What surprises have you found about foods you didn't realize before logging?

Options

Replies

• shoust59
    shoust59 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    grapes are surprisingly high in calories!
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options

How do you weigh Peanut butter? I'm new to this and having trouble figuring how to "weigh" things like this...

I have a digital scale, and this is how I do it:

Put your slice of bread on the scale and calibrate it (I just push the calibrate button) so the scale zeroes out with the bread on it. Then put peanut butter on the bread, then put the deliciously peanut-buttery bread back on the scale and it will show you the weight of just the peanut butter.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I may have to buy a better scale... mine is a cheapy from many moons ago....
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The eye opener for me was portion control and weighing my food. I was eating a crazy amount of calories before I started doing that routinely.

Don't remember where I read this, but someone determined that we're usually satisfied by a relatively small amount of a particular food. But if it's on the plate we keep eating it because it's there.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I can never eat boxed mac and cheese again... It's like crack for me... It's the only thing I can't eat it in moderation and the calories are so high and I don't even feel full after 400 calories.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The thing I miss most is cheese. An actual serving of cheese is so small, vs the big calorie wallop. I still eat it, but super rarely because when I do eat cheese it's never JUST cheese. It's cheese, prosciutto, honey, pecans and a glass of wine. I miss cheese!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How much calories are in drumsticks!!! I used to have 3-4 of those a week!

How much easier it is to stay at my calorie goal without being hungry if I don't drink my calories. Now I eat my fruits instead of drinking them.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The thing I miss most is cheese. An actual serving of cheese is so small, vs the big calorie wallop. I still eat it, but super rarely because when I do eat cheese it's never JUST cheese. It's cheese, prosciutto, honey, pecans and a glass of wine. I miss cheese!
    Mmmmmm!

I don't eat a lot of bread, pasta or rice now. I don't find them worth the calories and I can do without them quite well. I'll have a bit if I want, but the huge plates of creamy pasta with a tiny salad thrust on the side of the plate are behind me (I hope!)

• DoreenaV1975
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »

How much easier it is to stay at my calorie goal without being hungry if I don't drink my calories. Now I eat my fruits instead of drinking them.

Wait! Drumsticks as in chicken or ice cream?
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options

The ice cream!!! LOL
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories in nuts, PB&J sandwiches, pizza, sugar-sweetened yogurt, "healthy" breakfast cereals, and alcoholic beverages. When I think of the calories I have put away in one night due to beer and pizza....I just can't even.

I know the feeling ..i love beer and pizza lol
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options

The ice cream!!! LOL

Hahahahahahaha! Yeah I figured! :D
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh my plate before I serve myself. Add the food, weigh again and do the math (minus the weight of the plate).
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    See, now I thought I would get less cheese per serving than I actually do. I have a cheese plane that cuts whisper thin slices of hard cheeses, and, believe me, there are a LOT of slices in an ounce of sharp cheddar, if you slice it super thin.

Of course, if you are like CERTAIN HUSBANDS and insist upon taking bites directly out of an 8 oz block of Cabot Seriously Sharp? You have a rude awakening coming your way.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    See, now I thought I would get less cheese per serving than I actually do. I have a cheese plane that cuts whisper thin slices of hard cheeses, and, believe me, there are a LOT of slices in an ounce of sharp cheddar, if you slice it super thin.

Of course, if you are like CERTAIN HUSBANDS and insist upon taking bites directly out of an 8 oz block of Cabot Seriously Sharp? You have a rude awakening coming your way.

Ok, this had me LOL. I can understand the impulse though.
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've found some foods can easily have twice as many calories as advertised because the serving size isn't consistent.
  • joeherbert48
    joeherbert48 Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That you can lose weight eating the "right" tv dinners. :)

Oh and for bread lovers. Wonder Bread has an excellent low cal low sodium one out. White Wheat I think it's called. It's 60 cal still but only 75 sodium per slice I believe. I'm on a low salt diet only 1500mg so I have to watch sodium content in everything I eat.

If you're looking for good fast food. Burger King Double cheesburger (no bun, no pickles no ketchup) and bring that home and use Heinze no salt ketchup and this no salt substiture in a big white container they sell at Walmart's. It's just called Original NO SALT sodium free salt. Go figure. lol Also at Walmart's they sell these Great Value Hamburger Buns....90 cal/150 sodium for the whole bun. They are small but same size as Burger King uses for the Dbl Cheeseburger.
  • manders_b
    manders_b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The weight vs. measuring cups/spoons thing was huge for me. I bought a scale and was so surprised by my first weighed meal that I started just weighing foods I had around to see what the real serving looked like vs. the package estimate. Totally worth the $15!

Also that "a steak" is not a serving size, and that my beloved twizzlers pull n peel has 100+ calories per twist :o
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    estherlion wrote: »
    I weigh my plate before I serve myself. Add the food, weigh again and do the math (minus the weight of the plate).

This is really taking the long way around. For example, put the plate on there, hit tare. Now you are at zero. Add the first item and record that weight on MFP, hit tare again. Add the next item and record the weight, hit tare, etc. It takes me next to no time to add foods from my recent list and then just edit the weights.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    That advocados are tasty> and are not packed with as many calories as i thought .

Goes for me too. I just started incorporating avocados into my diet this year. I actually like them and think they really have the ability to smooth out a fruit/fiber/protein smoothie! (I've also made chocolate pudding with them). Wish I'd have given them a chance earlier.

How did you make your avocado chocolate pudding, I tried and mine turned out disgusting :(