Dealing with plateaus

Options
carnivalnights
carnivalnights Posts: 114 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know there are probably a lot of posts about this already here, and I am not sure what I am expecting... maybe just support instead of advice, as none of the advice I have followed has worked.

I have lost 60lbs in the last year and two months ago, the weight loss just stopped entirely. I have not lost a single pound in two full months (I even gained about 5 and since then it has been static), and it is obviously heartbreaking and frustrating. I am losing my motivation to keep at it (not so much the food but the working out) because it's not doing anything for me. Not only am I not losing weight, but I constantly feel heavy and bloated and just... fat. I don't have those confident body days I was having before. I don't have those "beat mode" or "like a boss" moments I had before, and after my workouts, I don't feel accomplished or satisfied because it's done nothing. Before, I was getting out what I was putting in. Now I am putting in all the effort still without any results, so I don't feel as motivated to get up and get moving. And I definitely don't feel good when I look in the mirror anymore. Despite the fact that my weight has been static, I feel heavier somehow.

I had lost my job earlier this year and was under a lot of stress with job hunting and financial issues, but the weight was still coming off up until the last two months I was unemployed (I am thankfully working now)... so I didn't just write it off as stress, though who knows. The whole period of time with no weight loss, I had been doing what I've always done to keep the weight coming off steadily: calorie restricted diet, logging food every day, not going over my macros, working out 4-5 times a week (doing different workouts with cardio and strength training). Nothing changed in terms of my routine or how much I was sticking to it. I am extremely disciplined, even during times of stress.

I've addressed everything that usually gets said when someone complains about this. I've had bloodwork done so it's nothing hormonal (or thyroid, etc.). I mix up my workouts. And I am already working out as often as I can (with my schedule/having rest days). And I can't afford something like a trainer so that's out. (I've been working out at home this whole time and had success, so I don't even feel that's necessary anyway.)

Maybe someone has tried something else that worked? I just really want to continue my weight loss journey and not have this constant block because I was doing so well. I was keeping the weight off because I was losing it slowly, and I was completely fine with that - it was at least SOME loss! I am not fine with putting in hard work for zero results two months in a row. I have a long way to go (100lbs or so) and don't have time for this hurdle. I need to figure out a way to break this cycle.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is my incredibly generic advice when someone isn't losing. If you want more specific ideas, it might help to set your diary to public or answer some of the questions people will ask about your routine.

1. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

2. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

3. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

4. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

5. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

6. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

7. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

8. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi @carnivalnights,

Congratulations on your weight loss! How much do you have left to lose?

A plateau is just another word for eating at maintenance. Some questions:

Do you weigh your food?

Have you allowed MFP to adjust your calories down with each ten pounds you have lost?

Do you count your cardio exercise burns? if so, where do you get the numbers from?

• DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training (heavy weights, body weight exercises, calisthenics)? When I hit a wall, I replaced the majority of my cardio with body weight exercises. I wasn't moving the scale as much but I (and my friends) we're seeing more results with inch loss.
    There was a poster on here that said cardio is basically just so you can eat more (still need some for heart and lung health though) and strength training will show the results.

I also agree with pp, reset your goals because at 60lbs down you need less calories. And a food scale is a little miracle machine! Measuring with spoons and cups is ok for the start but now you've lost 60lbs (amazing job!) and you'll have to get more precise with measurements. Example, I was logging my peanut butter as 1 tbsp, then I bought a scale and I was actually using close to 3 tbsp! I started to lose again after using the scale.

Good look, don't give up! Weight loss is simple but extremely hard!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    You're in homeostasis, so work on upping the INTENSITY of your workouts (less rest, more resistance, more challenging exercises) and being more concise on your intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a probiotic? That could help with the bloating, get you GI track functioning better. I've been in a plateau for a couple months also, but what's been keeping me motivated is keeping track of all my measurements, waist, hips, bust, etc.. Seeing those numbers moving is definitely letting me know the work I'm doing is not for nothing.

• carnivalnights
    Options
    Adjust your calories down. MFP is notorious for not auto adjusting appropriately.

My only concern with that is the accuracy. When I do that, it tells me I can eat 263g carbs/day. That seems obscene. Complex or not, that's a lot of carbs. When I saw a nutritionist last September, she had set my carbs at 150 (or 40%). I don't have a background in nutrition but I was losing weight just fine at 150 and would be quite scared to increase to 263!
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Hi @carnivalnights,

Congratulations on your weight loss! How much do you have left to lose?

A plateau is just another word for eating at maintenance. Some questions:

Do you weigh your food?

Have you allowed MFP to adjust your calories down with each ten pounds you have lost?

Do you count your cardio exercise burns? if so, where do you get the numbers from?

Thank you. :) I want to lose at least another 100lbs.

To answer your questions:

Yes, I weigh my food. I have a digital food scale that I use every day. And I use measuring spoons and cups as well for everything else. I've allowed MFP to adjust calories but I have some concerns about the marcos. As an example, when I typed in my stats and set it to lose 1lb/week, it recommended 263g carbs/day. When I saw a nutritionist last September, she had set my carbs at 150 (or 40%). I'm just scared to trust that. Shouldn't I be decreasing them...? Just odd.

Yes, I add my workouts via MFP but I know their calorie burns are off. I also have a FitBit and don't think they are very accurate either! But I have been using the numbers automated from MFP (which I assume is based on your stats/profile?). I never eat my workout calories back anyway, so it's not really a major concern if they exact/precise. I always stay under my macros/calories BEFORE adding in exercise.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    This is my incredibly generic advice when someone isn't losing. If you want more specific ideas, it might help to set your diary to public or answer some of the questions people will ask about your routine.

1. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

2. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

3. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

4. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

5. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

6. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

7. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

8. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Thank you so much for your detailed response! All awesome advice and I agree with everything you've said.

1. I log everything, including cooking oils and condiments. Even if I eat a handful of anything, I add that too. I am pretty strict with my logging!
    2. I use a digital food scale and also measuring cups and spoons. :) I think in the beginning that made a huge difference for me, so I've kept it up.
    3. I always try to choose the verified entries, and if there aren't any, I quickly compare them to those on the back of packaging (if there is any for things like oats or bars) or view other sources like FatSecret. It's not foolproof by any means, you're right! I am sure I have chosen off entries before. Most of what I eat is produce and meat though, pretty clean diet.
    4. I mentioned this to a couple others here, but I have concerns about how accurate MFP goals are. It tells me I can eat 263g carbs/day, but when I saw a nutritionist last September, she had set my carbs at 150 (or 40%). I don't have a background in nutrition so I cannot sit here saying that's wrong, but it seems really odd to be increasing my carbs by that amount when I am trying to lose (especially being that carbs are one of the things that contributing to my weight in the first place). Complex or not, that seems like a LOT. And frankly, I couldn't eat that many carbs while also staying within 1,200 calories. Haha. I just started at my new job so I can't go back to a nutritionist right now, but I'd really like a professional to recalculate my macros. Hopefully at some point in early 2016 I can see one again.
    5. Not eating back any of my exercise calories. Never have, never will! Partially because I know MFP overestimates the calories burns but also simply because I am serious about weight loss and it makes no sense to reward myself for exercising with food. ;)
    6. I don't have weekly cheat days necessarily but I cutting them out all together would probably be a good idea right now. I rarely eat out as it is but perhaps even one meal a week is too much right now.
    7. I've heard of that before but have yet to start using it. Thank you for the reminder!
    8. For sure, as mentioned in #4. I definitely want to see a nutritionist again and get my macros recalculated. I just don't trust MFP!

Thank you again!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically puts your carbs at 50%. If you want them to be 40% or less, just change it in the options.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your detailed response! All awesome advice and I agree with everything you've said.

1. I log everything, including cooking oils and condiments. Even if I eat a handful of anything, I add that too. I am pretty strict with my logging!

good

3. I use a digital food scale and also measuring cups and spoons. :) I think in the beginning that made a huge difference for me, so I've kept it up.

weigh everything - throw away the cups and spoons

5. I always try to choose the verified entries, and if there aren't any, I quickly compare them to those on the back of packaging (if there is any for things like oats or bars) or view other sources like FatSecret. It's not foolproof by any means, you're right! I am sure I have chosen off entries before. Most of what I eat is produce and meat though, pretty clean diet.

sounds good

7. I mentioned this to a couple others here, but I have concerns about how accurate MFP goals are. It tells me I can eat 263g carbs/day, but when I saw a nutritionist last September, she had set my carbs at 150 (or 40%). I don't have a background in nutrition so I cannot sit here saying that's wrong, but it seems really odd to be increasing my carbs by that amount when I am trying to lose (especially being that carbs are one of the things that contributing to my weight in the first place). Complex or not, that seems like a LOT. And frankly, I couldn't eat that many carbs while also staying within 1,200 calories. Haha. I just started at my new job so I can't go back to a nutritionist right now, but I'd really like a professional to recalculate my macros. Hopefully at some point in early 2016 I can see one again.

ignore carbs ...put your focus on protein and fats and try to achieve a minimum of 0.64g protein and 0.35g fats per lb bodyweight ...why are you only eating 1200 cals ...with 100lbs to lose that sounds low

9. Not eating back any of my exercise calories. Never have, never will! Partially because I know MFP overestimates the calories burns but also simply because I am serious about weight loss and it makes no sense to reward myself for exercising with food. ;)

so how do you fuel your body?

11. I don't have weekly cheat days necessarily but I cutting them out all together would probably be a good idea right now. I rarely eat out as it is but perhaps even one meal a week is too much right now.
    12. I've heard of that before but have yet to start using it. Thank you for the reminder!
    13. For sure, as mentioned in #4. I definitely want to see a nutritionist again and get my macros recalculated. I just don't trust MFP!

Thank you again!

open your diary for specific advise
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training (heavy weights, body weight exercises, calisthenics)? When I hit a wall, I replaced the majority of my cardio with body weight exercises. I wasn't moving the scale as much but I (and my friends) we're seeing more results with inch loss.
    There was a poster on here that said cardio is basically just so you can eat more (still need some for heart and lung health though) and strength training will show the results.

I also agree with pp, reset your goals because at 60lbs down you need less calories. And a food scale is a little miracle machine! Measuring with spoons and cups is ok for the start but now you've lost 60lbs (amazing job!) and you'll have to get more precise with measurements. Example, I was logging my peanut butter as 1 tbsp, then I bought a scale and I was actually using close to 3 tbsp! I started to lose again after using the scale.

Good look, don't give up! Weight loss is simple but extremely hard!

I do use weights and also resistance bands, but I am somewhat limited when it comes to body weight exercises (e.g. I cannot do much floor work at my current weight and high impact is not possible at the moment). I work out at home but I know there are probably other things I could be doing without equipment, I just need to find some things that are within my range. I think adding even more strength training into my workouts will be helpful though, so thank you for the tip.

Thanks for the compliment! I do use a food scale for most things (and cups/spoons for the rest). But of course, you do 'think' you can eyeball certain things so I should probably ensure I am using these things each and every time. I get a bit cocky with liquids sometimes. I cook almost all of my meals so it's something I can easily do - there's no excuse!

MFP's automatic goals kind of scare me, as I have mentioned to others here. But once I have been working for a while and my benefits kick in, I do plan to see a nutritionist again. I just wish in the meantime there was some free help from a professional! The carbs MFP is calculating seem obscene to me... they are twice what the nutritionist I saw last year said. It confuses me why I would want to eat MORE carbs (especially being that that's one of the main things that led to being overweight in the first place).
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're in homeostasis, so work on upping the INTENSITY of your workouts (less rest, more resistance, more challenging exercises) and being more concise on your intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks for your tip. I probably do need to do that. It's just a matter of finding some ideas and videos (I work out at home).
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Nnsando wrote: »
    Are you taking a probiotic? That could help with the bloating, get you GI track functioning better. I've been in a plateau for a couple months also, but what's been keeping me motivated is keeping track of all my measurements, waist, hips, bust, etc.. Seeing those numbers moving is definitely letting me know the work I'm doing is not for nothing.

That's something I never did even from the beginning (I don't know why, really), so you're probably right - it could be motivating to see those numbers if they are indeed changing and I just don't know it. I also don't take a probiotic so I will look into that. Thanks for your tips.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Go into your settings and reduce the carb % if you don't want to eat that many.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

good

3. I use a digital food scale and also measuring cups and spoons. :) I think in the beginning that made a huge difference for me, so I've kept it up.

weigh everything - throw away the cups and spoons

5. I always try to choose the verified entries, and if there aren't any, I quickly compare them to those on the back of packaging (if there is any for things like oats or bars) or view other sources like FatSecret. It's not foolproof by any means, you're right! I am sure I have chosen off entries before. Most of what I eat is produce and meat though, pretty clean diet.

sounds good

7. I mentioned this to a couple others here, but I have concerns about how accurate MFP goals are. It tells me I can eat 263g carbs/day, but when I saw a nutritionist last September, she had set my carbs at 150 (or 40%). I don't have a background in nutrition so I cannot sit here saying that's wrong, but it seems really odd to be increasing my carbs by that amount when I am trying to lose (especially being that carbs are one of the things that contributing to my weight in the first place). Complex or not, that seems like a LOT. And frankly, I couldn't eat that many carbs while also staying within 1,200 calories. Haha. I just started at my new job so I can't go back to a nutritionist right now, but I'd really like a professional to recalculate my macros. Hopefully at some point in early 2016 I can see one again.

ignore carbs ...put your focus on protein and fats and try to achieve a minimum of 0.64g protein and 0.35g fats per lb bodyweight ...why are you only eating 1200 cals ...with 100lbs to lose that sounds low

9. Not eating back any of my exercise calories. Never have, never will! Partially because I know MFP overestimates the calories burns but also simply because I am serious about weight loss and it makes no sense to reward myself for exercising with food. ;)

so how do you fuel your body?

11. I don't have weekly cheat days necessarily but I cutting them out all together would probably be a good idea right now. I rarely eat out as it is but perhaps even one meal a week is too much right now.
    12. I've heard of that before but have yet to start using it. Thank you for the reminder!
    13. For sure, as mentioned in #4. I definitely want to see a nutritionist again and get my macros recalculated. I just don't trust MFP!

Thank you again!

open your diary for specific advise

I agree 1,200 seems low. But when I used the MFP calculator to recalculate my goals (my measurements, lose 1lb a week, 4x60mins exercise), it suggests 1,200 calories. During my weight loss my calories were set to 1,400 (based on what the nutritionist said and how I tweaked them). On average, I eat around 1,300/day and don't feel like I'm starving. I maybe would on 1,200. I don't have a background in this though. All I know is that I lost the 60lbs by eating roughly 1,300/day and my carbs were at 150 (and I admit I am scared to just "ignore carbs" because I feel that's one of the main reasons I became overweight in the first place). I work best with restrictions. I'm disciplined. If someone gives me numbers and tells me to stay within those, I'm good. I just wish I had a professional to talk things over with me, but that's out of my range at the moment! The MFP numbers just don't seem right to me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Be careful relying in verified entries or the barcode scanner. They're just as prone to database error as all of the other user-entered options. Always double-check.
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Go into your settings and reduce the carb % if you don't want to eat that many.

Yes, done. Thank you. :)
  • carnivalnights
    Options
    Be careful relying in verified entries or the barcode scanner. They're just as prone to database error as all of the other user-entered options. Always double-check.

Do you have any sources for double checking? What do you do personally?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I always add USDA after anything I'm searching. "banana raw Usda " Which can be a little more accurate than the other generic entries. If in doubt, just go straight to the USDA website .