Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

500-day streak: My most effecitve meal recipe

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited September 2015
    Sounds very good. Must try!

Bookmarked !
  • Bookie
    Bookie Posts: 41 Member
    I really want to try this! But, I am confused on the calorie count. I'm probably doing something wrong here...

2 cups dry brown rice = 1280 calories (160 per 1/4 cup dry)
    2lbs ground beef (I use 93/7) = 1360 calories (170 per 4 oz raw)

Just these two ingredients alone would equal 330 calories per cup if this recipe makes 8 cups/servings (2640/8 = 330). The final total was 519 per serving when I entered it into the recipe builder. I understand that it will vary slightly depending on what specific brand/ingredients one is using, but this is a big difference. What am I missing? Help, please! Thank you :smile:
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    This recipe looks like it would make way more than 8 cups. Maybe there was a typo.
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    KrysKiss87 wrote: »
    Theoretically you could toss everything into a crockpot except for the rice, cook on low for a few hours to let the flavors mingle, then make just the rice in a pot and throw everything in a bowl. then chow down. Looks delicious.

Agreed. Rice doesn't usually do well in a crock pot. But I would omit the amount of liquid I would use for the rice from the crock pot.

I've had good luck with rice in the crockpot. Brown rice works much better than white rice. I do love my rice cooker though, so it's also not hard to cook up a batch and mix it in after everything is done.
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2015
    Bookie wrote: »
    I really want to try this! But, I am confused on the calorie count. I'm probably doing something wrong here...

2 cups dry brown rice = 1280 calories (160 per 1/4 cup dry)
    2lbs ground beef (I use 93/7) = 1360 calories (170 per 4 oz raw)

Just these two ingredients alone would equal 330 calories per cup if this recipe makes 8 cups/servings (2640/8 = 330). The final total was 519 per serving when I entered it into the recipe builder. I understand that it will vary slightly depending on what specific brand/ingredients one is using, but this is a big difference. What am I missing? Help, please! Thank you :smile:

The recipe makes right about 16 cups, not 8 cups. Thanks for catching that!
    91/9 beef helps the calorie count. It's relatively inexpensive at Costco, comes in a bag of 5 1-lb packages in the freezer section.
    That should get you down around the 223 mark :)

• kerisimpson81
    kerisimpson81 Posts: 2 Member
    i totally bought the ingredients for tomorrow's dinner.. i got 1lb ground turkey to 1 beef.. i'm excited i love tex-mexy stuff :)
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member

sandhop wrote: »
    You could also replace 1# of the ground beef with a can of black beans (rinsed). That would lower the calorie count by 445 total calories. It sounds like a great recipe and one I will try. Thanks

Great idea!
  • RyanTahiti
    i totally bought the ingredients for tomorrow's dinner.. i got 1lb ground turkey to 1 beef.. i'm excited i love tex-mexy stuff :)

How'd it turn out??
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    I wonder what this would be like using quinoa instead of rice. Have you ever tried that? I might do that instead with ground chicken or turkey.
  • TripMom
    TripMom Posts: 102 Member
    Saving for later. This looks good!
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    edited October 2015
    Making this right now! :) It smells awesome...

Edited to delete stupid question that I must've asked due to my extreme hunger and the awesome scents wafting through the kitchen. Lol - I figured it out!
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    This is one of the best new (to me) recipes I've tried in a while. My husband and I both loved it! Thanks for sharing
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Great meal! My whole family (and I have 5 kids) loved it!
  • RyanTahiti
    kristinels wrote: »
    This is one of the best new (to me) recipes I've tried in a while. My husband and I both loved it! Thanks for sharing
    Great meal! My whole family (and I have 5 kids) loved it!

That makes my day to know you guys liked it so much!! Thanks for posting :blush::blush:
  • RyanTahiti
    edited October 2015
    I just made yet another batch, and this time I calculated the cost ... and was quite surprised:
    $14.06
    Yeah. That's it. For the entire supersized recipe. And it makes 16 servings.
    We're talking $0.88 per serving here.
    So not only is it delicious, filling, and nutritious ... it's also CHEAP!
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    I'm going to try this as soon as I can get to the store.
  • RyanTahiti
    magtart wrote: »
    I'm going to try this as soon as I can get to the store.

Let us know what you think! I just reheated some for lunch :)

Tried diced avocado on it last week, and it was great. Melted cheddar is still my favorite topping.

• Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Add me
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    I'm going to try this tonight! I love making food with leftovers, especially on the weekend AND it should satisfy my husbands 'where's the meat' thinking :) I might add some beans just 'cause I love them.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    This was very yummy! It's a very flexible recipe as I'm sure I didn't use the same amounts as the op (one can is very subjective lol). I ended up not using the salsa and did add the beans and in the end, all was yum!! And it made a huge amount! I wasn't sure on the portion size tho, but I don't think I could go too wrong.