Awkard TMI Question - Can't expel gas

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I hate discussing such a delicate subject on a community message board, but for the last 2 weeks on my diet, I am super bloated and desperately feel the need to burp or pass gas, but I can't. I have tried everything from ginger/mint tea, silicone supplements, activated charcoal supplements, on elbows and knees positions....but no joy.

It particular, this gas buildup effects my upper abdomen and the pressure causes back and shoulder pain and dizziness. Sometimes even nausea. Because I have heart problems, I have seen my doctor to eliminate that. He said heart is fine and all he does is keep giving me silicone and charcoal, despite not working.

I hardly eat any processed food at all. 90% of my meals are cooked by myself. I limit my carbs as you can see from my diary. The sodium amounts in my diary are suspect as most were taken from the MFP data base. I have lost about 42 pounds and like the way I am beginning to look, but if I can't get this gas out, I am going to explode.

So, what do my fellow MFP gurus advise. To put it bluntly, I need to fart badly but can't.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You sure it's gas, or is your stomach bloating? Could be a gallbladder issue or a diet allergy.
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    You sure it's gas, or is your stomach bloating? Could be a gallbladder issue or a diet allergy.

Can't be my gall bladder. That was taken out years ago. I can't imagine a diet allergy, but I will have to review my diary to see if there is something that might be a potential culprit. I am sure it is gas, because on the rare occasion when I can produce a burp or pass wind, relief is almost immediate.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

Can't be my gall bladder. That was taken out years ago. I can't imagine a diet allergy, but I will have to review my diary to see if there is something that might be a potential culprit. I am sure it is gas, because on the rare occasion when I can produce a burp or pass wind, relief is almost immediate.

Hmmm, well I'm stumped. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :\
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If the gas is in your stomach, you could try simethicone (GasX), which I think works better than charcoal. You could also have too much stomach acid and could try an antacid. Since you don't have a gallblader, you should check with your doctor before you start taking any drugs. The urge to pass gas is a separate issue caused by gas build up mostly in the large intestine. Unfortunately, there are non drugs that reduce intestinal gas (largely because fermentation of food is necessary for digestion). If you are limiting carbs, you are probably short on fiber, which helps tremendously, especially if you are constipated as well.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar issue and read that fiber supplements can cause this. I stopped mine and found sweet relief. :laugh: If you don't take those, I'm not sure what to suggest because like you, I tried everything!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Another home remedy option: baking soda
    http://homeremediesforlife.com/baking-soda-for-gas/

By any chance do you use a cpap machine for sleep? That can cause gas if it is set wrong.
    If you are on any medications, take the list to the pharmacist and ask for help with this symptom.

Yoga has a pose called "the wind relieving pose"/ pawanmuktasana and some others that work sometimes like "downward dog."

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Try a stomach massage - circular firm motions anti-clockwise

works for babies :grinning:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Try eliminating some of the sugar and adding beans, lentils, bran cereals etc.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good suggestions in the articles below. Beano, probiotics, herbal teas, relaxation techniques? If these home remedies don't help, see a doctor.

everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/treatment-for-excessive-gas.aspx

everydayhealth.com/health-report/gas-and-bloating/home-remedies-for-gas.aspx
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    How about reflexology. I used to suffer terribly and now have been taught how to relieve the gas / bloat by massaging a certain area on the base of my feet. It even works on other people (even my OH who thought it was a joke)...
  • charles91108
    charles91108 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Can you poop? If you can not then you could have a bowel obstruction and need to go the hospital to work it up.
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Probiotic yoghurts maybe??
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Baking soda and water usually does the trick for me.
  • golfgirl15
    golfgirl15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    drink LOTS of water. Believe it or not it does help.
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I was having a similar issue and read that fiber supplements can cause this. I stopped mine and found sweet relief. :laugh: If you don't take those, I'm not sure what to suggest because like you, I tried everything!

I was going to say this same thing.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you are not pooping either you should be worked up for a bowel obstruction. Also FYI you can still get gallstones that can obstruct the ducts without a gall bladder.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Be careful about adding too much fiber too quickly to your diet, add it slowly. Adding a bunch all of a sudden can def cause some gas issues.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you had a blood antibody test done to see if you have a bacteria in your tummy that's aggravating it? There's one that can cause ulcers, I'm not a Dr., but our work has incentives for us if we get a blood test annually and that's the first one on our results page. On a more positive note, I'd google some stretches to promote digestion and gas relief. Roda above mentioned one. The one stretch that seems to come up the most is simply lying on the floor and holding your right knee to your chest. Other then that I know if I have heart burn or acid reflux it makes burping a challenge.
  • Boogs54
    Boogs54 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kattarra wrote: »
    Also FYI you can still get gallstones that can obstruct the ducts without a gall bladder.

I know this one first hand. I also still suffer occasionally from sludge in my bile duct. While as painful as a stone, it passes much quicker than the stones used to.

• stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Kattarra wrote: »
    If you are not pooping either you should be worked up for a bowel obstruction. Also FYI you can still get gallstones that can obstruct the ducts without a gall bladder.
    Not to hijack but I'm starting to wonder about this myself. I have had issues with constipation for a while now (off and on for at least 2 months). I started taking colace daily 1 in the morning and 2 at night, taking bisacodyl (which has stimulant) every other day and I've had miralax the last 3 days...still nothing. I'm not sure at what point to see a doctor. I know if it continues I need to see a doctor but I just wish I'd go back to normal. I don't understand what's causing it. I feel for the OP too. When I was pregnant with my son I had horrible abdominal pain (worse than labor) and I ended up hospitalized with basically a diagnosis of "you need to fart" LOL