500-day streak: My most effecitve meal recipe

Options
RyanTahiti
RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
Just posted my success story here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10237376/

As an addendum, I want to share my favorite recipe. It's #1 because (1) it actually tastes good, (2) it's very efficient / keeps me full for the amount of calories in a serving, (3) it's cheap, and (4) it's practical: easy to make a huge batch, and reheats well.

Ryan's Spanish Rice & Beef

2 cups Brown Rice (dry)
2 cups (1 can) Beef Broth
2 cup Water
2 lb 91% Lean Ground Beef
2 tbsp Minced Garlic
1 large Yellow Onion, diced
1 large Bell Pepper, diced
1 can Diced Tomatoes
1 can Tomato Sauce
2 cans Corn
4 cups Salsa
1 tbsp Chili Powder
2 tsp Seasoning Salt (like Tony Chachere's)
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper

In a large pot, bring rice, broth, and water to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes.
While rice is cooking, brown beef in an extra-large pan. When it's halfway done, add garlic, onions, and pepper. Cook till meat is brown.
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, salsa, and seasonings. Mix and simmer in the large pot for 15 minutes.

Makes 8 cups. Keeps in fridge for at least a week, and freezes pretty well too.
Per cup: 223 calories, 6.2g fat, 30.4g carbs (4.7 fiber, 7.9 sugar), 15g protein, 790mg sodium

Tips:
1. For "supreme" style (aka extra calorie splurge), this tastes fantastic served with melted cheddar cheese on top and corn chips mixed in.
2. Chorizo: adding it tastes a little better but adds way too many calories
3. Beans: I thought it would taste better and maybe even go farther, but beans dry it out and don't add anything to the dish.
4. Diced green chiles: I tried these in the last batch, and they were ok but didn't add as much "wow" factor as I wanted.

I've made this many, many times with lots of variations to refine the recipe as above. If you can improve on it, please let me know!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Looks good! I wonder how it would work in a crockpot? I don't have a nice big pot :(
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    I've wondered that, too. I bet there's a way to make it work. Otherwise, you can make a 1/2 recipe in a "normal" large pan.
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    Any crock pot conversion experts out there?
  • sandhop
    sandhop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could also replace 1# of the ground beef with a can of black beans (rinsed). That would lower the calorie count by 445 total calories. It sounds like a great recipe and one I will try. Thanks
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    Thanks, sandhop. I've tried it with black beans, and it dries out dish quite a bit. I like the extra protein with the beef, too, and it's still very filling for the amount of calories in a serving.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This looks great. When you say a can of tomato sauce, what size can?
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    The same standard size as the corn & diced tomatoes - 15 or 16 oz I think?
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing :)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Sounds quite good. But, forgive me for being pedantic...its not at all "Spanish." Maybe Mexican-inspired. Sorry to be off-point.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Sound delish. I am going to make this tonight!
  • RyanTahiti
    Options
    @sheer: I know, I know ... I've struggled to figure out what to call it. Tex-Mex skillet? Just rice & beef? Dry chili with rice? Jumbalaya-ish?
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the recipe. Looks great and very easy to make!
  • KrysKiss87
    KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you could toss everything into a crockpot except for the rice, cook on low for a few hours to let the flavors mingle, then make just the rice in a pot and throw everything in a bowl. then chow down. Looks delicious.
  • mahya_03
    mahya_03 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    that looks yummy
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    KrysKiss87 wrote: »
    Theoretically you could toss everything into a crockpot except for the rice, cook on low for a few hours to let the flavors mingle, then make just the rice in a pot and throw everything in a bowl. then chow down. Looks delicious.

Agreed. Rice doesn't usually do well in a crock pot. But I would omit the amount of liquid I would use for the rice from the crock pot.
  • bern_iepf
    bern_iepf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you mix it all together?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Sounds quite good. But, forgive me for being pedantic...its not at all "Spanish." Maybe Mexican-inspired. Sorry to be off-point.

It's also not Mexican, but I guess it must have a name....:o).
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    RyanTahiti wrote: »
    Thanks, sandhop. I've tried it with black beans, and it dries out dish quite a bit. I like the extra protein with the beef, too, and it's still very filling for the amount of calories in a serving.

You are right; beef adds protein. However the mix of rice & beans also makes a complete protein. This would make the recipe a vegetarian one....:o).

• sunnyrunnerfl
    sunnyrunnerfl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looks very yummy! I'll be giving this a try for lunches this week.