The truth about sugar addiction from a former sugar addict

Options
girlviernes
girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
For most of my life I ate a high carb, low fat, low protein diet. I didn't like meat or fatty foods as a kid. We were a skim milk and margarine household. In high school I became a vegetarian, which made my diet even more disproportionate. I snuck food ever since I was a kid, and I was always a big candy eater. I was pretty active though and my weight was fairly steady.

In my senior year of high school, I stopped playing sports. Around the same time, I started to really overdo it on snacks and desserts. For example, my mom would buy boxes of Twix from Costco and I would eat bar after bar after bar. I put on 30 lbs that year.

For the next 18 years I struggled with sugar and refined grains. On my worst days I could go through a couple of big bags of candy, a box of cookies, and 2-3 boxes of mac & cheese. Feeling stuffed but hungry the whole time.

About 3 years ago I decided that this was an addiction, and I needed to go completely unprocessed. For about 4-6 months I was extremely committed and ate a near ideal diet. I wasn't counting calories, but I still lost about 45 lbs. It was pretty amazing, and very quickly my sugar cravings went away. However, on those occasions that I did have "processed" foods or even "healthy" versions of sugary foods, I would feel a sense of panic and compulsion to eat more.

Gradually, these happened more often. Over the next 2 years I put all of the weight back on.

Fast forward to this year. I had a major health scare and finally took accountability to do something about my eating and health. This time was different. I logged onto MFP. I committed to log everything and hit my calorie goals. I logged a binge on my second day. Logging that was extremely hard, but afterwards I knew there was no going back. I didn't cut out any foods. I eat 3 meals a day. Usually about 2 snacks. I keep my portions of starchy foods to about half a cup per meal, and then have increased my protein and fat intake. I did moderate my sugary/refined grains intake and generally have those types of foods only a few times a week. However, some weeks I have them more often. Over the holidays I had them every day and I could feel an increased drive for sugary/snack foods, but all I needed to do was make sure it fit in my goals, log, and then when those two weeks were over I went back to my more regular way of eating.

I was a sugar "addict" for 20+ years. With a reasonable, moderate diet and daily exercise my sugar cravings are non-existent. As in, there were cinnamon rolls at work all last week and I had barely any interest at all. Cinnamon rolls!!

I can't just eat "anything" at any time without consequence, but with a good pattern of eating and a commitment to my long-term progress, I've firmly kicked my "addiction."

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Marvelous, keep it up :)

Your great and be proud!
  • jmiles04
    Options
    I have the same problem. Sugar = more sugar. Its great to hear someone that has gotten control of the sugar. Very inspiring! Good job!! <3
  • girlviernes
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks!

To be clear, I'm trying to walk the middle path. I think some of us need to be careful about sugar/starchy foods, but I don't really buy into the idea that we should cut them (or any food) out. That is often just a set up for difficulty maintaining this pattern of eating long term and makes it hard to partake in some really cool things like mochi ice cream and holiday parties :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    girlvierness thank you for your story that sounds too similar some of us.
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm like everyone else, it sounds so much like me! But for me it's worse, I'm a diabetic! I'm also a emotional eater! If I can stay loyal to my plan, I'm ok.s
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! You've done a awesome job! I hope everyone has a blessed day! lyl!
  • louburnett
    Options
    That's wonderful! Thank you for your bravery in sharing your story. So many of us have the same struggles!
  • emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sounds very similar to me except I haven't figured it out yet. I think cutting out all sugar is a bit extreme but its really hard to find that middle balance....
  • kelly30mad
    Options
    I also am like u.. I use to snak on sugar snacks all day!!! I wld rather snack than eat a meal.. I've currently gone cold turkey and stopped them all together.. I've had really bad headaches and the shakes... Jus shows tha it is addictive and the more u eat the more u need more
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I wanted to post to let folks know that moderation is possible and a genuine option for you. Also, that it is possible to get to a place where you no longer feel controlled by food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

To be clear, I'm trying to walk the middle path. I think some of us need to be careful about sugar/starchy foods, but I don't really buy into the idea that we should cut them (or any food) out. That is often just a set up for difficulty maintaining this pattern of eating long term and makes it hard to partake in some really cool things like mochi ice cream and holiday parties :)

Totally agree with this.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Congratulations

You seem eminently sensible
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Same here. Same here. I gave up sugar and starchy carbs for a while, and during that time I realized that while I was growing up, we didn't have sweets as often as I had come to be eating them. I already knew what I should be doing but had moved away from it.

I still moderate my intake of carbs because I feel best eating lots of protein, but if I want something sweet, I'll eat it and fit it into my plan.

I never was "addicted", I just made bad choices. It's liberating to have a tool like MFP at my disposal and to finally feel in charge of what I'm eating.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    kelly30mad wrote: »
    I also am like u.. I use to snak on sugar snacks all day!!! I wld rather snack than eat a meal.. I've currently gone cold turkey and stopped them all together.. I've had really bad headaches and the shakes... Jus shows tha it is addictive and the more u eat the more u need more

I think you missed her point. It's not addictive. It's all about behavior and choice. You can get control.

Sometimes, it is helpful to give it all up for a time and get some distance to be able to see that.

It's more a compulsion which is about BEHAVIOR, than about addiction, which is about the SUBSTANCE.

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I think you missed her point. It's not addictive. It's all about behavior and choice. You can get control.

Sometimes, it is helpful to give it all up for a time and get some distance to be able to see that.

It's more a compulsion which is about BEHAVIOR, than about addiction, which is about the SUBSTANCE.
    Sugar has proven to light up the same areas of the brain that cocaine does. Studies were done with PET scans of the brain.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Sugar has proven to light up the same areas of the brain that cocaine does. Studies were done with PET scans of the brain.

Pain triggers dopamine release too. Is pain addictive?

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    sugar is a dead end anyway, my cardiologist told me to cut off most sugar as it even damages arteries and now they think it plays a role in heart disease. It ages the skin makes us look older. There is no benefit in refined sugars other than it tastes good., and feeds our emotional needs. Sugar has no nutritional value at all. No vitamins, no minerals nothing.
  • fixmyself
    Options
    Totally understand! A few years ago I would have eating competitions with myself. MYSELF. And I would go through gummy bears like it's no one's business. I honestly don't even buy them anymore! When I do, I eat a serving and give the rest to my brother and sister
  • happyhenglers
    happyhenglers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Suggested read: Salt, Sugar, Fat. Great book to highlight the fact that sugar has been proven to be as addictive as drugs. Some people can do moderation, and some people need stiffer boundaries. The key is to find what works for you.