What is the wrap thing?

Options
A friend of mine invited me to a wrap party. Can someone explain what is this? Does it work? How does it work?

Replies

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that it is overpriced Saran wrap that will temporarily cause you to lose water weight. I have a friend on Facebook that sells them and I think my three month progress pics just from eating at a caloric deficit look better than the ones she posts with the wraps, fat burners, defining gel, etc. Basically, I'd save the money.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    My understanding is that it is overpriced Saran wrap that will temporarily cause you to lose water weight. I have a friend on Facebook that sells them and I think my three month progress pics just from eating at a caloric deficit look better than the ones she posts with the wraps, fat burners, defining gel, etc. Basically, I'd save the money.

All this. Honestly they are a waste of money. You'll lose water weight that will most likely come back after a day or two.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Paging @tincanonastring . He knows his wraps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Jgasmic wrote: »

All this. Honestly they are a waste of money. You'll lose water weight that will most likely come back after a day or two.

All of this.

People have been trying "wraps" since at least the 50s. It didn't work then. It doesn't work now.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    jclark0425 wrote: »
    A friend of mine invited me to a wrap party. Can someone explain what is this? Does it work? How does it work?

It's like a spoken form of music that includes poetry and is all about rhythm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapping
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

Are they BODY wraps or NAIL wraps?

Body wrap = waste of time.

Nail wraps = alternative to manicure.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Depending on the company, it is usually gauze soaked in essential oils that you wrap around your body, then encase yourself in some kind of non-breathable covering in order for the oils to get absorbed and either cure all your ills, make your skin glow, or make you lose weight. The only thing that might sometimes work is the deep moisturizing of the skin (depending on what other things they mix the EO's with) which you can get much cheaper with a good bath soak or a lotion.

Also, be prepared to part with a lot of your money since it is no different than Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Mary Kay etc. type parties (except some, like Tupperware, actually sell something useful).

• WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just try to think ... How would such a thing work? If, somehow, it could magically pull fat out of your body, wouldn't it have to go somewhere? After use, the wrap is wet, not covered in fat.

Straight-up gimmick. If you want to go to the party, fine. But I'd advise against buying anything,
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Depending on the company, it is usually gauze soaked in essential oils that you wrap around your body, then encase yourself in some kind of non-breathable covering in order for the oils to get absorbed and either cure all your ills, make your skin glow, or make you lose weight. The only thing that might sometimes work is the deep moisturizing of the skin (depending on what other things they mix the EO's with) which you can get much cheaper with a good bath soak or a lotion.

Also, be prepared to part with a lot of your money since it is no different than Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Mary Kay etc. type parties (except some, like Tupperware, actually sell something useful).

Hey hey now.....pampered chef makes a beautiful and useful (yes yes, overpriced) pizza stone.

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If they actually make a visible difference for you and you're doing it for an event or something and not expecting the results to be permanent, it's not a waste of time. I've often considered trying it out before events or photoshoots but never got round to it. Of course, whether or not they make a visible difference is the question. I've read reviews where some have said they've made a noticeable difference, and some have said they did nothing but make the skin a bit softer.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Hey hey now.....pampered chef makes a beautiful and useful (yes yes, overpriced) pizza stone.

I agree fully. I love mine, as well as my 13 x 9 baking dish. Perfect for casseroles.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    i04rqhok24jg.png

This is amazing :D
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    The idea behind the wrap is that the "all natural herbal lotion" is supposed to "explode" fat cells as it seeps into your skin to release the built up toxins that accumulate in your fatty cells. It is not meant to lose "water weight" as you are supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces for the next 72 hours after the wrap. You wear it for 45-90 minutes every 3 days and 4 wears is one "treatment". So basically, one treatment over two weeks. Reviews on these wraps are hit or miss. Half the people that use them love them and the other half hated them. Half the people that hated them didn't use them properly anyway. As a previous poster said, they've been around for many many years. Something that doesn't work at all doesn't stay around that long. Someone somewhere had to have excellent results from this or they wouldn't still make them. Anyway, I will confess that I have ordered a box of these. They were on sale and cheap enoughf or me to take the risk. Even is they only work temporarily, my wedding is coming up and I'll take the chance at looking better in the dress that day. I promise to take many pictures before and after and 72 hours later so that everyone can see how it works for me. I'm not getting my hopes up because I'm sceptical about everything. I don't expect these wraps to work. If they do, YAY for me and my husband will try it too. If not, financially, I'm not out anything really.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options

And their mandoline at one point was reasonably priced - we've had our for 15 years and it does the job
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    they are not serving buffalo chicken wraps at this party???

oh you mean the expensive saran wrap that you put around your body and you lose weight??? yea, ditch that one.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »

And their mandoline at one point was reasonably priced - we've had our for 15 years and it does the job

I have one I bought 35 years ago for less than $5 at a hardware store and it is still working great. I was banned from Pampered Chef parties among my friends because I have more types of gadgets than they sell, and I knew more about how to use them than the presenter.

• earlnabby
    Options
    The idea behind the wrap is that the "all natural herbal lotion" is supposed to "explode" fat cells as it seeps into your skin to release the built up toxins that accumulate in your fatty cells. It is not meant to lose "water weight" as you are supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces for the next 72 hours after the wrap. You wear it for 45-90 minutes every 3 days and 4 wears is one "treatment". So basically, one treatment over two weeks. Reviews on these wraps are hit or miss. Half the people that use them love them and the other half hated them. Half the people that hated them didn't use them properly anyway. As a previous poster said, they've been around for many many years. Something that doesn't work at all doesn't stay around that long. Someone somewhere had to have excellent results from this or they wouldn't still make them. Anyway, I will confess that I have ordered a box of these. They were on sale and cheap enoughf or me to take the risk. Even is they only work temporarily, my wedding is coming up and I'll take the chance at looking better in the dress that day. I promise to take many pictures before and after and 72 hours later so that everyone can see how it works for me. I'm not getting my hopes up because I'm sceptical about everything. I don't expect these wraps to work. If they do, YAY for me and my husband will try it too. If not, financially, I'm not out anything really.

Sounds like you are going into it with reasonable expectations, just make sure you try it at least once a week or two before the wedding in case your skin reacts to one of the ingredients. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are going into it with reasonable expectations, just make sure you try it at least once a week or two before the wedding in case your skin reacts to one of the ingredients. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

The wedding is July 11 and I should be getting the box today so I've got a month to fix whatever mistake I might be making. :wink: