GERD

Options
2»

Replies

• snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I was taking omperazole and it worked great.

By GERD started acting up bad after returning to MFP in September. I tried pretty much all of the usual proton-pump inhibitors and out of the common ones, omperazole worked best for me personally, but I also believe different ones work better for different people, so try a few out (under doctor's supervision, of course). I got switched to Dexilant after my EGD; my irritation in my esophagus was much milder than they expected and after further tests, it's been revealed I have a sluggish gallbladder which is probably the real cause of all this GERD trouble. (Sluggish gallbladder is usually due to hormones and weight loss, which are risk factors I, as a 26 year old female who diets, have.)

• snavemom
    Options

A couple of years ago, I went to the doctor due to the chest discomfort, thinking I was having a heart attack. It was at that time, I was diagnosed with the GERD. I'm still having a cup to 2 cups of coffee a day. That's my ultimate limit.
    Xyphose wrote: »
    I've had GERD for like 12 years and I swear its related to anxiety and panic attacks. The feeling you get when something isn't agreeing with you, somewhat euphoric and the sensation of breathlessness. Sometimes at night I would wake up, set up in bed, my heart would start pounding, and it would be difficult to breath, full on panic attack. I ended up having my gallbladder removed, which helped quite a bit but the ultimate remedy for me was eliminating caffeine. I would have never guess two cups of caffeinated coffee per day would have been so detrimental to the quality of my life. I quit caffeine and I feel almost back to normal. Oh, also Peppermint like Altoids which were actually originally marketed as a stomach aid. These help me as well. -- For what its worth...

• kiwi790
    Options
    Hi I also have GERD and am in the medical field so I can see this from both sides. I've basically been on all the GERD meds from ppis to H2 blockers, but have found Ranitidine to be my drug of choice. I especially have problems at night so I take a ranitidine before bed. Also make sure to not eat for 2-2 & 1/2 hours before laying down. Putting more pillows under your bed can also be helpful. I had to cut out all triggers for 3 months a few years ago, it was rough but now my GERD is much more under control. I cut out coffee/tea, all alcohol, chocolate, tomatoes, vinegar, and fried foods. It made a huge difference. Just don't get too down, your GERD will get better! This is hopefully just a temporary flair up!
  • snavemom
    Options

Thanks for your comment. So far so good but I am treading lightly.

kiwi790 wrote: »
    Hi I also have GERD and am in the medical field so I can see this from both sides. I've basically been on all the GERD meds from ppis to H2 blockers, but have found Ranitidine to be my drug of choice. I especially have problems at night so I take a ranitidine before bed. Also make sure to not eat for 2-2 & 1/2 hours before laying down. Putting more pillows under your bed can also be helpful. I had to cut out all triggers for 3 months a few years ago, it was rough but now my GERD is much more under control. I cut out coffee/tea, all alcohol, chocolate, tomatoes, vinegar, and fried foods. It made a huge difference. Just don't get too down, your GERD will get better! This is hopefully just a temporary flair up!