GERD

Options
Today I am back to fitness Pal - I took the holidays off and was sick in Jan. However I now have a new challenge. My GERD is back with a vengeance. I am on day 4 of a bland diet. I have 10 more days. I still am coughing up stomach acid at times and am finding apple juice works great, as chewing gum and a banana now and then.

Need some support from other GERD dieters - for recipes and support. Friend me.

Replies

• scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just try to stay away from triggers. Sometimes I can eat certain things and sometimes I just can't. It was really bad before I started eating much a healthier diet. I have chronic gastritis with IBS.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've also found that a shot or two of Apple cider vinegar works wonders.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am not too severe, but I bought a bed that I can raise the head and foot. Keeping the head up helps with the GERD and keeping the feet up helps blood drain from my legs hopefully reducing the chances of a recurrence of a prior deep vein thrombosis. My daughter in law says I now sleep like a taco.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    snavemom wrote: »
    Today I am back to fitness Pal - I took the holidays off and was sick in Jan. However I now have a new challenge. My GERD is back with a vengeance. I am on day 4 of a bland diet. I have 10 more days. I still am coughing up stomach acid at times and am finding apple juice works great, as chewing gum and a banana now and then.

I have GERD as well, and flareups are miserable! At first, I took medication (Prilosec), but I am so against taking pills that I decided to try controlling flareups through diet. What really helps is cutting back on acid foods, such as citrus, tomato sauce (though tomatoes don't bother me), and caffeine gives me horrible heartburn.

I have no special recipes, but I love my oatmeal with fruit in the mornings! :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Protonix has been life changing. I can eat as I please now
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am newly diagnosed with GORD (aka GERD but in uk) have you any diet advise please as I read conflicting things as to what is ok and what is not
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Quit the juice (all juice) and gum for starters. Notorious for producing acid esp. juice.

I will join your GERD support. It stinks on ice.

What meds are you taking right now?

• jackie26us
    jackie26us Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have GERD. It use to be pretty severe they were afraid it was going to eventually go into cancer. Since I changed my eating habits I don't really have a problem anymore. I find no eating right before bed is key. I eat pretty clean--very limited junk food and processed foods. I still eat spicy food and foods with acid etc.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have it and I take prilosec. I needed to get it under control ASAP because it was causing small bleeds that put me in the hospital with severe anemia. I hope to eventually get off the medication but keeping my hemoglobin up is more important.

For anyone who takes an acid blocker like prilosec or nexium: do not take it within 2 hours of taking any other vitamins or medications. It slows down or even stops the absorption of the other pills.
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi all for your comments. I'm doing much better but am very cautious. I was taking OTC prilosec afor the 14 days. I missed a few days but kept my diet bland. I even survived last weekend, going to Reno and eating at the buffets. I do appreciate all your comments. Thanks.
  • snavemom
    Options
    OTC prilosec

Quit the juice (all juice) and gum for starters. Notorious for producing acid esp. juice.

I will join your GERD support. It stinks on ice.

What meds are you taking right now?

• snavemom
    Options
    Thanks for that advise. I didn't know that. Hope all is better now for you.

earlnabby wrote: »
    I have it and I take prilosec. I needed to get it under control ASAP because it was causing small bleeds that put me in the hospital with severe anemia. I hope to eventually get off the medication but keeping my hemoglobin up is more important.

For anyone who takes an acid blocker like prilosec or nexium: do not take it within 2 hours of taking any other vitamins or medications. It slows down or even stops the absorption of the other pills.

• snavemom
    Options
    I bought some and tried it. YUCK. I have always heard apple cider vinegar was good for that. Just have to get used to it.

scaryg53 wrote: »
    I've also found that a shot or two of Apple cider vinegar works wonders.

• snavemom
    Options

Can't afford to get a new bed. We're overdue...maybe next year!
    diegops1 wrote: »
    I am not too severe, but I bought a bed that I can raise the head and foot. Keeping the head up helps with the GERD and keeping the feet up helps blood drain from my legs hopefully reducing the chances of a recurrence of a prior deep vein thrombosis. My daughter in law says I now sleep like a taco.

• snavemom
    Options
    I have not heard of that. Do you have to take it all the time?
    Jennloella wrote: »
    Protonix has been life changing. I can eat as I please now

• snavemom
    Options
    I did eat some mexican last weekend and did alright. and Yes, eating before bedtime is a no no.

jackie26us wrote: »
    I have GERD. It use to be pretty severe they were afraid it was going to eventually go into cancer. Since I changed my eating habits I don't really have a problem anymore. I find no eating right before bed is key. I eat pretty clean--very limited junk food and processed foods. I still eat spicy food and foods with acid etc.

• snavemom
    Options

I don't like taking medication if I can help it. At least it got me through those terrible days...nothing was helping.

SLLRunner wrote: »
    [quote

I have GERD as well, and flareups are miserable! At first, I took medication (Prilosec), but I am so against taking pills that I decided to try controlling flareups through diet. What really helps is cutting back on acid foods, such as citrus, tomato sauce (though tomatoes don't bother me), and caffeine gives me horrible heartburn.

I have no special recipes, but I love my oatmeal with fruit in the mornings! :)

• kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    By GERD started acting up bad after returning to MFP in September. I tried pretty much all of the usual proton-pump inhibitors and out of the common ones, omperazole worked best for me personally, but I also believe different ones work better for different people, so try a few out (under doctor's supervision, of course). I got switched to Dexilant after my EGD; my irritation in my esophagus was much milder than they expected and after further tests, it's been revealed I have a sluggish gallbladder which is probably the real cause of all this GERD trouble. (Sluggish gallbladder is usually due to hormones and weight loss, which are risk factors I, as a 26 year old female who diets, have.)
  • Xyphose
    Xyphose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had GERD for like 12 years and I swear its related to anxiety and panic attacks. The feeling you get when something isn't agreeing with you, somewhat euphoric and the sensation of breathlessness. Sometimes at night I would wake up, set up in bed, my heart would start pounding, and it would be difficult to breath, full on panic attack. I ended up having my gallbladder removed, which helped quite a bit but the ultimate remedy for me was eliminating caffeine. I would have never guess two cups of caffeinated coffee per day would have been so detrimental to the quality of my life. I quit caffeine and I feel almost back to normal. Oh, also Peppermint like Altoids which were actually originally marketed as a stomach aid. These help me as well. -- For what its worth...
  • snavemom
    Options
    Someone else from India told me about GORD - same thing. Never heard of it but looked it up. Yes there is conflicting advice - that's why I am taking it slow, trying to find out what those triggers are.

jonnyman41 wrote: »
    Hi, I am newly diagnosed with GORD (aka GERD but in uk) have you any diet advise please as I read conflicting things as to what is ok and what is not