BMR

Options
2»

Replies

• kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    To answer your other question - If you didn't eat anything, yes, your body would still burn all of your BMR calories so you would be at -1500 calories.

Initially! the human body is very adaptable and your BMR will actually decrease to survive on less calories. Eating so little would be harmful to your health, your weightloss would most likely slow, and just generally I wouldn't recommend it. lol.

This is why you never want to eat below your BMR calories.

So lets say your BMR is again, 1500, and you burn 1000 calories doing activities. So your total burn for the day would be 2500. The absolute least you should eat this day would be 1500 calories, though many would recommend eating 2000 calories so you have a reasonable calorie deficit of 500/daily, which means you would lose 1 lb a week.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Your body uses calories for maintaining your organs (BMR) and fueling your daily activities. You eat more than you need for those things, it will be stored as fat. I'm sorry but I really can't make it any simpler than that.
  • SaintsGal
    SaintsGal Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Kekl,

I have added you and sent you a message :)

x
  • ichigo007
    ichigo007 Posts: 97
    Options
    There are two numbers you look at when you are looking at your body and how much it is burning with out doing exercise.

First one: Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
    There is your BMR which like others have mention is the calculated absolute approximate minimum calories your body needs to function doing nothing but resting all day.

Second one: (TDEE) Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    http://www.quickbmr.com/what-is-tdee.html
    Is basically your BMR multplied by a activity Multiplier for your normal everyday activities not including exercise.

You need to calculate your TDEE and minus off your calorie deficate from this number but don't go under your BMR. If you exercise you need to eat most of those calories also.

you can accuratly calculate your BMR, TDEE and your modified calorie goal at this site:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body would burn if you literally just sat there being alive. No moving, no doing anything at all just existing and breathing. As a living breathing human that is functioning and typing at your computer and or phone... you are burning more than your bmr.
    If you burn 500-1000 calories by excercising, walking to your car, talking to people, going to work etc.... then yes you could eat 2000to 2500 calories a day and just maintain your current weight depending on your level of activity.

Just keep in mind that everyone's body and metabolism etc is different it's not as simple as the number game. If what you're doing is working good when it doesn't work or stops working re evaluate.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Ok so say my maintenance calorie goal was 2500. Does that mean I could eat 2500 with no exercise, then minus my 1500 BMR to leave 1000. Would that mean I had another 1500 calories to eat?

Please explain if I am wrong
    x

It might be simpler to ignore BMR. If you maintain your current weight at 2500, then anything you eat less than that will contribute to weight loss. (Your BMR is the main part of that 2500.)

To lose roughly 1 lb/week, eat around 2000. To lose roughly 2 lbs/week, eat around 1500. Under this method, do not 'eat back' exercise, just eat 1500-2000.