Smoothies-Good or Bad?

Options
I have been making smoothies for breakfast but I notice they are high in calories and sugar. The sugar is all from fruits, sometimes almond/coconut milk and sometimes honey but they seem like they are more in calories than anything else. For example, today it was spinach, 1/2 banana, a half cup mango, 3 pineapple slices and ice. I did estimate high on the amounts as my fiancé made it for me, but I put it in my recipes and it shows 439 calories, 124 carbs and 77 sugar. Another one I make has PB2, banana, chocolate protein powder and almond milk has 435 calories, 63 carbs and 31 sugar. Are smoothies mistakenly labeled as "good for you" with that high of a calorie count? Am I just making super large ones that should be 2 servings? I decided to track them to see the calories and I was shocked. I understand that getting fruits/veggies is beneficial, and I like to be able to have a large smoothie I can drink throughout the morning but the calories and sugar amounts (albeit natural sugars) are really bothering me.
Thoughts???

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There aren't really any foods that are inherently good or bad for you (except maybe trans fats). There are foods that fit into your nutrition goals and foods that don't, though. That smoothie might be great for a 6-foot active guy and terrible for a 5-foot sedentary woman.

If it fits into your nutrition goals, keeps you full, and you like it, then great! Keep going.

If it doesn't, then decide what you want to change.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Could be good, could be bad.

Depends on your goals and if they put you over your calories for the day.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The problem is the smoothies are over 1/3 of my intake, which is not all that bad if I am only eating 3 meals a day. I tend to graze during the day, snacking on carrots, cucumbers, grapes, etc. so I eat at least 6 times a day.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic or have been advised by a doctor to limit sugar there's nothing to worry about it. You could find some lower calorie recipes if you're trying to cut calories but get all the smoothie yumminess. Regardless, if it fits into your calorie and macro goals it's fine.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your calorie goal for the day I don't see a problem with it in general.

For me, there's no way. That's far too much carbs and sugar and probably not enough protein. When I make a smoothie, which isn't that often, I use Greek yogurt, some protein powder and not nearly as much fruit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The problem is the smoothies are over 1/3 of my intake, which is not all that bad if I am only eating 3 meals a day. I tend to graze during the day, snacking on carrots, cucumbers, grapes, etc. so I eat at least 6 times a day.

It's really going to come down to personal preference. 450 calories for me at breakfast wouldn't be a big deal. But it sounds like it's a big deal for you, so you'll have to decide if you want to keep the smoothie and cut back throughout the day, adjust the smoothie so it's lower calorie, or replace the smoothie with something else. You should do whatever is best for you. There's no right or wrong answer here.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "good" or "bad" are relative to your goals and cannot be discussed in a vacuum. Context and dosage is a huge part of the equation.

Personally, I do smoothies for recovery for my longer rides and that's about it. I need the quick fix to get me up and keep me up after a long ride.

Also, don't confuse caloric density with nutritional quality...there are numerous healthful foods that are jam packed with nutrition...and also calories. A calorie is just a unit of energy and has no inherent property such as "good" or "bad" and a calorie has nothing to do with whether something is healthful or not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    As long as it fits into your calorie goal for the day I don't see a problem with it in general.

For me, there's no way. That's far too much carbs and sugar and probably not enough protein. When I make a smoothie, which isn't that often, I use Greek yogurt, some protein powder and not nearly as much fruit.

This. I think smoothies work great for some, but I don't like my breakfasts to be that carb or fruit heavy. I prefer having a little fruit as a small part of a larger meal or perhaps as a snack in the afternoon. But that's me.

That said, if you are estimating, try actually calculating it out. Unless you left out ingredients what you listed doesn't seem like it would add up to the calorie counts.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's a good question. I think you are getting good nutrition for your calorie count, but like a poster above, I make mine with protein powder and yogurt, plus I add a ton of stuff like hemp, chia, flax, and vegetable powders too.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    www.leanitup.com has an article with 30 protein shake recipes all under 300 cal.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Find an unflavored(no sugar added) protein powder. It can save as much as 100 calories per smoothie.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I hear what you're saying. It adds up quick. I'll do fat free greek yogury, blueberries, strawberries, and a small banana and BAM I've just made myself a 350 calorie shake. I don't like to eat a ton of calories in the morning so I've kind of scaled back on the smoothies. It's not good or bad, just whether or not it fits into your plan.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Here's a breakfast smoothie I have frequently:

Bananas - Raw, 0.5 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) 53
    Earthbound Farms - Organic Baby Spinach Leaves, 127.5 g (2 cups) 30
    Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Almond Milk 30 Cals 1cup - Almond Milk, 8 fl. oz. 30
    Muscle Milk - Vanilla Creme Powder (Lactose Free), 1 scoops 155
    Total: 268
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're making smoothies as a meal replacement, 400-450 calories seems normal as you aren't going to sustain yourself on 100-200 calories. However, I make smoothies as a snack and have no problem staying within the latter range.

One of my favourites has 140g frozen mango (90 cal), 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (25 cal), a little water and a dash of vanilla extract for an easy total of 180 cal, and it makes a thick and creamy smoothie that fills my single serve blender.
  • mbender719
    mbender719 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't say if they are good or bad, but I also am not keen on spending 1/3 of my daily allowance on a smoothie...
    When I get a smoothie craving, I usually go for one of these 3-ingredient smoothies. I especially like the protein ones after an intense boxing workout :)
    My go-to (almond milk + PB2 + 1/2 frozen banana + 2 tbsp hemp protein powder) is only 195 Calories. I bet it would be awesome with chocolate protein powder instead of hemp protein!

i1.wp.com/pulptastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/enhanced-31189-1420835094-95.jpg?resize=625,4790
  • Bummdeal
    Bummdeal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've recently started making these for breakfast. I used to have a cereal bar followed by a yogurt an hour or so later. The smoothie has more calories, mine are usually 300 - 350, but I feel better with the smoothie. I think they have even helped some digestive problems I was having. I use a handful of Kale or spinach, small banana, about a cup of some other fruit, 1/2 cup of sugar free almond milk, flax or chia seeds and some ice. Sometimes I add cocoa powder or vanilla. I've just been playing around with different combinations. I think I may try some protein powder as suggested in other posts.
  • kmayers143
    kmayers143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    They're not "bad" for you, no. But if you are trying to watch your calorie/sugar intake then try to make the majority of the smoothie Veggies. I drink a smoothie everyday and it only comes out to about 160 calories. And does not have a bad taste at all to it!
    It's 1/2 cup Spinach
    1/3 cup broccoli
    1/4 cup cucumber and yellow squash
    1/2 cup romain lettuce
    1/4 cup strawberries
    1/4 cup pineapple
    1/4 cup cilantro
    Half of a kiwi
    a cup of Almond milk
    and some ice, and you're good to go!

It has a refreshing taste to it, and very filling. I like to switch things up a bit but this is the one that I have liked the most. Try it out and let me know how you like it! :)
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Agree with another poster about making it more about vegetables. Banana and pineapple are both quite sweet. Berries overall are lower on sugar than pineapple for instance.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Really just depends. They can be loaded with sugar and if you get them out then it could have ice cream or frozen yogurt. I like to make them myself so I have complete control. I use frozen fruit and prepare it the night before by adding all my fruit and keeping it in the freezer, then I just make it when I am ready!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I typically make a smoothie after the gym -- or if I'm out of eggs like I am right now. I use home made yogurt, raw milk, frozen blueberries, protein powder and sometimes peanut or almond butter. I'm honestly not too concerned about the sugar because it's from the fruit and the milk. Calories can range from 230-400 depending on what I put in it.