Am I doing this right?

Options
Been struggling with my weight for a few years. It's been hurting my self esteem pretty bad. I use to be able to eat whatever/whenever and not gain a pound. I had a pretty rockin body before I had kids, lol. Anyways, I want to make sure that I am doing this right because I am so determined to lose weight and not give up. I would like to lose 30-40 lbs and I see people all over losing this weight in just a few months (Yes, I know everyone is different) and I would LOVE to reach my goal weight by next year (5 months). So, here's my info...let me know if there is anything I need to do differently, add in, or take out, etc.

Female
Age - 24
Current weight - 170lbs
Height - 5'7
BMR - 1554
BMI - 26.6 (over weight)
TDEE - 2187 (according to fitnessfrog.com with light activity...I'm a stay-at-home mom with 2 toddlers)
My goal weight is 130lbs
My current calorie intake is around 1700 per day
I exercise 5 days/week with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (MFP says I burn 225cal for 25 minutes of circuit training)
I drink 40-60oz of water per day.

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    So a deficit of about 700 calories 5 days a week, and 475 calories 2 days a week...

5 x 700 + 2 x 475 = 4450 calorie deficit a week, which is 1.27 pounds a week. 20 weeks in 5 months roughly, so about 25.4 pounds.

No. You will not make your goal. But you will be close. I do not advise making that goal, as the weight loss would be too quick (saggy skin, slowing metabolism).
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks, DanaDark. So I won't reach my goal weight of 130lbs by January, but I will still be losing a healthy amount of weight with the calorie intake and exercise plan I have...that's good. Maybe I can just push it back a few months...maybe March/April?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Hmm I have about the same goal as you. I started at 174 in May (162 currently) and I'm thinking I won't reach 130 till about April of next year at a healthy loss.

Remember it took awhile for the weight to come on so it takes awhile for it to come off!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Thanks, DanaDark. So I won't reach my goal weight of 130lbs by January, but I will still be losing a healthy amount of weight with the calorie intake and exercise plan I have...that's good. Maybe I can just push it back a few months...maybe March/April?

Sounds good. Remember, the slower it comes off, the easier it is to keep off! And also reduces the chance of saggy skin and other negative effects.

Most people that rapidly lose weight tend to put it right back on after a time.

Do remember, this has to be a LIFE change. Don't "diet" or go on some exercise binge. Find foods you can see eating till the day you die, and activities you can do as well. If you don't find these things, once you stop, the pounds will come back.
  • erdunn75
    erdunn75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert,but I'll give my advice.
    First, is that net calories? I know your doing the 30DS so your getting cardio and strength training. But its meant to be done every day, so try to up it to every day if you can or work on getting there.
    As far as your goal, you are not much past normal BMI. So its going to probably be slower loss. And as you get results from the working out, your measurements may decrease more than the scale number, so be sure your taking measurements as well.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think that your program sounds excellent, and yes, as others said, you will probably reach your goal a little later than you had hoped, but slower losses are more sustainable in the long run because you acquired them through a lifestyle that you can stick with instead of an extreme diet! Good for you and good luck :)
  • babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Options
    The faster you lose it the faster you will put it back! If you are too focused on your goal you could be adding a great deal of stress to your body and you certainly will not lose any weight.
    There lots of different reasons you are "stuck"

Are you eating back your calories? MFP is often wrong...don't recommend eating all of them but make sure your eating your standard goal.
    You have small children... are you tracking ALL of your calories? Are you eating off their plates...tasting food while you are making it?
    Where are you actually starting from? Do you have enough lean muscle or are you having to catch up? (that is where I was...had to build up some muscle before I saw any real changes)
    Does your workout wear you out? Do you crave a nap when your done...are you hot or covered in sweat? Maybe this workout is not enough?
    How badly were you eating before you started? It might be a shock to your system and once you get over the hump you will wake up one morning and your body will let go of that 3-5 pounds it was holding onto so tightly.
    The less you need to lose the harder it can be...is your goal reasonable

Be honest are you feeling better, have more energy and how are your clothes fitting? Again there a lot of different reasons why it is easier for some than others...don't stress over it...you may only be able to lose a half a pound a week. Like everyone here will say over and over again...it is a lifestyle change, don't go too fast.
  • cait0902
    Options
    The faster you lose it the faster you will put it back! If you are too focused on your goal you could be adding a great deal of stress to your body and you certainly will not lose any weight.
    There lots of different reasons you are "stuck"

Are you eating back your calories? MFP is often wrong...don't recommend eating all of them but make sure your eating your standard goal.
    You have small children... are you tracking ALL of your calories? Are you eating off their plates...tasting food while you are making it?
    Where are you actually starting from? Do you have enough lean muscle or are you having to catch up? (that is where I was...had to build up some muscle before I saw any real changes)
    Does your workout wear you out? Do you crave a nap when your done...are you hot or covered in sweat? Maybe this workout is not enough?
    How badly were you eating before you started? It might be a shock to your system and once you get over the hump you will wake up one morning and your body will let go of that 3-5 pounds it was holding onto so tightly.
    The less you need to lose the harder it can be...is your goal reasonable

Be honest are you feeling better, have more energy and how are your clothes fitting? Again there a lot of different reasons why it is easier for some than others...don't stress over it...you may only be able to lose a half a pound a week. Like everyone here will say over and over again...it is a lifestyle change, don't go too fast.

Eating back my calories? My exercise calories? Not intentionally. I just try to eat around 1700 calories, which doesn't included the 225 IMFP says I burn with the workout.

Yes, I track everything!

I don't think I have a whole lot of muscle, and probably need to add some. This is kind of what I was hoping to do with the 30DS, gain some more muscle. And then move on to another workout....I keep hearing great things about Insanity...??

My workout definitely wears me out. I am breathing heavy and covered in sweat. However, I'm not sore afterwards? Once I finish the workout, I take a shower and feel fine afterwards. Do I need a more intense workout??

Before, we would normally eat pizza (3-4 pieces), taco bell, subway, tuna sandwhiches, meatloaf, cheesecake, LOTS of soda, etc. Not a very good diet at all. But I have since cut soda back way down to 1 a day sometimes none. And I drink 40-60oz of water per day, whereas I use to not drink any.

I'm feeling a bit better, a little more energy...this is actually my second time trying to eat better and use the 30DS and I felt better the first time I think (more energy, etc) but then sprained my ankle and gave up a little.

Thanks everyone for the help!!! You all are awesome!!! Any more???
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Eating back my calories? My exercise calories? Not intentionally. I just try to eat around 1700 calories, which doesn't included the 225 IMFP says I burn with the workout.

Yes, I track everything!

I don't think I have a whole lot of muscle, and probably need to add some. This is kind of what I was hoping to do with the 30DS, gain some more muscle. And then move on to another workout....I keep hearing great things about Insanity...??

My workout definitely wears me out. I am breathing heavy and covered in sweat. However, I'm not sore afterwards? Once I finish the workout, I take a shower and feel fine afterwards. Do I need a more intense workout??

Before, we would normally eat pizza (3-4 pieces), taco bell, subway, tuna sandwhiches, meatloaf, cheesecake, LOTS of soda, etc. Not a very good diet at all. But I have since cut soda back way down to 1 a day sometimes none. And I drink 40-60oz of water per day, whereas I use to not drink any.

I'm feeling a bit better, a little more energy...this is actually my second time trying to eat better and use the 30DS and I felt better the first time I think (more energy, etc) but then sprained my ankle and gave up a little.

Thanks everyone for the help!!! You all are awesome!!! Any more???

If you are tired and sweaty, you are getting a good cardio workout. However, if you are not even a little sore, you are likely NOT working your muscles. To build muscle, you essentially need to eat more (especially protein) and lift heavy things, haha. There are also body weight exercises you can do if you don't have access to weights.
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    totally agree with DanaDark... it's better to take it off slowly and with healthy modifications than to take it off super quick and have all the saggy skin.... i've seen the saggy skin, and it's not a pretty sight! my friend had gastric bypass (which i completely disagree with 100%) and lost 160lbs in like 6-8 months... she had to have stomach surgery because it hung so far down. it was really gross. i have lost a lot of weight (more inches than anything) and don't have saggy skin because i did it at a reasonable rate and did strength training to tone my body as i was losing. so... DanaDark is right :) slow and steady wins the race!
  • nnelson0411
    nnelson0411 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would increase your daily fluid intake to 120 ounces a day...mainly water! I did this per a recommendation and it has helped me tremendously.
  • cait0902
    Options
    I would increase your daily fluid intake to 120 ounces a day...mainly water! I did this per a recommendation and it has helped me tremendously.

How? Maybe it's because I'm not use to drinking water, since I drank NONE before, but how to get yourself to drink so much?