advice from pp......small vent

Options
lsjd2000
lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
Can I just say don't give advice unless you know what you are talking about -

I am so tired of people at work telling me to not weight lift and just do cardio to lose weight :noway: I have tried to explain to them that wieght training helps you to lose weight - and I have lost more weight since I started really using my free weights again then just doing cardio but you know every has an opinion (granted the person telling me this is trying to lose weight and hasn't lost any - she doesn't want to use weights cause she will "bulk up" even though I tried to explain that women don't bulk very easily esp with a calorie defict.... Oh why do people feel the need to talk sometimes

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    problem is that most people think they know cause they are parrots.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    problem is that most people think they know cause they are parrots.

This... everything said in the media is true. ALL OF IT! You should totally give up now because you are going to get fat if you eat fruit, carbs, red meat, or anything with fat in it!

Oh and lifting weights? Fuh-get about it!
  • WannaBeSlimJim2
    WannaBeSlimJim2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can only grin and be polite for so long....until you reach the point.. and say **** OFF and shut it, unless spoken too. Don't sweat it man. Everyone has to feel like a genius at some point...you just seem to be surrounded! lol
    If you're happy with what you are doing, and satisfied...who the hell cares.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Me: ooo greek yogurt my favorite!
    SO: Don't get that it has a lot of fat in it
    Me: Can you explain to me how much of an insulin spike I could get from eating fat rich foods?
    SO: .....
    Me: Okay then.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I tend to give advice out a lot to family, friends, and others. But I try to ensure my advice is safe, sound, logical, and reasonable.

I do get a little fidgety around people that give wrong advice. Especially when they give wrong advice to me. I have a pretty strong grasp of what is right and wrong in regards to weight loss and management. So, when I tell someone I am trying to lose a few pounds, they just feel the NEED to tell me what they've heard, as though it is some sort of divine inspiration.

Funny thing is that we all already know the way to do it... we just NEED the hope of that magic bullet that will be so much faster than "normal". So, we latch onto any random diet/exercise plan that comes along no matter how incorrect.
  • ppaigeyy
    ppaigeyy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's interesting, cause of friend mine just posted this a few minutes ago:

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/aging/photos/8-diet-and-exercise-mistakes-age-you#0

It's titled 8 Diet and Exercise Mistakes That Age You, and it specifically says you need to do yoga and strength training, NOT just cardio.

I know I know I know....this is just yet another "Media said it! Must be true!" But I just happen to agree with this one. :wink:

These days, most work out programs incorporate cardio and strength together anyway, which is what I love.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Well when you reach your goal and they ask how you got there, be like "You know that advice you gave me?!?!!?!??"
    Them: "yeah???"...........
    You: "I didn't take it!!!!"
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    you go right ahead and do your cardio and weight training..I've had amazing results from my weight training. Everyone has an opinion and an *kitten*..and the same stuff spews.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Well when you reach your goal and they ask how you got there, be like "You know that advice you gave me?!?!!?!??"
    Them: "yeah???"...........
    You: "I didn't take it!!!!"
    ^^^^^this
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    That's interesting, cause of friend mine just posted this a few minutes ago:

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/aging/photos/8-diet-and-exercise-mistakes-age-you#0

These days, most work out programs incorporate cardio and strength together anyway, which is what I love.

Horray,, you can combine the two. Especially when time is at a premium. Thought I was a lone voice, silly noob that I am.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Me: ooo greek yogurt my favorite!
    SO: Don't get that it has a lot of fat in it
    Me: Can you explain to me how much of an insulin spike I could get from eating fat rich foods?
    SO: .....
    Me: Okay then.

I like this two - I use some info from the eat fat lose fat book and have done better - plus I stay fuller longer :)