Anyone with PCOS?

Options
Just wondering if there's anyone here living with PCOS? I'm really worried that I'm never going to achieve my weight loss goals if PCOS is acting as a barrier.

Replies

• rowclic
    rowclic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I was diagnosed with PCOS in my late teens (I'm now 42). Back then, even my doctor had never heard of it. Believe it or not it was a Cosmo article about PCOS that might as well have been written about me made me see my doctor!
    For us PCOS'ers the key is low carb and low glycemic index. I was on Metformin for a long time but it gave me lots of tummy troubles.
    I've been doing A LOT of research over the last 6 weeks, trying to find the lattest and greatest PCOS solutions. I started by adjusting MFP to daily goals of 30% carbs, 30% fat and 40% protein. My daily calories are 1500 and 40% protien was quite tough. This weekend I added whey protein powder and have made strawberry spinach protein smoothies for my afternoon snack and that seems to help.
    The one thing I'm very excited about is the reasearch and lab testing I've found on a product called Inositol. It's a B vitamin product. It's a powder you mix with water. It's showing great results in PCOS patients for insulin control. I ordered some from Amazon cause I couldn't find it locally. I'm hoping it arrives this week.
    I've been excercising almost daily - 40 minutes walking or treadmill, doing a 30 day squat challenge and mixing in some cardio DVDs.
    So far I've lost 10 lbs since mid Jan - not to shabby (on a goal of 100lbs)!

Wow...that's a lot more of a story than I intended to send you!

Weight loss can be achieved with PCOS. I've done it before and unfortunately didn't maintain so I'm back where I was 6 years ago! But I'm not dwelling on that - I can't!
    I've created a motivation board with pics of outfits and activities I want to be able to do. I've made it clear to my family and friends what my goals are and how I need them to support me. My new mantra is "just get through today - just one day"

You can go it!!
    Keep me posted!!
    Cherie
  • LauraHS1988
    LauraHS1988 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS!
    Similar the above poster, I've also started on Inositol.
    I was diagnosed at age 16, almost 27 now. My weight has fluctuated throughout the years. Just after Xmas 2014 I hit by highest weight. So I set new goals:
    Max NET carbs per day: 150g this is reasonable for me. (Before I was between 200-300g carbs/day) . And currently my calories are set at 1770 but I try moreso to stay between 1500-1600.
    I exercise EVERYDAY now. I go to the gym on my lunch hour, and on the days I don't go I have a treadmill at home. Since December 28th I have lost 15 pounds. And I also have autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's-common with PCOS) on top of that, which has slowed things at times.
    It's a frustrating barrier, but it is possible. Getting started was the hardest part...you have to make the time, plan ahead and be organized. After about a month it is becoming more routine.
    GOod luck, you can do it!
  • rowclic
    Options
    Hi LauraH - where did you buy the Inositol? What brand? Does it taste like anything or can you really just mix it with water?
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS since I was 15 (38 now) and all the typical symptoms. I'd never heard of Inositol before reading this thread and just ordered some on amazon! Can't wait to see if helps... :smiley:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I was DXed with PCOS at age 16 (now...sigh...40....) I've tried low carb and all it did was make me angry. I have been on Metformin for years and that's what finally made me *able* to lose weight. It was still years after being on the medicine before I did the work, but once I did, I could lose weight pretty normally. Key for me has been exercise. Lots of it.
  • ALindseyLaw
    ALindseyLaw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm Hashi, PCOS and Celiac - I hear ya ladies! I've been on Inositol through my DR for a few months, seeing positive test results but not losing weight. He encouume to work on building muscle to help aid the process of healthy insulin burning and storage. Looking for accountability and support while I work on this next step!
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Woo Woo PCOS ladies!

There are a couple of great PCOS groups I highly recommend... also feel free to add me. Was diagnosed a year ago.

Also, let me know how the Inositol goes. Super curious about it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are lots of people here with PCOS.
  • girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've done some reading online, but you know what they say about the internet.
    What do you guys find is the most challenging part of living with PCOS, if any?
  • tiffeh345
    tiffeh345 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I was diagnosed at age 14 (25 now). It has been extremely hard for me to lose weight. This time has been the most successful I have been with weight loss. The key for me is exercise. I try to exercise every morning before work.

I do not take any medicine for it. I do, however, take something as an appetite suppressant. It is called Purple Tiger. It is made locally but you can get it online and from people who sell it.

Anyone that would like, feel free to send me a friend request. I am always looking for people that share my struggles! :)
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wanted to share something that helped... I did a 5 month Candida diet back in 2010 with a traditional chinese medicine doctor, and one of the best supplements she put me on was chlorella. I've had more regular cycles (35-40 days apart rather than 3-4 times a year) ever since and no longer have massive blood sugar fluctuations throughout the day. If I start having intense cravings I take up to 6 grams/day till things even out again. I also identified a wheat allergy when I tried to reintroduce it after the candida diet was done so have been wheat-free ever since.
  • jodielarms
    jodielarms Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 16 and I'm now 26. Metformin helped me a little with weight because I had to reduce sugar intake or be best buddies with the toilet. Also my endocrinologist kept telling me to have max 50 carbs a day. Yeah, never going to happen unless im looking for an excuse to commit a murder. no idea what changed in my body but after 2 kids (and 110ish pounds of pregnancy weight) I'm now about 30 pounds lighter than when I started. And I no longer take metformin and my Dr has thrown my diagnosis out the window (due to getting pregnant twice with PCOS and being on birth control), but I go every 6 months to have a check up.
  • calypsotracey
    calypsotracey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 23 years ago when I was 18. I have found that it’s possible to lose weight, but it requires me to stay very focused on meeting my calorie and exercise goals. I don’t enjoy a low-carb diet so I try to make the carbs that I do eat healthy ones and limit my refined sugar intake. Sometimes it feels like losing weight is harder than it should be, but on the bad days I look at the MFP charts and remind myself that I’ve lost close to 55lbs since May 2014.
  • girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would be very interested to chat more to any one of you about your experience living with PCOS. It is a new diagnosis for me and I'm feeling a little on edge about it, so any support I can get would be greatly appreciated :)
  • SakuraAlkaid
    SakuraAlkaid Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm a relatively new user of MFP (25 days and counting) but I've been diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroidism for three years now (since I was 19) so I understand how they both can interfere with weight loss. I'm glad to see that I can talk to others on here who have similar difficulties as me, however, while finding that extra push to keep within my daily calories. It's very nice meeting all of you ladies and I look forward to talking with you all more. =]
  • rowclic
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Got my Inositol today. Yeah! Will report back in a few weeks on the early results!
    Also seeing the nurse practitioner on Wednesday for some additional guidance and blood work. I figure I can use all the coaching I can get my hand on!
    Have a great weekend ladies!
  • lindsw77
    Options
    Hi all

I have PCOS as well- working hard to manage it naturally right now. I am 25 and have probably been suffering from it since I was 10 (when I first started my period, but wasn't diagnosed until 18). I never had a regular period until I started taking vitex a year ago (increases progesterone) and have suffered from acne most of my life. The only time my skin was clear was on spironlactone which I took on and off between age 18 and 25. It was great for acne, oily skin and male pattern hair but had some sucky side effects when I was on it recently.

I was already dealing with depression from the lose of my father and my acne was worse so I went back on spironlactone. Bad idea. Spironlactone is a potassium sparing diuretic. So it holds potassium in your body which can mess with your heart. To spare you the details I ended up taking a trip to urgent care and going off spironlactone.

I was at my wits end and needed a solution. I did hours of research and decided that the root problem was insulin resistance which was throwing all my other hormones off balance and actually causing PCOS. I was willing to do anything to fix it but my usual solution (spironlactone) had just been stripped from me.

(BTW Spiro doesn't actually deal with the root it just blocks the excess testosterone from affecting your skin. You still have excess insulin in your body that forces your ovaries to produce the male hormone.)

All of this happened about a month ago. I decided to take drastic matters to manage my PCOS and I have to say.... It's working!!! My skin is 80% clear from what it was a month ago. It's amazing.

I took the approach from two sides:

- healing my gut (to stop inflammation)
    - Eating low GI foods (to deal with the insulin resistance and lower free testosterone)

Here is everything I'm doing:

Supplements:

1. Inositol (insulin sensitizer) 2 grams
    2. NAC 1200 mg
    3. Fish oil (reduce inflammation)
    4. Vitamin D3 5,000 IU
    5. Vitex (increase progesterone)
    6. Probiotic

Diet:

1. Dairy free
    2. Sugar free
    3. Gluten free
    4. Low glycemic index foods (basically paleo)
    5. Drink homemade bone broth daily (gut and brain health)
    6. Drink lots of tea with cinnamon (helps regulate blood sugar spikes)
    7. Only oil I use is coconut and olive oil. Most others cause inflammation.

That may seem extreme but I feel amazing. I plan to change it some once I get my skin to where I want it. But it's been a month and I've seen a significant improvement in my PCOS symptoms.

Hope that helps. Feel free to add me!
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello Cyst-ers! I have PCOS also. I was diagnosed 2 years ago (30 years old). I got it later rather than in my teens. Metformin and low carb have been when I notice weight loss. When I don't do low carb I don't lose weight. My goal is to lose enough where I no longer have PCOS then switch back to a reg diet. As for my carbs I have been trying to keep them under 50 grams and drink LOTS of water. I have noticed that this is my sweet spot and where I start to see weight loss. I also have extremely high triglycerides so this is a great place for me to be diet wise. Good luck! Also play around with what works for you, everybody is different.
  • Raylotekka
    Raylotekka Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, how does one get diagnosed with PCOS? I believe I have many of the symptoms: irregular period (since my teens), facial hair, thinning hair, depression, weight gain. I also have hypothyroidism. I once briefly discussed PCOS with my GP, and asked his thoughts -- he said you probably have it.
  • 15TWife
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 14 years ago. We knew at 16 when I still had not started having periods that something wasn't right but wasn't officially diagnosed until age 20. Weight loss is key to feeling better and maintaining a healthy life with PCOS. I wasn't sure I could ever have children but once I dropped from 155lbs to 135lbs at the age of 23, I was able to conceive without even trying but after him and gaining even more weight I have been unsuccessful with being able to have another child, so that shows me that the weight loss is a huge piece. After my son was born I seemed to have normal periods without assistance for about a year and was able to lose the baby weight for the most part, but something happened and the weight started pouring on. I know that I wasn't as active as I was prior to my son but even just losing the weight became a struggle. In the past 9, almost 10 years, I have been on a roller coaster with my weight and I truly believe it's been due to the PCOS. My eating isn't the best, even when I try my headrest I will lose great, then stall. I have read so much about PCOS and finally after all these years I'm beginning to understand the keys to losing and the food lifestyle I will have to live to be healthier and feel better. PCOS makes you insulin resistant, so eating more of a low carb/diebatic diet is key. Now, I'm in no way a nutritionist but these are the things I have learned and I'm still learning as I research. Watching your caloric intake (find the right amount of calories you need a day) eating often with 4 to 5 small meals a day will help with your insulin levels and making sure to eat a protein with a healthy carb at each meal is important to keep things balanced. I learned a trick that I thought was pretty neat, first of all no foods over 10g of sugar, and then a way to see if what your eating is the right choice, you take the fiber and times that number by 10. If that number is more than the amount of carbs, you're good, but if the fiber x10 = less than the carbs, you know to stay clear of that food. So, if the food had 23 carbs and 3 fiber, you would do 3 x 10 = 30, that number is more than the total carbs per serving so you know you're good. Whole grains are a great way to lower insulin levels too. There is so much to learn about PCOS and it feels as though we will never get out of this pile of fat stuck on our bodies but with determination and knowledge, it can be done. I'm on the journey right now and if anyone needs support and help like I do, add me as a friend and we will do this together ;) Best of luck to everyone!