What surprises have you found about foods you didn't realize before logging?

Options
One of the interesting things about logging foods is what I've learned about the nutrition/calories of certain foods that are different than what I had believed was true. For instance, I always thought that peanut butter, while full of calories, had a lot of protein. Not so - at just 4g/100 calories it's not a great tradeoff. I still eat it b/c i love it, though. I always that that sour cream, the full fat kind which I love, was a calorie bomb, but it's really not bad at just 60 calories for 2T. What things have surprised you?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Salmon.

I always thought it would be on par with tuna. No idea why I thought that, but I did.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    That 2% milk isn't even remotely worth the taste tradeoff for the calorie savings.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    That advocados are tasty> and are not packed with as many calories as i thought .
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Salmon.

I always thought it would be on par with tuna. No idea why I thought that, but I did.

What do you mean 'on par with"? Calories/ounce?
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'd rather get the 2% greek yogurt than the fat free....totally worth the extra calories.

• JoJo61612
    JoJo61612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had no idea how many calories sushi had in it
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    That advocados are tasty> and are not packed with as many calories as i thought .

Goes for me too. I just started incorporating avocados into my diet this year. I actually like them and think they really have the ability to smooth out a fruit/fiber/protein smoothie! (I've also made chocolate pudding with them). Wish I'd have given them a chance earlier.
  • PACO1481
    PACO1481 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I decided to focus on building muscle rather than watching the scale.....so for my diet I have to focus on getting enough protein. I was amazed at how hard it is to increase it to where I need it! But I love having something new to focus on, and the perk is that with eating all the protein I don't really want all the carbs I used to eat. :-)
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Tiny additions to salad, oatmeal, etc. can also quickly up the calorie count. Have learned to choose what I add more carefully!!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    That the whole "eat as much fruit as you like" is bologne. I can eat my days calories in one fruit salad (i love fruit!)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    store bought carby sweets are not worth the calories...I prefer to make my own.

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That butter (real butter, of course) is not that big a calorie hit for the flavor it brings to the party - totally worth it, every time.
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That if you eat nothing but "healthy" foods I get nowhere near my calories allowance and I'm always allowed a treat.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Sodium. I never realized how much sodium I was eating. No wonder I woke up with fat fingers most mornings.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    All those sesame and chia seeds I was sprinkling on food? Have WAY more calories than I thought.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    How vitamin lacking almost all processed foods are, even when "enriched". How lean ground beef isn't much different from ground turkey cal for cal, it's not worth the price or the taste loss in something that should be BEEFY.
  • melyssachan
    melyssachan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How much I was eating.
    I was really bad at eating if anything was close to me or if someone asked me if I wanted something to eat.
  • sammyantics
    sammyantics Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    How much I was eating.
    I was really bad at eating if anything was close to me or if someone asked me if I wanted something to eat.

this. food is so tempting. even if i don't like it that much.
  • crys_todd
    crys_todd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Non-fat dairy of any sort is never worth it (milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese). I'd rather have 1 oz of delicious full fat cheese than 1 lb of the non fat stuff. Usually the calorie savings aren't even that much anyway.

Apples have way more calories than I first thought and sweet potatoes have way less.

An actual half cup of oatmeal is almost 30% more than when I weigh out 40 grams.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    How many calories I was putting in my coffee in the form of half and half.