Is there any reason dairy shouldn't be my primary source of protein?

Options
I watch the fat content because I know dairy can have a lot of fat. I'm a vegetarian though, and a lot of my protein comes from Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, cheese, and whey protein. I eat other foods high in protein too, but the dairy is probably the most constant. I recently read a couple posts saying that dairy tends to make some people bloated. I also heard that whey protein hasn't been proven to be as effective as other proteins. So I just got curious about it all. What can y'all tell me!? Thanks!

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your main question but I think the bloating is because a lot of people have some level of lactose intolerance. If it doesn't have that effect on you I don't think it's an issue.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. Dairy is my primary source of protein. I eat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt every day. Fat is also not something to be afraid of. I eat 2% Greek yogurt (because I can't find the full fat) and full-fat cottage cheese.

The only low-fat dairy product I eat is cheddar cheese. I eat the 2%. I actually prefer it.

As far as protein powder is concerned? You heard wrong about whey protein. It's one of the best and has a superior amino acid profile. I drink a whey/casein blend.

For the record? Consuming all this dairy (and a lot of eggs as well)? My cholesterol and triglycerides are perfect. And I'm older with a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol. Don't worry about the fat in dairy!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm in to hear whether all that dairy causes bloat in others. I've been having bloat issues and eat a stupid amount of greek yogurt.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    People with bloating issues might be lactose intolerant. Sorry! I only have bloat trouble when my gut is acting up in the aftermath of an accidental gluten exposure.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I drink a whey/casein blend.
    Did you find a way to get this blend, or really any non-whey protein, for cheap? Nothing against whey I just want to try other types and blends but I don't wanna spend all the dollars
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Nope, there's been days where I've had like 60g of my protein come from greek yogurt. Milk is also another source that I like, it's quick and cheap! I usually have a skim milk and a 2% in my fridge, so if I'm low on fats it helps me fix that too. & whey iso is my fav. I ran out a while ago, but when I had it I was having 2 scoops a day. Very helpful stuff if you're not lactose intolerant :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Our bodies aren't designed to handle lactose. Babies and tots have a lot of enzymes to digest it, but adult people generally don't. There is a theory that we are evolving to be able to digest it better, and that it's because we drink it. Some people who keep drinking it keep the enzymatic activity going and even when they stop drinking it, they can pick it back up and the enzymes are still there and ready to do their thing. Other people aren't so lucky. It's all very fascinating in an extremely boring way. But most of the adult world has trouble with lactose...in fact, most of the world doesn't drink milk once they stop nursing.

That's the reason for the bloating. The body is trying to digest it and it's wreaking a small amount of havoc in there. If you don't bloat, you don't! :)

Soybeans! Yumilicious and complete protein!!

I can't tell you what's right or wrong for you, but do keep an eye on balancing your veggies, getting your complementary proteins...and enjoy you're dairy, if you're lucky enough to be able to eat it!!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Ignoring the "bodies designed" comment, the statement that there's a theory that we're evolving to be able to digest lactose better is false.

Humans who populated areas where dairy was available ADAPTED to it, and have the enzyme necessary for its digestion.

We're pretty good at that adaptation thing. Arguments based on what we are "meant" to eat or not are silly because of that fact.

People with mild lactose intolerance issues can easily get around them by taking Lactaid.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Ignoring the "bodies designed" comment, the statement that there's a theory that we're evolving to be able to digest lactose better is false.

Humans who populated areas where dairy was available ADAPTED to it, and have the enzyme necessary for its digestion.

We're pretty good at that adaptation thing. Arguments based on what we are "meant" to eat or not are silly because of that fact.

People with mild lactose intolerance issues can easily get around them by taking Lactaid.

It's not false. People are studying it.

Lactaid does not work for everyone.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth. If you want to continue to say I'm wrong, I'll leave it be. But I'm not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    Bloating is usually from lactose in the milk. The is Lactaid, but for me I keep dairy down to a minimum. Usually just cheese, yogurt and ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm in to hear whether all that dairy causes bloat in others. I've been having bloat issues and eat a stupid amount of greek yogurt.

If it does it's usually lactose intolerance, although greek yogurt (and cheese) has less lactose than various other dairy products (like just milk or non-greek yogurt).

It's common enough that it's worth experimenting with, especially if it's an issue in your family. (The prevalence of lactose intolerance varies by ethnic background/geography quite a lot, and unsurprisingly is much less common among groups who have been relying on dairy for a long time and more so with the reverse. You can apparently see this quite dramatically by comparing different parts of India with each other. Dairy was important starting early on in much of northern and western Europe, so lactose intolerance tends to be less common with people from those areas. I just find this interesting.)

I love dairy and it doesn't cause me bloating (and my ancestry is northern and western Europe, go figure) so I don't think it's an issue for everyone.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yes, this.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

If it does it's usually lactose intolerance, although greek yogurt (and cheese) has less lactose than various other dairy products (like just milk or non-greek yogurt).

It's common enough that it's worth experimenting with, especially if it's an issue in your family. (The prevalence of lactose intolerance varies by ethnic background/geography quite a lot, and unsurprisingly is much less common among groups who have been relying on dairy for a long time and more so with the reverse. You can apparently see this quite dramatically by comparing different parts of India with each other. Dairy was important starting early on in much of northern and western Europe, so lactose intolerance tends to be less common with people from those areas. I just find this interesting.)

I love dairy and it doesn't cause me bloating so I don't think it's an issue for everyone.

Okay, thank you. I've been wanting to get to the bottom of this bloat because it is quite uncomfortable. I just assumed it was my high sodium intake until I saw this.
  • Kalikel
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I'm not going to get into a back and forth. If you want to continue to say I'm wrong, I'll leave it be. But I'm not.

Where are the studies?

Believe it or not, I didn't learn this online. It's not something that can be determined immediately. Evolving requires many, many years of adaptations and genetic changes over generations. It's not something they will know for sure in our lifetimes or our children's lifetimes.

But some people think that it is being passed along and that eventually, all people in areas where milk products are consumed on a regular basis will be able to digest them throughout their lifetimes, even if they don't continue drinking milk after they're done nursing.

Lactose intolerance isn't really something that's wrong with anyone. It's not a disease. It just is...because they don't have enough enzymes to digest the stuff like other people do. But that's natural. It's not a shortcoming or a failure on the part of the body.

Please don't ask me for links. You could probably find it online. If you can't, your library will certainly have info.
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    To answer the title of the thread: YES for two reasons
    1, air pollution and methane emissions
    2, solidarity with people around you
    :smiley:
    But seriously, if you have big problems with bloating, maybe try some probiotics. That helped me a lot to get better dairy digestion. Now i dont really have any problems with it, and i buy and use them maybe two times a year just to get some balance in my intestines.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Lactose tolerance is partly ethnic background and partly habituation. YES, some people who normally would be lactose intolerant can flip back on their lactase enzymes to a certain extent. My husband (100% Asian from an area with 100% lactose intolerance) was violently lactose intolerant when we married. With lactase (which doesn't work perfectly), he could handle one serving a day. After several years, he discovered that he can eat 2-3 servings a day with zero ill effects now. (He just REALLY likes milk and ice cream! lol!) Epigenetics, BABY. But not everyone from lactose-intolerant backgrounds can reactivate their lactase enzyme production.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Where are the studies?

Kalikel is correct about people in some countries. Googling will find much information!
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For every link talking about how lactose intolerance is for real, there will be another one saying that it's all in your head. Some evensay that bad diet is moreto blame. I am not taking sides, but here is an example:
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm equally interested in these studies. References?

This is an unnecessarily antagonistic statement, especially with nothing to back what you're saying.

The most I've heard are inconclusive (AFAIK) theories that the hormones in milk and other dairy products interfere with our own hormones and affect testosterone/estrogen levels, etc. That being said, a LOT of my daily fat and protein intake for the day comes from dairy products.