Lactose free protein powder?

Options
Is protein powder lactose free? or do they make one that is?

Replies

• makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Will be stalking this too as I would like to know!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Nope, Whey protein is made from milk, whey isolate contain less lactose than whey concentrate so some people who struggle with dairy can still have these

THe other options would be
    Egg protein
    Soy protein
    Rice protein
    Hemp protein

Optimum nutrition do an egg protein product, have a look at that, wouldn't bother with any of the others personally.
  • kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i use one that is lactose free. if youd like more info on it you can message me
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Look for Vegan Protein Powder. I use Rice Protein. I mix it with Chocolate Silk and it works for me.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use Healthy n Fit 100% egg protein powder in the vanilla flavor - I really like it. It blends well!

My doctor wants me to switch to whey protein, and I said my stomach doesn't handle milk well. He said he uses it himself, and is lactose intolarant.. I just bought my egg protein powder 2 wks ago. I'll buy a small whey protein container next and see how I do with it...
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Look for Vegan Protein Powder. I use Rice Protein. I mix it with Chocolate Silk and it works for me.

How does rice protein powder and whey protein compare?
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you have problems with lactose, try mixing your protein powder with a probiotic yogurt. It has some enzymes that will help your body break down the lactose.
  • Kimminer77
    Kimminer77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    YEP There is a Vegan Chocolate and Tropical Strawberry Shakeology. I use the Chocolate and LOVE it. It's so much more than just a protein shake too. I have tried a few different brands of shake but none compare. Shakeology has like 70+ whole superfoods which is great if you have trouble getting in your daily dose of fruits and veggies. You can message me if you want more info.

I also have an online FB fitness group with people of all fitness levels. Great for motivation, advice, recipe sharing, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/50shadesoffitness/
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use Hemp Protein Powder.
    ic-Protein-Fiber-30-Ounce/dp/B001JU6BYE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1343410126&sr=8-5&keywords=nutiva+hemp+protein

The one without fiber has even more protein.
  • belly1026
    belly1026 Posts: 3
    Options
    There are plenty of lactose free protein powder in the market.
    Iso 100 by Dymatize and Muscle Milk are a couple of names that come to mind.
    I'm lactose intolerant and I'm currently taking Iso 100.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options

How does rice protein powder and whey protein compare?

The kind I use has 60 calories per heaping tablespoon, no fat, 8 mg of sodium, 12 grams of protein and 1 gram of fiber. It has no flavor so it mixes nicely with whatever you put it in.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Well there's soy, rice, hemp, and egg protein powders. If you are referring to whey, you could give isolate a try. I am moderately lactose intolerant (can't drink milk or eat cheesey things, but I can still have butter and very aged cheeses in moderation) and I am okay with about one serving of whey isolate a day. Concentrate bloats me however so probably stay away from most to all protein bars.
  • Takayab
    Takayab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Visalus protein powder is lactose free.
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use Vega Sport protein powder. It's gluten, dairy and egg free.
    More expensive than most but I really enjoy the taste and it's uber filling.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    MHO, if you are looking for protein powder, hemp protein is the way to go:

You can get it at most health stores, or you can buy in bulk and save from a Canadian Company called Hemp Oil Canada.
    http://hempoilcan.com

You can get it with or without fiber. It also has a huge complex of essential fatty acids and Omega3 and Omega6. The one from Canada has 49g protein per serving.

Fatty Acid Profile per 100g of Hemp Protein Powder (43%)

Fatty Acid Weight (g)
    Myristic Acid 0.01
    Palmitic Acid 0.67
    Stearic Acid 0.23
    Oleic Acid (Omega 9) 1.18
    Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 6.21
    CLA 0.09
    Arachidic Acid 0.07
    Gamma Linolenic Acid 0.43
    Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) 1.92
    Stearidonic Acid 0.09
    Behenic Acid 0.03

Amino Acid Profile per 100g of Hemp Protein Powder (43%)

Amino Acid Weight (g) Amino Acid Weight (g)
    Aspartic 4.595 Theronine 1.567
    Serine 2.287 Glutamic 8.338
    Proline 1.688 Glycine 2.013
    Alanine 1.943 Cysteine 0.859
    Valine 2.192 Methionine 1.12
    Isoleucine 1.718 Leucine 3.04
    Tyrosine 1.407 Phenylalanine 2.071
    Histidine 1.222 Lysine 1.685
    Arginine 5.323 Tryptophan 0.376

Protein Digestibility: 93%

PDCAAS: 0.65