Do you "save" calories?

Options
Do any of you "save" calories for a special splurge meal? Like...say you know you will be going to a great restaurant with friends and you want to live a little...will you eat under your calories a few days so that when you do go out to dinner, you have wiggle room and can enjoy yourself without destroying your deficite for the week?

I do this...hubster and I going to our favorite restaurant tomorrow and no way am I going to diet (though I have decided to skip wine and focus on enjoying the to die for food and dessert!) so I have been saving calories....so far I have 800 saved...on top of whatever Im alotted for dinner tomorrow. Ive always wondered if it does help or if Im just deluding myself!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If its within a day I am willing (So eating less Friday to enjoy more Saturday).

Or during the same day (Going to have great dinner food, go light on lunch).

But not over the course of a week. I know the body doesn't go based on a 24 hour clock of calorie counting, but at the same time, I do not know when exactly this "reset" goes by, so, I try to keep my plan to a 24 hour period as much as possible.

If its a special thing, I just simply DO NOT WORRY about it. Weight loss goals are not trampled in a day (Unless EVERY Saturday you eat your entire week's deficit up lol).
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Maybe if I know I'm going to eat a heavy dinner I'll eat a light lunch, but not much beyond that. If you know this event is going to be a rare thing then enjoy yourself, try not to eat to bursting, and get back to your regular diet and exercise the next day.
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We have date night once a week. I will not be gorging on fried food and tons of butter and sugar...the place we are going to (and the places we frequent) tend towards healthier menu options, fresh and local food and cleaner preparations. Tonight we will probably have some artisnal cheese and bread, one or two veggie sides and fresh grilled fish. We will share a reasonably sized dessert. Having a desk job, despite working out like I do, keeps my calorie intake low if I want to lose. And with restaurant food...you never know how much oil is going into cooking.
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    Options
    I have a weekly tradition of going out to happy hour with a group of friends on Friday nights. I'll save some calories on Fridays because I know I'll have at least one beer, usually followed by some sort of restaurant meal...it works for me.
  • JoniRiaya
    JoniRiaya Posts: 79
    Options
    I do this. Not all the time, but I did it about a month ago for my birthday dinner and am doing it this week for family reunion which starts tonight and goes until Sunday. I doubt I have enough saved for all the yummy food and drinks, but I feel it'll help some :) I don't know if I'm fooling myself or not, but it makes me feel better at least seeing my weekly calories under goal.