Is there any reason dairy shouldn't be my primary source of protein?

Options
13»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just as a primer on terminology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation

Lactase persistence is a genetic adaptation. It's really quite simple.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just as a primer on terminology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation

Lactase persistence is a genetic adaptation. It's really quite simple.

Also wonderful. ;-)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Dairy products naturally contain a lot of sugar. Many products add additional sugar. Yogurt is probably the worst offender. Even in the more natural products, anything vanilla flavored will have quite a few more carbs/sugars than the plain version.

There are many other sources of protein which do not also have carbs, so that's a drawback to dairy. It's likely not an issue unless a very large percentage of your protein is coming from milk products.

Read labels carefully.
  • 5krissy
    5krissy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    perfectly fine to eat dairy. its a high quality complete protein. and delicious.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    In 2013 through 2014 when I was at my heaviest (105 pounds over goal weight) I self-diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Consuming milk in particular would cause me to be chained to the toilette with rather bad GI distress. Repeatable. Even a latte would cause me distress. No more milk, cut back on most dairy, no more GI issues at all. Have milk? Problem quickly surfaced. Diagnosis seemed confirmed.

Months after I started my weight loss program, now much fitter, down 40 pounds, I decided to try milk. No issues. I had more milk. No issues.

I've brought this apparent return to tolerance of lactose up in a thread or two here and others have reported similar findings. Were our systems incapable of digesting lactose when we were at our least fit and most unhealthy points of our lives? What changed since that allows us to now tolerate these foods?

What is actually at work is unknown to me, but I'm delighted that I can incorporate any amount of dairy in my diet. I eschew 0 fat dairy products in favour of with-fat Greek yogurts, milk, cottage cheese, cheeses. I've had zero instances of GI issues since.

A healthy dose of Greek yogurt is a daily staple for me. I'm glad I can have it now.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    In 2013 through 2014 when I was at my heaviest (105 pounds over goal weight) I self-diagnosed as lactose intolerant. Consuming milk in particular would cause me to be chained to the toilette with rather bad GI distress. Repeatable. Even a latte would cause me distress. No more milk, cut back on most dairy, no more GI issues at all. Have milk? Problem quickly surfaced. Diagnosis seemed confirmed.

Months after I started my weight loss program, now much fitter, down 40 pounds, I decided to try milk. No issues. I had more milk. No issues.

I've brought this apparent return to tolerance of lactose up in a thread or two here and others have reported similar findings. Were our systems incapable of digesting lactose when we were at our least fit and most unhealthy points of our lives? What changed since that allows us to now tolerate these foods?

What is actually at work is unknown to me, but I'm delighted that I can incorporate any amount of dairy in my diet. I eschew 0 fat dairy products in favour of with-fat Greek yogurts, milk, cottage cheese, cheeses. I've had zero instances of GI issues since.

A healthy dose of Greek yogurt is a daily staple for me. I'm glad I can have it now.

That feeling when: someone mentions an interesting effect of weight loss, you try to Google it, but only find Paleo writers who don't know what they're talking about.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Dairy products naturally contain a lot of sugar. Many products add additional sugar. Yogurt is probably the worst offender. Even in the more natural products, anything vanilla flavored will have quite a few more carbs/sugars than the plain version.

There are many other sources of protein which do not also have carbs, so that's a drawback to dairy. It's likely not an issue unless a very large percentage of your protein is coming from milk products.

Read labels carefully.

It should be noted that plain yogurt contains no added sugar whatsoever. A serving of plain yogurt has 9 grams of sugar. A serving of cottage cheese has 3.5 grams. I typically eat a serving and a half of cottage cheese to get 20 grams of protein, so that's 6 grams or so of sugar.

Natural sugars from dairy plus veggies plus fruit leave me under my sugar goal for the day. I'm on the lowest calorie amount of 1200, my sugar goal is 45 grams. 15 grams from dairy aren't going to do much damage.

Those sugare are also not the types of sugars that the WHO recommends most people limit their intake of.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If there is bloating, it's probably because of the lactose like all who said above. Hard cheeses have minimal lactose, soft cheeses etc have more. Bloating etc-check out fodmaps and you will find a great deal of information on the foods that cause excess gas in the intestines, could be causing your bloating :) Lots of good info there (fodmaps) for a lot of people.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    That feeling when: someone mentions an interesting effect of weight loss, you try to Google it, but only find Paleo writers who don't know what they're talking about.

@senecarr : I'm feeling that feeling when someone un-asked acts like a total *kitten*.

The bottom line is that pre-weight loss I couldn't tolerate raw milk products at all. When I was fit before I could.

Post weight loss: I can. Again.

It's very simple - a clear and unmistakable observation I've been able to make after many instances of raw milk products causing me distress while at my heaviest, yet absolutely no such distress after I've dropped significant weight and become fit again. Same basic diet before and after, I'm not a keto/paleo/mega-protein/this-or-that. If there is a major difference other than reasonable caloric intake it is one: exercise.

A simple observation had been made without a single reference to paleo this or keto that or high carb this or mega protein that, yet you inject nonsense into the discussion.

Well done.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Make your own yoghurt. Very simple and you know for definite that there's no added this or that. Plus much tastier. Once you get a taste of it shop bought taste like plastic.
  • fatbitchmadge
    fatbitchmadge Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new here. I have been seeing a nutritionist lately and his reason for advising a limited dairy intake is that it is mucus causing. He recommended a vegan protein source which is pre-digested (developed for cancer patients with compromised digestion). I am in a similar situation for different reasons. It's expensive (my insurance pays for it) but it has been a god send for me. It is a multi level marketing product, which makes me a bit wary, but it's working for me. I don't sell it myself. I have nothing to gain. It just helped me a lot so I thought I would pass on the info. Good luck!! It's called Super Amino 23
  • fatbitchmadge
    fatbitchmadge Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also, I heard you can make vegan yogurt easily with coconut milk and a probiotic capsul.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you have bloating issues, etc you could try Lactaid pills before eating dairy. Dad's lactose intolerant and they work for him. I digest it fine tho, luckily.