Need help with home exercise equipment!

Options
I have knee problems. Have forever. They were built wrong and I will always have them, according to my FIRST orthopedic.

So I've finally decided to sell my treadmill (since I barely use it) and replace it with either a stationary bike or an elliptical machine, since both are low impact for knees.

I desperately need help choosing an affordable home machine. I need one that will hold a decent weight to start, that feels sturdy and doesn't rock like crazy while being used. It needs to have bells and whistles, like stride adjustment, tension, calories burned, etc.

Do you have one at home? What do you use and would you recommend it? Help!

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals such as you are describing are, unfortunately, pretty much NEVER affordable. The good ones with all the features are considered "gym-quality," and usually cost in the thousands. I have a used mid-quality elliptical that I picked up for $150 that was $400 new, it has no features (it has a clock and calorie counter but you don't input your stats so it isn't even remotely accurate), no adjustable stride, and makes loud clunking sounds if you use it for too long. Also, it slides across the floor when I use it, and I'm only 145 lbs, so I doubt it's because I'm too heavy! Your best bet might be to try to find a used one on craigslist or something if you're on a budget.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Go to Craigs List . . . TONS of exercise eq there. I found my gorgeous, wonderful recumbent bike with all the bells and whistles at a garage sale for $60.00! You don't have to spend a lot!!!

Good Luck!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would get a stand for your regular bike that you use outside. Any decent machine will cost you a lot. In Winter I bring my bike in and hook it up to the stand. It has two fans for resistance and a tension knob . It works great and is a fraction of the cost of a machine.
  • better_than_yesterday
    Options
    I have an eliptical that has the different programs, cal. counter, "bells and whistles" and I actually got it off of craigslist. I am not sure where you live, but check the surrounding areas (be careful-craigslist can be sketch at times), but mine was $125 and it was just because someone wanted it out of their house because they didn't need it. It's worth a shot-if there isn't one on there now, check back every few days because people are ALWAYS adding things. (I am actually on the search for a stationary bike now :smile: )Good luck!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There was a small device my mom would use in the winter to transform her bicycle into a stationary bicycle. You install that under the back wheel and you can pedal on the spot.
    search Magnet Steel Bike Bicycle Indoor Exercise Trainer Stand on amazon, I am not recommending any product in particular but they are cheap and they do the job.