WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 1433479le3q4a7az6.gif 2333672elrbd0zge7.gif

smiley-happy026.gifWelcome to a community of supportive and encouraging women. The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome. The journey to health, weight loss, energy, well-being, and longevity is best taken with others who share our goals and values.

smiley-happy026.gif I hope you will check in here daily and share what’s going on, respond to each other, and ask questions.

smiley-happy026.gif How did you do with your goals and resolutions for October?

smiley-happy026.gif What goals and resolutions have you set for November?

smiley-happy026.gif Please sign your posts with your name (or alias) and your location so we can get to know each other better.

smiley-hug011.gif Barbie from beautiful but getting darker NW Washington

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

October Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk 18,000 steps a day (every day, with some days over 20,000)
*act the way I want to feel (this gets to be more automatic all the time)
*strength training twice a week
* answer the letter to my friend that I've been putting off too long (finished and sent the letter early in the month)

November Resolutions
*walk 18,000 steps a day
*don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
*strength training twice a week
*put important dates on the 2015 wall calendar

146200.png

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,061 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Bump! Almost forgot to bookmark it, so I could find it again.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of HIIT on the elliptical today. Wanted to burn some extra calories. Tomorrow's plan is to do the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD.

Renny - gee, I have that exact same habit! Must be contageous

Joyce - I do hope everything goes well for you meeting this guy

Cynthia - I've tried and for some reason I just can't seem to get down the technique of bending my fingers. I don't know what it is. My grandmother was great at it.

Joyce - I've read that putting baking soda in the washing machine helps get rid of odors. I also have this stuff called Odoban (someone on here suggested it for the cat urine smell) which I got at Home Depot and that works pretty well.

barbie - aren't pumpkins supposed to be fat and round???? You look great in your costume. I remember one year I had an operation on Hallooween and wore this fake pig nose into the OR.

Sylvia - what a wonderful thought to give that dog to your friend with the cancer!

kataniki - NSV = NonScale Victory like wearing a smaller size clothes, being able to do something you weren't able to do previously

Cynthia - off the top of my head, I can't think of any warm thing to have as a snack, except for the usual tea, that is. But then again, I wonder....if you make up the frozen banana (thawed)/cocoa mixture, wonder why you couldn't warm it up in the microwave? I'm going to try that this winter.

Vicki - We're going to see TSO in concert Nov. 23. Since Labor Day (really, a few weeks after) I've had their Christmas CD's in my car listening to them. Happy anniversary! Are you going out for your anniversary?

Bonnie - welcome to a great group!

When I was at the Green Room, they told me about this house near me that really decorates for Halloween, so Vince and I went there last night. I do have to say, I was impressed. It wasn't anything like that house that was professionally decorated. Well, they had these strobe lights out. Vince didn't think you could do that since the strobes he has aren't weatherproof. But that was an inspiration for him. For the life of me I couldn't understand why all day long he kept watching weather.com. Well, he'd gotten the inspiration to get his strobes, put them in a plastic container, put plastic on the outside and use them outside. Right now he's outside taking pics of the decorations but he just said "it's lightly raining outside".

barbie - what Halloween songs did you use?

Sylvia - did the shelter scan him for a chip? The reason I ask is because 3 of our cats have one type of chip and the other cat has a different type. My understanding is that the Humane Society here can scan for both types, but I know that our vet can only scan for the one type. Lexi has Avid and the other cats have Home Again chips. I do hope you find the owner, someone out there is brokenhearted.

Lesley - I'm very impressed with your dedication to your food and exercise.

We usually get about 50-60 trick or treaters, this year we only got about 30. Then again, it started raining (and at one point raining heavily). The last kids who came here got A LOT. Having a BIG, and I do mean BIG, bowl of popcorn sure helped keep me away from the candy. OK, I had one of the fun sized bars (and one earlier in the day) but that's all

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    No trick or treaters ... 3 bags of candy ... and no willpower whatsoever...

Will post goals tomorrow ... which may include having jaws wired shut! Sheesh.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,102 Member
    Options
    Happy November..........! B)<3B)
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    50 trick and treaters candy gone thank heavens
    goals for november are continue forward, lost 4 lbs in october after having to start over

welcome to November
    juanita
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Michele, the Halloween songs we danced to were: Monster Mash, This is Halloween, Spooky, Bad Moon Rising, Purple People Eater, Witch Doctor, Thriller, Little Red Riding Hood, Ghostbusters.

1596202czms4qfz9z.gif
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Darn.........I must have been writing at the same time Barbie was doing the new thread; my post ended up on the next page of the old one after her link!!! Too tired to do it again and no clue if I could move it over here--probably not. Oh, well........g'nite (again!!)
    yanniejannie
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Boo!

It's after 9:00 and we had six trick or treaters, not counting my three grandkids. And the first two were teenagers, way too old for this.

Michele, yes, they scanned him with two different handsets.

I'm going to bed early.

Happy November everyone!

Sylvia
    In Kansas where Jack Frost is visiting tonight.

45477098.png[/url]}
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Darn.........I must have been writing at the same time Barbie was doing the new thread; my post ended up on the next page of the old one after her link!!! Too tired to do it again and no clue if I could move it over here--probably not. Oh, well........g'nite (again!!)
    yanniejannie

Yanniejannie, Here is your post, copied from the October thread

Good evening, all,

Our kids have been here and gone; about 40 to 50, most adorable but some WAY too old. Our community upper age limit is supposed to be 12; a lot of the older ones had no costume and were just holding out their t-shirts to cradle the candy. Toward the end I was giving out handfuls. I made my purchase at 5pm today so I wouldn't eat it all........and still some of the Twix made it in my mouth!

Sylvia.........Well, it's been over 24 hrs., personally, I'm hoping the little guy gets a good home with your ill friend. You have gone above and beyond to find his owners if they are local.

Terri and Vicki.......Brrrrrrrrrrr......

Margaret........Pencils, well, I think it's a good idea too. I have a friend with a husband who is a dentist.........one year they gave out toothbrushes......not popular!

Barbie........Love your kitties!!!

Cindy........How very sweet of your DH to carry the old pug girl around.

Joyce.........Hope the visit went well. Fingers crossed!

Juanita..........Hi!!

Kataniki..........I'm with you about not getting drawn in to others drama; my DD (22 now) (and her friends) has been known to exaggerate circumstances and events somewhat. Every situation is different, but usually I found refusing to participate in the outrage and anger about the unfairness of life (or whatever event), etc. by listening only for a limited amt. of time, speaking slowly and calmly and asking how they were going to eventually deal with it to be effective to take the air out of their drama queen posturing many times. I have been known to say: " We are resolving nothing. This conversation is terminated for the time being." to my DD and turn and walk away. I found that often the more she spoke the more she fed off the story and got more wound up.

Cynthia.......Neat pic!

G'nite everyone!
    yanniejannie.........Oh, no--turned the heat on for the first time today.........
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Happy November! Got through Halloween evening without eating any candy, but did have 1 cookie. Tomorrow, however, is a different story because it's my birthday. Good night!
    Mary in south Florida
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,061 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good Evening Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers.

talk.gif
    Had to turn the lights out an hour ago. We ran out of candy. I had to use my emergency candy I take when I sub. I only give out treats as a last resort when I sub. This year I have only had one such class. It is a class I will not go back to. We had about 120 this year. I think it is because it was a Friday night. It was cold here only in the mid 30’s. The picture is part of my Halloween decorations. The kids love them.

The face is Joe Mauer a popular Twin player here is the Twin Cities.

ewkrh00dqq49.jpg

smiley-bounce017.gif for all the friends reaching their health goals.
    2014 word:contentment

rose.gifMNMargaret

28257843.png

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween for all who celebrate; we don’t get many kids trick or treating but I love them even the “older” ones… so far (8pm) I have had 17….

YannieJannie – yeah toxic folks are tough…I will wait this out a few more months and see if changing my reactions/and look at the situation will affect anything.
    Excellent choice on a donation in Gin’s name!

Donna – GREAT NSV to choose walking over eating and drinking!!!

Cynthia – out here they call it Knife skills….

Meg – Oh my that will be an event…

Sue – how nice for you to help that little girl have such a good birthday

Sylvia – sounds like you should have given him pasta! I don’t want another dog!!! I hope he is microchipped and there is a family just worrying and happy to get a call he is found

Joyce – sending good thoughts for your visit with Michelle and the new friend. Sorry to hear about the “laundry” mess – if some of the tablecloths need to be “bleached” but are older – you can use lemon juice in the water and that will help lighten the colors and will help cut the mildew smell.

Viv - Glad to hear DH’s heart is good, and the shake drinks is a good idea.

Cynthia – sad to hear about the ten lbs, but you’ll get back on track as some of the stressors go away, and you’ll get it off.

Heather – great control!!! DH will figure it out, and maybe having DH say something will be a “wake-up” call to the money grubbing lout.

Kayaniki – NSV non-scale victory 

Sally – sounds like you and the dogs have so much fun!

Barbie – how did you know I needed to know how to post a picture or two?

October Goals:
    Breathe
    Log every day
    Walk every day

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    88lce482kdxg.jpg

I always carve at least one pumpkin... this was this years...
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    rqd40ouryyux.jpg

this was the "bat" appetizer I made for gourmet, it is a little cheese ball rolled in poppy seeds, slices of green olives stuffed with pimento for eyes and blue corn tortilla chips for wings...
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    October Goals Report:

1. Log every bite and swallow: I slacked off a few times on this one, and I’m not too pleased with myself. I have had a few bumps in weight, but they’ve gone back down quickly. Today was an indulgent one. My food choices were great, but I ate too much Halloween Candy. :mad:

2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week: I’ve done a good job with this, and managed to add riding lessons to my life! I am very pleased. :bigsmile: My riding lesson was another balance exercise. This time I had a saddle and trotting, but still no bridle. She removed the stirrups about half way through. I made progress. :heart: :bigsmile:

3. Have fun every day: I’ve managed this almost every day. I can’t remember a day that didn’t have some enjoyment in it. This is a good goal, and I’m happy that I added it to my list. It is a keeper! :bigsmile:

4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! I’ve been doing better with water drinking. :bigsmile:

My new goals look an awful lot like my previous goals. No surprises here! I'm a firm believer of repeating successful strategies.

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

30881843.png
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My cousin, her daughter and granddaughter joined us for Halloween. We had a nice dinner and then took the girls trick or treating. I’d made arrangements with several neighbors earlier for us to stop by. The little girls were charmed by our generous neighbors and enjoyed every stop along the way. It was mutual. Our neighbors enjoyed it, too. Both girls are three years old. I haven’t seen my cousin for a couple of years and she’s recently moved from Southern CA back to our area. I hope to have a good friendship with her. :heart:

That is the good news. The bad news is that I’ve been eating Halloween candy and will probably get a well deserved stomach ache. :noway:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon where we had a dry evening for trick or treat.

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    hmmm...... looks like I posted in the October thread. Might be a sign that I should be in bed.
    -Sharon in Alberta
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi Just getting this bookmarked so I can find you guys again later