Making gains with lighter weights?

Options

Replies

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    OP, check out this article. I think it will help answer your questions in greater detail.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/truth-rep-ranges-muscle-growth
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OP, check out this article. I think it will help answer your questions in greater detail.

• gamesandgains
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Now, something like Layne Norton's PHAT program may be a good idea. Two days of strength and three days of hypertrophy. It's a bit of the best of both worlds, but it does require more days in the gym.

I'm currently on this, man! Great program.
  • gamesandgains
    Options
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I'm a female, but yes it's a great program.
  • wargrrl
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    wargrrl wrote: »

You never answer the earlier question:

You are 5 feet tall, weight 100 lbs and you squat 205 lbs on an Olympics bar for reps of 5?

Yes!

Its kind of scary squatting double my weight tbh
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!!
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    omg you are beast. what was the question again and why are you asking us lmao
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I train legs 2-3 days a week

Im 100lbs, 5'0'

i changed up my squats to 5 x 5 recently...used to do 4 x 8

you squat 205 for reps!!!!!! :o at a body weight of 100lbs. if your squatting to depth thats beast! all I can say at is at this stage is if you want to progress you should be on a good intermediate power lifting program. if you search on youtube for "powerlifting to win", the guy does some good reviews of power lifting programs and seems to know what he is talking about
  • usmcmp
    Options
    KingRat79 wrote: »

Im 100lbs, 5'0'

you squat 205 for reps!!!!!! :o at a body weight of 100lbs. if your squatting to depth thats beast! all I can say at is at this stage is if you want to progress you should be on a good intermediate power lifting program. if you search on youtube for "powerlifting to win", the guy does some good reviews of power lifting programs and seems to know what he is talking about

Yeah, that's getting close to world record territory in some federations (definitely national record for drug tested federations).
  • wargrrl
    Options
    KingRat79 wrote: »

Im 100lbs, 5'0'

Thanks i will look into it!
  • wargrrl
    Options
    fittestpal wrote: »

I was just wondering if i can still make booty gains but w lighter weight, below 205lbs. Altho im getting stronger its kinda scary squatting so heavy lol
  • usmcmp
    Options

I was just wondering if i can still make booty gains but w lighter weight, below 205lbs. Altho im getting stronger its kinda scary squatting so heavy lol

There are tons of other exercises that are excellent for glute activation. Glute ham raise, hip thrusts, RDL's to name a few.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sort of a complicated answer but generally speaking, it should be possible to continue to grow while not necessarily squatting 205+ but your total workload (training volume) should still increase over time. At some point you'd go back over 205 in that process, most likely.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Sort of a complicated answer but generally speaking, it should be possible to continue to grow while not necessarily squatting 205+ but your total workload (training volume) should still increase over time. At some point you'd go back over 205 in that process, most likely.
    basically this.

Something has to increase over time. It doesn't have to be weight. But workload or intensity must increase. that means either more volume, more intensity, shorter rest and same workload, more weight.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Have you tried going to a hypertrophy style lifting routine??
    Drop your weight down to ~60% of your 1RM, and rep it out?