll stop losing weight).

Healthy weight loss is pretty slow going, especially when you don't have an excessive amount to lose. Keep up the exercise, make sure you're eating enough, and good luck! :flowerforyou:

Oh, and check out all the posts at the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. Especially "The answers to the questions" and "newbies please read."
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    Couldn't agree more w/ jlb. Eating that little every day puts you at risk to binge too. I was trying to stick to under 1000 cals/day and the scale wouldn't budge. then when i started eating the 1200 PLUS some of my exercise cals, i saw the scale start to move again. You don't have to torture yourself to lose weight!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I agree with tvgal and jlb 123. And I want to add that if you are doing weight training you should allow your muscles time to recuperate between workouts.

You will lose the weight but it will take time. But by doing it slowly and in a healthy manner you will be more likley to keep it off.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    man, i would feel like i was STARVING if that was all I ate LOL Make sure you eat all your allowable calories.. dont let your body think it is starving, or like others have said, it will try with all its mite to hold on to the fat reserves. that is why diets dont work for a lifetime, only lifestyle changes will.

Good luck to you!
  • mayhem1969
    mayhem1969 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try to remember how long it took you to put the weight on and that will give you an idea of how long it will take to get it off. Chances are you didn't gain the pounds in a couple of weeks and so you won't lose it in a couple of weeks. It's a marathon, not a sprint. If you consume enough calories and exercise the weight will come off, and because you didn't lose it by starving yourself, you're more likely to keep it off.

Under 1000 calories a day with exercise is simply not enough calories to maintain your metabolism at its peak efficiency. In fact you run the risk that your body will begin to consume muscle mass to make up the difference. (Less muscle means less calories needed to consume or as others have suggested "survival mode"). You should also add weigh training to build muscle, which consumes more calories, increasing your caloric burn. Keep doing what you are doing and one day the scale will show results.

Good luck.
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words guys! I am 5ft 1 and around 155lbs, so I am very overweight for my size, I am very small.
    So to me, shifting this weight would mean the world to me, I just want it to happen now. I am actually quite full, I know it doesn't look like much on the page, but I have never felt hungry.
    I was just depressed that I wouldn't even have lost 10lbs by eating little and working out every day :(
    It seems an awfully long time doing this every day to lose only a little.
    But thanksyou so much :heart:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Why the worry about how long it takes? Do you plan to go back to "normal" once you reach goal weight?

I don't worry too much about how long it takes to reach goals because I don't think there's a "finish line"... I had/have a goal to reach a certain weight, but I won't quit exercising and eating right when I get there. I've done that before, and I just yo-yo'ed right back up to where I was.

Just relax, enjoy the changes your body's making, get used to healthy habits. The weight will do what it'll do.

So - how do you feel? Are you feeling any physical changes yet?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    EAT!

You're eating under 1200 calories and VERY little fat. I started off at 5'0 and 154 lbs in 2005. Now I'm still 5'0 (lol) but I weigh 130 and I looked TOTALLY different. I have lot more muscle and a lot less fat. I have never eaten less than 1200 calories, and on the rare occasion I only eat 1200, it's on accident. I lose over 1 lb a week on 1400 calories a day.

Yes, this takes time. But you'll never see the end of it if you lose patience and work yourself into the ground constantly.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words guys! I am 5ft 1 and around 155lbs, so I am very overweight for my size, I am very small.
    So to me, shifting this weight would mean the world to me, I just want it to happen now. I am actually quite full, I know it doesn't look like much on the page, but I have never felt hungry.
    I was just depressed that I wouldn't even have lost 10lbs by eating little and working out every day :(
    It seems an awfully long time doing this every day to lose only a little.
    But thanksyou so much :heart:

You need to stick with a program you can do every day for the rest of your life. That's how change happens. That's how you break a yo-yo diet type cycle. You can't just diet for a few months and then go back to doing whatever it was that caused you to be overweight in the first place. I mean, you can, but you're just going to end up where you started.

Very overweight you may be, but obese you are not. You just can't expect to lose an average of 2 pounds a week. That would most likely be unhealthy for you. Once you wrap your head around what you should expect and realize this is a lifestyle change, not just some diet to help you lose weight, you'll be happier. :smile:

To give you some perspective, I'm 5'4" and started at 270. THAT'S *very* overweight! I've lost an average of about 12 pounds a month so far but it's starting to slow down a little for me already. My expectations for the next 30 pounds or so is 10 pounds a month. For the final 50 pounds or so, I expect the weight loss to slow considerably. But, like Casper said, what's the big rush? Even if I'm at my goal weight, I'll just continue doing what I plan to do for the rest of my life-- eating healthy and exercising. :wink:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with previous posters!

I can understand the mentality of wanting to lose it all as fast as possible but just slow down, focus on the journey and not the destination. It's about learning about what your body needs. You'll get there!

I had to have this conversation with myself a few times when I was upset about not being X weight by Y date. I was like, honestly? Is the world going to end if I am not PRECISELY that weight at that time? What's the worst thing that can happen? Try to focus on the successes and appreciate them for what they are.

I've lost about 7.5 pounds four and a half weeks so far- but I've VERY rarely dipped under 1200 calories (usually I'm closer to 1400) per day. And when I do go lower than 1200, it's usually accidental. I also haven't worked out nearly as much as I should be, in my opinion. So yes, 7 pounds in 5 weeks is a realistic goal. But then my body is my body and your body is your body. What's working for me might not work for you- know know what I'm saying?
  • carpediem13
    carpediem13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has already said. The only bit I would add is to try eating more small snacks instead of larger meals. Your body has to work harder to metabolize larger meals where if you eat smaller amounts more often throughout the day it can catch up to you. It also helps so you don't get too hungry and then want to overeat when you get to food. Eating smaller meals and weight training with cardio has worked for me. You have to play around with different methods to see what's most successful for you. Goodluck!