low blood sugar - hypoglycemia

Options
Hi, I was diagnosed with that in my early 20s, I don't think that goes away, but I kinda forgot about it. In my 50s now, have all the symptoms. Thinking that's what bothers me.
Anyone have low blood sugar?

Replies

• jacqui126
    jacqui126 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could get a blood sugar meter and check or alternatively go to your Doctor. You might have undiagnosed diabetes as low blood sugar isn't normal in a healthy adult, just as much as high blood sugar not normal. Also it is potentially dangerous. What are your symptoms?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You don't think it goes away? Have you spoken to your doctor about it? Have you had your glucose levels checked?
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia since my mid 20s and I'm now 38. I deal with it daily. It has never gone away, I've just learned how to control it better with diet and exercise.
  • arlshar
    arlshar Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, light headed, no fainting, minor headaches, extra tired, extra starving, tiny nausea, soooooo tired. Did I say extra hungry, just been a few days, maybe a week.
  • arlshar
    Options
    Thanks I'm trying to get more protein, I think the heat has really been getting to me. Places not air conditioning enough, not even where I live. I feel better tonight, it's strange, this morning I felt like I was going to pass out at work, went to DD got a large coffee, and tuna sandwich and felt all better. ☺
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do not experiment and get a dr appointment. It could be anything, from something very innocent to something more serious. The chances of this being the same problem you had more than 20 years ago are slim IMHO, with no symptoms in the meantime.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia where my body sneds out too much insulin after ameal and my blood glucose falls below where it started. When I wake up in the morning my fasting blood glucose is higher than after I eat. About 2 hours after eating carbs, I would get shaky, tired, and look for my next food/energy source.

Eating low carb high fat has completely eliminated that issue for me. I eat very low carbs so my blood glucose levels do not vary like they used to. I can EASILY go 6 hours wthout eating before I notice my stomach is rumbling. No more shakes, fatigue, or food related grumpiness.

Eating LCHF isn't for everyone, but it worked extremely well for me.
  • arlshar
    Options
    Thanks, trying to get more protein. But honestly I think the heat is really affecting me poorly, I can't wait until it gets a little bit cooler.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I would see your doctor for tests to see how low it is.

Mine gets worse in heat, not usually an issue now as I live in a moderate climate. Usually, I eat frequent meals with complex carbs/fiber, protein and healthy fat. That helps keep me steady. My doc prescribed vitamins to help keep my levels up to normal (iron, vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, calcium, B-complex). My macros are set to 35c/35p/30f. That works well for me.

I generally eat very little sugar. Sometimes berries, but not much fruit. I eat a little dark chocolate with stevia for my sweet tooth.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    sugar cravings are a sign of protein deficiency. I never crave sugar.

Sugar cravings for protein? I've never heard this. Could you link me to your source?
  • marthapie2
    marthapie2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to be hypoglycemic, I've even passed out on a full commuter train because of it! I used to just eat something sugary to pick me back up but as you know that doesn't last. When I finally upped my protein a lot, those symptoms went away. I aim for about 100g a day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Keep hikers mix at work and carry glucotabs with you. When the hunger demon hits eat some of those nuts.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Sugar cravings for protein? I've never heard this. Could you link me to your source?

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/protein-deficiency-signs
    You Crave Sweets
    One of the first signs you're low on protein: You start craving sweets and feel like you're never quite full, says Blatner. You'd think a protein shortage would trigger an urge for steak and eggs, right? But one of protein's most critical functions is keeping your blood sugar steady—which means if you're lacking, your glucose levels will be all over the place, encouraging you to reach for a quick fix like candy. "If all you ate in the morning was a handful of cereal, you're going to get energy right away, then your energy is going to wane," she says. "That up-and-down is where cravings come in."

http://lifespa.com/protein-deficiency-the-hidden-signs/
    Protein Deficiency Sign #1: Constant Craving
    Carbs, sweets, caffeine, chocolate, pop, candy, pastries, or chips; constant cravings for these non-nutritional foods point to unstable blood sugar. Not everyone with cravings is protein deficient (otherwise we would really be looking at a country-wide epidemic!), but protein deficiency and unstable blood sugar are intimately linked.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/11/ways-to-eliminate-sugar-cravings/
    Eat protein. Protein deficiency can contribute to sugar cravings as the body searches for a quick energy source. Adding protein to every meal ensures that the body always has fuel to access and maintains a steady blood sugar level, preventing any spikes and crashes.

http://www.minq.com/food/3012/10-signs-you-should-eat-more-protein#page=3
    Craving Sweets
    Many people think that when they crave sweets they are craving carbs. Your muscles need protein to function properly, and when they cannot get enough protein, they turn to carbs for energy. If you are continually craving sweets, you may be starving your muscles.

However, if your doctor one time diagnosed you with hypoglycemia, it probably would be a great idea to make an appointment with them and get it checked out.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    arlshar wrote: »
    Hi, I was diagnosed with that in my early 20s, I don't think that goes away, but I kinda forgot about it. In my 50s now, have all the symptoms. Thinking that's what bothers me.
    Anyone have low blood sugar?

Nothing to worry about, according to many low carb posters here, there is no biological need for sugar at all, thus hypoglycemia isn't a real thing. It was most likely made up by the same evil government doctors that told people to eat low fat.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/protein-deficiency-signs
    You Crave Sweets
    One of the first signs you're low on protein: You start craving sweets and feel like you're never quite full, says Blatner. You'd think a protein shortage would trigger an urge for steak and eggs, right? But one of protein's most critical functions is keeping your blood sugar steady—which means if you're lacking, your glucose levels will be all over the place, encouraging you to reach for a quick fix like candy. "If all you ate in the morning was a handful of cereal, you're going to get energy right away, then your energy is going to wane," she says. "That up-and-down is where cravings come in."

http://lifespa.com/protein-deficiency-the-hidden-signs/
    Protein Deficiency Sign #1: Constant Craving
    Carbs, sweets, caffeine, chocolate, pop, candy, pastries, or chips; constant cravings for these non-nutritional foods point to unstable blood sugar. Not everyone with cravings is protein deficient (otherwise we would really be looking at a country-wide epidemic!), but protein deficiency and unstable blood sugar are intimately linked.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/11/ways-to-eliminate-sugar-cravings/
    Eat protein. Protein deficiency can contribute to sugar cravings as the body searches for a quick energy source. Adding protein to every meal ensures that the body always has fuel to access and maintains a steady blood sugar level, preventing any spikes and crashes.

http://www.minq.com/food/3012/10-signs-you-should-eat-more-protein#page=3
    Craving Sweets
    Many people think that when they crave sweets they are craving carbs. Your muscles need protein to function properly, and when they cannot get enough protein, they turn to carbs for energy. If you are continually craving sweets, you may be starving your muscles.

However, if your doctor one time diagnosed you with hypoglycemia, it probably would be a great idea to make an appointment with them and get it checked out.

Thank you.
    Makes sense. Protein is a low (zero) Gi food so you'll still get glucose after the initial insulin surge has cleared to carbs from your blood.

You'll still get the same glucose high, but the low will be eliminated or pushed back by the proteins. Diabetics are often told to eat protein with carbs, if they are still eating many carbs.