The truth about sugar addiction from a former sugar addict

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Pain triggers dopamine release too. Is pain addictive?

Have you ever met a masochist? The answer is "yes" pain can be addictive ;)

That's not an addiction. That's someone liking something. A lot. Colloquial use of a term doesn't change the clinical definition of it.

• janmarie7
    janmarie7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    girlviernes: " I didn't cut out any foods. I eat 3 meals a day. Usually about 2 snacks." What snacks do you have? My meals are super-healthy. Low fat, lots of veg, lean meat, fish but then I'll eat a whole bag of chocolate raisins. :-( I just don't fancy carrot or cucumber sticks - they're not a treat! :-(
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    kelly30mad wrote: »
    I also am like u.. I use to snak on sugar snacks all day!!! I wld rather snack than eat a meal.. I've currently gone cold turkey and stopped them all together.. I've had really bad headaches and the shakes... Jus shows tha it is addictive and the more u eat the more u need more

I think you missed her point. It's not addictive. It's all about behavior and choice. You can get control.

Sometimes, it is helpful to give it all up for a time and get some distance to be able to see that.

It's more a compulsion which is about BEHAVIOR, than about addiction, which is about the SUBSTANCE.
    Sugar has proven to light up the same areas of the brain that cocaine does. Studies were done with PET scans of the brain.

Alter Bridge seem to think so!!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    03julie wrote: »
    I agree sugar is no good but i find it hard to live without so i keep it to evenings only

Do you mean sweet things, such as cake, cookies, deserts? It would be hard to keep any sugar to just evenings because just about everything has sugar in it.

Sugar is not good or bad.

Nailed it!!!
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing; I feel the same way. Sugar is just as bad as alcohol or nicotine... :(
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    janmarie7 wrote: »
    girlviernes: " I didn't cut out any foods. I eat 3 meals a day. Usually about 2 snacks." What snacks do you have? My meals are super-healthy. Low fat, lots of veg, lean meat, fish but then I'll eat a whole bag of chocolate raisins. :-( I just don't fancy carrot or cucumber sticks - they're not a treat! :-(

While I do eat some healthy snacks (fruit, yogurt, smoked salmon, nuts, protein bars), I have the same issue--I naturally want balanced healthy meals but snacking is a different story. What worked for me was rather than cutting out any foods I just arranged my diet so snacking is rare and only for a purpose (or a special occasion). If for a purpose (like post workout or an usually long time before meals) the snack is pre planned, and so there's never any reason to eat the bagels someone brought into work just because they are there.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]
    Oddly enough, "pain" is addictive. Think of people who cut themselves. Or the pain of running a Marathon. I have seen people in agony, and they keep going. People who get extensive tattoos...they like that "rush".

Personally, I prefer a Snickers bar.

I have stopped eating bread and pasta. I am a "carboholic". I can't have bread in my house, and stop at two slices a day. It is easier to just eliminate it from my diet altogether.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

[/quote]
    Oddly enough, "pain" is addictive. Think of people who cut themselves. Or the pain of running a Marathon. I have seen people in agony, and they keep going. People who get extensive tattoos...they like that "rush".

Personally, I prefer a Snickers bar.

I have stopped eating bread and pasta. I am a "carboholic". I can't have bread in my house, and stop at two slices a day. It is easier to just eliminate it from my diet altogether.
    [/quote]

That "rush" doesn't mean it's addictive, it means it's pleasurable. There's a difference. That pain which you're citing, it should be noted, is also contextual. Have any of those exemplars break a bone or get in a car accident and ask them if they're feeling a rush. And we're back to making a circular argument really, because that's what the whole dopamine thing comes down to--pleasure. It's PART of the addiction puzzle, but it's by no means the whole puzzle.

A whole lot of things in life are pleasurable. Not all of them are addictive.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    sugar is a dead end anyway, my cardiologist told me to cut off most sugar as it even damages arteries and now they think it plays a role in heart disease. It ages the skin makes us look older. There is no benefit in refined sugars other than it tastes good., and feeds our emotional needs. Sugar has no nutritional value at all. No vitamins, no minerals nothing.

False!!!

I had heart disease and now reverse it eating sugary things!! Explain that!!!!

If your Dr. is recommending that you eat sugar to reverse heart disease, I would suggest you get another Dr.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862465/
    "Recently, in the Nurses Health Study, a positive association between SSB (sugar sweetened beverages) intake and risk of CHD (nonfatal myocardial infarction or fatal CHD) was observed even after accounting for other unhealthy factors53. In over 88,000 women followed for 24 years, those who consumed ≥ 2 SSB per day had a 35% greater risk of developing CHD compared to those who consumed <1 SSB per month"

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/94/2/479.short
    "The present data show potentially harmful effects of low to moderate consumption of SSBs on markers of cardiovascular risk such as LDL particles, fasting glucose, and hs-CRP within just 3 wk in healthy young men"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10946914?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn
    Glucose increasing oxidative load.

The American Heart association states you should get no more than 100 calories for added sugars a day for a woman, and 150 added sugars a day for a man.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Added-Sugars-Add-to-Your-Risk-of-Dying-from-Heart-Disease_UCM_460319_Article.jsp

LOL, good thing none of the studies you've posted rely on super accurate food recall data, oh wait

20130124-114258.jpg?w=645

Post-Hoc.jpg

6352537484_892f791f9e_z-636x310.jpg

The test of glucose on oxidative load was done under laboratory conditions. Sugar absolutely does challenge the body in unhealthy ways. Recompers and those who are very active do need more carbs than others, and being active itself protects against many of the impacts of higher sugar consumption, but sugar is not a treatment for heart disease.

If you wish to ignore the recommendations of health authorities that is your priviledge. I'm just saying, when it comes to sugar and health, when there's that much smoke, there's gotta be a fire somewhere.

Actually, from a scientific method point of view, no it doesn't.
    Context and dosage. I wish I could find RCT where when replacing protein and fat in a diet with highly refined carbohydrates and refined sugar health markers are not effected negatively. If you are aware of any I would be interested, seriously. I would suspect if there was support for increased refined sugars in our diet, that focus groups would be all over it. Personally I can't find that kind of support, but you never know.

OP glad you found some balance in your diet, many never do.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

Janmarie - my diary is open, so feel free to take a look at it. My main snacks are coconut flakes (high fat), nuts (also high fat), fruit, beef jerky, protein bars, cheese sticks, and yogurt. I also like carrots and hummus, roasted seaweed, and goat cheese (usually with some fruit).

As you can see, I don't have sugary/starchy foods in my snacks (although the yogurt has a fair bit of sugar). Usually I will have those foods in meals or if I'm at a party, so they aren't part of my typical snacking.

You may want to experiment with increasing the fat in your diet. There are lots of healthy sources of fat that have actually been shown to improve cholesterol, plus they help with a sense of fullness.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jazzy550 wrote: »
    Wow! That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing; I feel the same way. Sugar is just as bad as alcohol or nicotine... :(

Really? Explain, please because they are not even related.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    This was really helpful and inspiring. Thank you. This is instinctively what I feel, trying to walk that middle ground, don't want to cut out all together but just trying to 'budget' and spend my cals wisely 80percent, with 20percent just for taste/what I fancy. Thank you, and good luck with maintaining your new found healthy middle ground xx

Thanks! 80/20 is a great way to think about it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great thread OP. I like how you're approaching it, and that you acknowledge that what you're doing may not work for everyone. Great work!
  • girlviernes
    Options
    owsmith wrote: »
    Yes! I can totally relate to this. I have always had a "sweet tooth" and felt out of control when it came to ice cream, chocolate and other sweets. It took a diagnosis of gestational diabetes for me to start learning about my triggers and how to maintain a healthy diet. Now that my blood sugar is under better control, I don't crave sugar nearly as much. Some of it could be mental, but I really believe that my high blood sugar (then the crash that followed) had a lot to do with my "need" to binge.
    Congrats on your progress and good luck!

I agree, I think that there is something more than just the mental aspect. It may be just in those of us who have a condition that means our body doesn't regulate blood sugar effectively, but I think getting educated on how the balance in diet affects you can make everything work so much better.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Saw thread title, was like:

facepalm-bear-2.png

Read post, was like:

10797838.gif
  • MotelHoney
    MotelHoney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I eat a lot of fruit, it's like 60% of what I eat everyday (I love the stuff). Does the sugar in it feed into a sugar addiction like a candy bar would?
  • girlviernes
    Options
    jazzy550 wrote: »

Hi jazzy, I'm glad you liked my story. My point in sharing it was that although I had THOUGHT of myself as a sugar addict (and lived in a way that would support that hypothesis for about 20 years), the truth was that moderation and accountability were my path out, not abstinence. I hope by sharing this that others who feel out of control over sugar or whatever type of food can realize that they actually can learn to control themselves with that food. It will take dedication, logging, and sorting out what dietary balance works for you, but it is doable and feels amazing once you are there.

As I type this, I have little baggies of chocolate and cookies sitting in my room. I've had them now for about 4 weeks. In the past, they would be all I could think about. Now I see them and think, "I guess I could have some, but I don't want to right now, and I was hoping to give to someone as a present, so moving on."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    sugar is a dead end anyway, my cardiologist told me to cut off most sugar as it even damages arteries and now they think it plays a role in heart disease. It ages the skin makes us look older. There is no benefit in refined sugars other than it tastes good., and feeds our emotional needs. Sugar has no nutritional value at all. No vitamins, no minerals nothing.
    Extreme view and why lots of people fail at "no sugar" diets. Sugar is a carb and is a macro nutrient. Ask a neurosurgeon what your brain feeds on (besides oxygen). Sugar is much more easily converted to glycogen in the body which is what is used for energy for physical activity.
    It's much more than just what you're hearing from sources who aren't telling you the whole truth. Just what they want you to hear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Janmarie - my diary is open, so feel free to take a look at it. My main snacks are coconut flakes (high fat), nuts (also high fat), fruit, beef jerky, protein bars, cheese sticks, and yogurt. I also like carrots and hummus, roasted seaweed, and goat cheese (usually with some fruit).

As you can see, I don't have sugary/starchy foods in my snacks (although the yogurt has a fair bit of sugar). Usually I will have those foods in meals or if I'm at a party, so they aren't part of my typical snacking.

You may want to experiment with increasing the fat in your diet. There are lots of healthy sources of fat that have actually been shown to improve cholesterol, plus they help with a sense of fullness.
    That's a pretty healthy diary you have! Your carb numbers are roughly where mine are.
    Not high, not low, and pretty "slow".
  • girlviernes
    Options

Well I'll share that my cousin sent me a couple of loaves of homemade pumpkin and carrot cake. After a mini freakout about what to do, I decided to give moderation a go. For a couple of weeks I would cut off a small but satisfying portion and then add goat cheese to balance things out. I ended up eating about 1.5 loaves and then threw the rest away as I had forgotten about it.