A Pulmonary Embolism Will Definitely Wake You Up...

Options
So back in 2008, I weighed my heaviest at 340 pounds, I was married to my high school sweetheart who I deeply loved, but unhappy and depressed with myself, but had no motivation or drive. Then one day, I woke up from a nap with a horrible pain in my right calf that I thought was just a cramp, so I had my husband massaging it to try to work it out. The pain just got worse, and 2 days later, I suddenly collapsed. I still remember the pain and fear of that moment. Everything was spinning, I was having very sharp, painful chest pains, and I couldn't even speak, even though I was screaming for help in my head. Luckily, I fell onto my bed, and my husband woke up a few moments later and helped my breathing return to normal. I was so out of breath, having difficulty hearing, speaking, and moving. The next day, I was so weak, had trouble walking and talking, and couldn't keep anything down, so my husband took me to the hospital, where I was told I had a massive blood clot in my calf and some of it had traveled up through my heart and into my lungs. I was very lucky to be alive and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. As I was laying in the hospital bed, it hit me that I was going to die if I didn't make a change, and I cried almost all night.
I was ordered not to work for an entire year, so my husband had to get a 2nd job to pay the bills, which gave me time to recover, relax, and begin my change...but it also gave my husband time to meet someone else at his 2nd job to have an affair with. So on top of being depressed, I was devastated about my marriage, and just wished I really had died.
Fast forward to now, I have lost a total of 138 pounds and feel wonderful!! I do have a blood clotting disorder now due to the embolism and will be on blood thinners for the rest of my life. I even had another clot in the same calf in December 2011, but now since I know the signs, it was caught early. I am living proof that it can be done, when I never thought I ever accomplish this. I am actually happy that I went through everything, because what nearly killed me actually saved my life.
I have been divorced now since 2009, to which he begged me not to go through with...yeah right...and also went back to school and graduated just this past May and I am in a new relationship that is going very well so far. :blushing:

And I just have to say...when my ex-husband saw me for the first time since my weight loss, I highly enjoyed seeing the look on his face...but I enjoyed turning him down even more! :laugh:

Replies

• sara_navarr0
    Options
    So scary!!!! Im glad youre alive and well!!!!
  • kittenkris
    kittenkris Posts: 112
    Options
    Awesome job on getting your health and your life back. What an amazing story, thanks for sharing.
  • kelelaanne
    kelelaanne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Way to take control of your body and life!!!
  • Streetpreacher82
    Streetpreacher82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are doing well and how much you have accomplished!

I can synpathize as last November I walked into the ER with severe chest pains only to learn I had a life threatening bi-lateral pulmonary embolism. Talk about throwing me for a loop! Unfortunately, the source for my clots was never found and I as well am on blood thinners for life with a yet to be determined genetic issue. It took me a while to get to where I felt like I could start and now here I am 7 weeks in.

Thanks for sharing your story. It is always good to hear from someone else who went through the same thing!
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am so glad your story turned out to be a great one! (minus the divorce of course) My sister died from the same thing in 2007 at the age of 47. I miss her dearly everyday and wish that she would have had the bruise on her thigh checked out from being thrown from a horse. Good luck on your journey for the rest!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Your story really hit close to home, as my mom died from a pulmonary embolism at 44 and blood clotting disorder also runs in my family.
    GOOD FOR YOU for taking charge and making the positive changes in your life! Sometimes life sends you down an ugly bumpy road, but your attitude is positive and amazing. I hope you have many happy times coming your way :smile:
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. How heartbreaking about your health and marriage but it sounds like you are back on your feet and in good shape :) You deserve all the happiness you have!
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    wow what a terrifying experience. it's breaks my heart to think that you were being cheated on while recovering, doing nothing wrong, but it's SO great that you rebounded so well and are taking your health by the horns! and yes, what a satisfying feeling to know you're doing better than your ex :)
  • jenzsd
    jenzsd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am so happy you survived two awful blood clots and it gave you the chance to turn your life around to a healthier you! It's terrible about your ex-husband, but it's nice to hear you are in a much better place now. Talk about taking the bad and turning it into good - you rock! Congratulations on your successes and your new health! :)
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle! I'm glad to hear you are well! Keep up the good work!
  • deanna200284
    deanna200284 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Like a few others in this thread, I have seen first hand how deadly pulmonary embolisms are. My brother, who was very overweight died at the age of 27 from one. He had severe pain in his calf and just assumed it was a leg cramp. After a couple days he started getting dizzy and could barely walk. When he finally got medical attention they I guess assumed it was his blood sugar because it was somewhere over 500. While he was laying in the bed waiting for the doctors to come back he suddenly flat-lined and they weren't able to revive him. I don't fully remember, but I think they didn't find out that it was a pulmonary embolism until they did the autopsy. I'm so glad you were able to recover from yours and turn your life around. That's awful what your husband did, but you are better off without him!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thats so scary (and sad about your douche of an ex) but we're all glad you've lived, not just lived but THRIVED, to tell us all! Kudos to you and keep up the great work and keep inspiring us all! :)
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Way to go! And congratulations on your second chance in life and love and for ditching the dork!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wow so scary but so glad you came out of that with a success story. How upsetting to find your ex doing that after all you'd been through. Good for you! Best wishes for everything you every do.
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    Options
    My father had this same problem on March 5, 2012... the only thing that was different was that he died. He got up to get his dinner out of the microwave, fell to the floor, and just died. Examination after death revealed that he had a blood clot in his leg that had traveled to his heart and killed him instantly. He had no pain in his leg... no signs of a clot... he was watching tv, got up, and died. You are truly lucky to be alive... and, judging by what you have done with your life, you obviously know how blessed you are to have another chance to live. Congrats on everything you have done... it's truly remarkable! :)
  • Taitter
    Taitter Posts: 1
    Options
    As a cardiac nurse I can appreciate the severity of your past incident. Congratulations on making a life changing choice and for surviving what most do not. Charge on!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Wow...what a story. Very inspirational!
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Way to go! What an incredibly inspirational story. As for the ex husband, his loss! I'm glad you have someone that can appreciate you, for you.
  • meglet175
    meglet175 Posts: 98
    Options
    How wonderful for you that you have taken such a positive spin on such horrible circumstances, and that you didn't just give up on life, but instead took charge - and just look where you are as a result! Way to go!

I had a much smaller epiphany of sorts when I fell and broke my arm badly a few months ago. I hated being helpless while in a huge, bent-arm cast, and vowed to take better care of myself when the cast came off and I could once again bathe and dress myself. (Not to mention that I think I might have avoided the fracture had I not been such a pudge and fallen so gracelessly in the first place...)
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wow a horrific experience but actually kind of lucky you had to go through that (embolism) to get your health back. That REALLY sucks about your ex though, what a jerk! Keep up the awesome work!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!