Mayo Clinic Grapefruit Diet

Options
Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 bacon & 1/2 grapefruit or 2oz grapefruit juice

Lunch: Any meat, any green or red vegetable & 1/2 grapefruit or 2oz grapefruit juice

Dinner: Any meat, any green or red vegetable & 1/2 grapefruit or 2oz grapefruit juice

This is a great diet for eating out and it works. I've lost plenty of weight on it before and am on it now.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No. Any diet will work in a calorie deficit.

Also-be careful with grapefruit if you are any prescription or OTC medication. It can change the way the medication is absorbed and be dangerous.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Just FYI this has nothing to do with the actual Mayo Clinic.

http://www.diet.com/g/mayo-clinic-diet-fad-diet

...Details are vague about how a grapefruit-based diet became known as the Mayo Clinic fad diet. Not even the Mayo Clinic knows how its name became associated with the popular diet, according to the medical facility’s web site. The Mayo Clinic fad diet is believed to date back to the 1930s, when it was known as the Hollywood diet.

...It may be that promoters of the high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet thought that using the Mayo Clinic’s name would lead dieters to believe that the food plan was medically sound. The Mayo Clinic disputes this label and refers to the fad weight-loss plan as a ‘‘diet myth.’’
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I love grapefruit, but I have lost over 60lbs just eating in a deficit and even eat out once in while.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    The reason I wouldn't do this is simple: What then?

You can lose weight on any of a huge number of diets, as long as you stick to them. So you lose the weight, then what? How has this taught you anything to use for maintaining that weight loss?

If you don't have a plan for maintenance, and just fall back into your pre-grapefruit habits, you'll just regain what you lost.

Calorie counting is a sustainable plan for not only weight loss, but weight maintenance as well, so the strategies you learn to adhere to this are useful for a lifetime.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I love grapefruit. It is one of the hundreds of foods I eat within my calorie level. No magic. Beware of any diet that you would be sick of after a couple of days. That would certainly include this.
  • lcthatsit
    lcthatsit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to remove the name mayo clinic from the title. Just know the diet, fad or not works & works well.
    It's basically a caloric controlled diet that increase vegetable intake.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Clearly it doesn't work that well if you were on it previously and have to go back on it.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    lcthatsit wrote: »
    You are welcome to remove the name mayo clinic from the title. Just know the diet, fad or not works & works well.

Any calorie controlled diet will work, I prefer to replace the word "grapefruit" with the word "chocolate" and log my intake, but that's just me.
  • lcthatsit
    lcthatsit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Once you are at the desired weight increase or decrease calories and exercise to maintain the desired weight.
    Anything you do is a diet, it doesn't matter if it's calorie counting, surgery or whatever, bottom line it's dieting.
    It's your choice which diet you choose, Fad or long term.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Once you are at the desired weight increase or decrease calories and exercise to maintain the desired weight.
    Anything you do is a diet, it doesn't matter if it's calorie counting, surgery or whatever, bottom line it's dieting.

Well what are the calories associated with this diet? You say it's calorie controlled, but nothing in your initial post supports this statement. The only portion size given was for the grapefruit. "Any meat" is also especially vague and could definitely contribute to weight gain, per this diet I could have a thick juicy ribeye twice a day since it says "any meat" and does not give portion sizes. If I were to eat in that manner I would certainly not lose weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You know what is is a calorie controlled diet that encourages vegetable intake and works well? Using MFP the way it was designed to determine an appropriate calorie deficit for yourself then eating a variety of nutrient dense foods including vegetables, grapefruit (and other fruits), eggs, bacon and other forms of protein, dairy, grains, healthy fats, and even cookies and pizza in moderation.

I know which one I would choose...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Just FYI this has nothing to do with the actual Mayo Clinic.

http://www.diet.com/g/mayo-clinic-diet-fad-diet

...Details are vague about how a grapefruit-based diet became known as the Mayo Clinic fad diet. Not even the Mayo Clinic knows how its name became associated with the popular diet, according to the medical facility’s web site. The Mayo Clinic fad diet is believed to date back to the 1930s, when it was known as the Hollywood diet.

...It may be that promoters of the high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet thought that using the Mayo Clinic’s name would lead dieters to believe that the food plan was medically sound. The Mayo Clinic disputes this label and refers to the fad weight-loss plan as a ‘‘diet myth.’’

This was what I was going to post as well.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    The reason I wouldn't do this is simple: What then?

You can lose weight on any of a huge number of diets, as long as you stick to them. So you lose the weight, then what? How has this taught you anything to use for maintaining that weight loss?

If you don't have a plan for maintenance, and just fall back into your pre-grapefruit habits, you'll just regain what you lost.

Calorie counting is a sustainable plan for not only weight loss, but weight maintenance as well, so the strategies you learn to adhere to this are useful for a lifetime.

Very well said.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you had to go back and do it again then it wasn't an effective diet.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Coley88 wrote: »
    Clearly it doesn't work that well if you were on it previously and have to go back on it.

<3
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 bacon & 1/2 grapefruit or 2oz grapefruit juice

Lunch: Any meat, any green or red vegetable & 1/2 grapefruit or 2oz grapefruit juice

Dinner: Any meat, any green or red vegetable & 1/2 grapefruit or 2oz grapefruit juice

This is a great diet for eating out and it works. I've lost plenty of weight on it before and am on it now.
    In other words, you're eating less calories than you were eating previously.
    And if you're on it now, what happened to staying on it before? If it's not sustainable for life, how do you plan to not regain weight unless you stay on it?

All diet plans work if people stick to them and the calories are correct. Truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If I substituted a orange for the grapefruit, will the results not be the same if the calorie intake still is?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Correction, surgery is NOT a diet. It's a physical procedure to reduce the stomach.
    Might want to get your information correct if you expect people to take your advice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    In my experience and opinion these kind of prescriptive diets are part easy rules and part punishment

Meat veg and a bit of fruit isn't a bad rule of thumb

But it is necessarily short term and most would be prone to put on weight when they stop because they haven't absorbed any lifestyle changes or changed their eating patterns

Grapefruit really isn't magical but if you like it ...good
    The lack of portions sizes and preparation guidelines means the calorie control is not that exact

But yes it could absolutely reduce your weight
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Grapefruit Diet

No thread on a Grapefruit Diet is complete without a little Weird Al.