Eating 1200 calories but still gaining weight

Options
Hi, I'm a 55 year old woman. I've been eating 1200 calories a day for 2 weeks and gained 2 lbs. I have not been exercising (other than an occasional walk with the dog) and I take thyroid meds for the past 30 years. I've gained 20 lbs in a little over 1 year since I started going thru menopause.What could be wrong? Anyone else have this problem and found the solution?

Replies

• LinsDiet
    LinsDiet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I totally understand. Have you looked at your carb intake? I was doing 1200 a day but of those calories, too many were carbs and my body was having an issue losing. I actually gained. I focus on high proteins, green veggies and some dairy (Greek yogurt) now and that seems to be doing the trick. I've started losing now.
  • LinsDiet
    LinsDiet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I realized I sent off that last message without adding: You can do this. You're already doing the hard part, which is trying. Hang in there!! :-)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I can not really offer any advice in terms of your condition/medication etc, but please do not give up on your diet and try to stay positive. The weight will eventually move. Have you noticed your clothes fitting any better? You might be loosing inches but carrying water weight (from the medication) which is giving the illusion of weight gain on the scale.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I can not really offer any advice in terms of your condition/medication etc, but please do not give up on your diet and try to stay positive. The weight will eventually move. Have you noticed your clothes fitting any better? You might be loosing inches but carrying water weight (from the medication) which is giving the illusion of weight gain on the scale.

This^

I'm thinking you've got some water weight. Hang in there!
  • asarris435
    asarris435 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im also doing 1200 calories and im your age. I try to get 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat. Im eating more lean protein and non fat/low fat dairy (greek yogurt/ cottage cheese). I also average 60minutes of cardio a day with some weights. Im averaging a 1.5 pound loss a week.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    dwhite1201 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a 55 year old woman. I've been eating 1200 calories a day for 2 weeks and gained 2 lbs. I have not been exercising (other than an occasional walk with the dog) and I take thyroid meds for the past 30 years. I've gained 20 lbs in a little over 1 year since I started going thru menopause.What could be wrong? Anyone else have this problem and found the solution?

How tall are you and what do you currently weigh? (someone who is 5' and eating 1200 cals and someone who is 6' and eating 1200 cals will see different results)

Do you weigh and measure your food?

What is your goal weight?
  • dwhite1201
    dwhite1201 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 175 lbs. No I don't weigh and measure my food and my goal weight is 135 ish. I've been about 20 lbs overweight (155) for probably 15 years eating pretty much how I wanted and never gained any more weight. But then last year all of a sudden the weight starting coming on me with a vengeance. I feel like I watch every morsel of food that goes in my mouth but continue to gain weight. As I said before, I've been lazy about exercising so I'm sure that has something to do with it but I'm really just surprised that I am continuing to gain when only eating 1200 calories a day.
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Maybe try weighing/measuring your food more often - You may be consuming more calories than you think. Also, I'm a big believer in understanding what foods make you gain weight and lose weight since everyone is different. Try switching up your routine foods with something different.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I know people have said many times. Are you weighing your food? If not, you can start from there and tell us after 2 weeks.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could be eating a lot more than you think if you don't weight and measure. Example: 1 'slice' of white bread on the counter is 67cal. When I weigh my bread, it comes to 120cal on average (45g slice) which is even bigger than the 'large' slice (80cal). If I eat a sandwich, or two pieces of toast, that's a pretty huge difference for a 1200 cal diet.
  • ashkinb
    ashkinb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 66, have been in menopause since I was 41, also on thyroid meds, and also trying to eat 1200 calories / day though can do slightly more when I exercise and have been losing between 1.5 and 2 lbs/week since end of January. I agree with all of the above: try upping protein over carbs, make sure you're drinking all your water, and you don't say anything about your pre-prepared food intake but sodium in those could easily be causing water retention along with not drinking enough. Measure and log, measure and log (the MFP calorie nutrient database is excellent and makes it really easy) - and start walking. You can do it!!
  • OregonBekah
    OregonBekah Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You have received some very good advice here about weighing and measuring your food. I know that it is not much fun to do that but I have found, for my ownself, if I am gaining and I start weighing and measuring, I am really eating way more than I think I am. We are all here for you and I just want to say, good for you for taking this step to get healthy.
    For my exercise, I have started doing Leslie Sansone on UTube. 3 days a week I do the 1 mile booster walk, it only takes less than 15 minutes and she really works you out. You can start with her beginners walking videos. I can't afford a gym membership so this is a great way for me to get something in besides walking my two little dogs who don't walk fast or far.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree with measuring. Never eyeball a serving, it's dangerous. Don't give up though, you've got this!