"When Food Guilt is Ruining Your Life"

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
http://www.melissatoler.com/blog/food-guilt-is-running-your-life

Some excerpts:

"Women feel the need to confess and atone because we've been taught that eating certain foods or eating too much is sinful. You're a naughty girl if you eat from the list of forbidden foods. The belief that you should strive for dietary perfection is so ingrained that it feels natural to label the Oreos you just had AND yourself as BAD if you have one too many."

"When it comes to food, women are not supposed to have what we want. And if we do have it, we should only enjoy it in limited, society-approved quantities.

"We go back and forth between using food as reward or punishment...and there are some days when you can't even tell the difference between the two.

"And the cycle goes on and on.

"The constant trips to and from the confessional become exhausting, boring, and stop you from fully living your life. The belief that you have to do penance suggests that what you're doing is somehow WRONG.

"How does it feel to know that engaging in the simple, natural act of eating is WRONG? Pretty *kitten*, right?

"So, what's a girl to do when you feel like you need to atone for your indulging in the forbidden fruit?

1. Understand that food is neither good nor bad; it has no inherent moral value.

2. Change the conversation. When you find yourself around people who start confessing their chocolate chip cookie sins from the night before, listen (because people want to be heard), then respectfully decline to take another trip down this rabbit hole.

3. Write down at least 10 things that are good about you or that you love about yourself. This is a great practice for reminding yourself that what you eat is not a reflection of who you are as a person. Your self worth is not dictated by what's on your plate. Ever.

"There is no such thing as dietary perfection. This is why you haven't been able to achieve it."

==

Hope this helps someone.

I'll add this pic I also found today which I think sums up a good attitude to food.

Eating%20Right_zps4gbrqnjd.png

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This has seriously troubled me in the past, so thanks. o:)
  • Orphia
    Options
    I'm glad you like it.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This really struck a chord with me. Good fuel for thought as we start a new year of relating to food and emotional health. Thanks.
  • Kindness_is_gangster
    Options
    Lovely post :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

Timely post @Orphia, love the pic you included.

So glad I never grew up with good and bad food and guilt- it sounds draining.

Cheers, h.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sticky.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The graphic would be better if it said the "other" should generally be no more than 10-20% of your calories instead of "have some of these".
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I do believe many women have an unhealthy relationship with food. Feeling guilt about eating certain things seems to lead to more binge eating, or worse, purging.
    My body definitely feels better or worse depending how I fuel it, and I think that too plays a part in feeling "bad" after eating a large quantity of sugary or fried foods. It's difficult to separate the physical feelings from the emotional.
  • speedygonzales32
    speedygonzales32 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Great post, Orph!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    The graphic would be better if it said the "other" should generally be no more than 10-20% of your calories instead of "have some of these".

Right. Some.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people in here, and every other forum where food and eating is discussed, "confessing" daily. Especially women aren't really entitled to enjoyment. At least not one they freely can administer themselves.

We might think we are getting less religious, but we have just shifted focus from sex to food. "Eating clean" is another bizarre "morality disguised as health" thing.

I might regret eating something or too much of it, even feel weak, but I don't feel guilty. Either I'm lucky, or I'm just not a real woman.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I see lots of people in here, and every other forum where food and eating is discussed, "confessing" daily. Especially women aren't really entitled to enjoyment. At least not one they freely can administer themselves.

We might think we are getting less religious, but we have just shifted focus from sex to food. "Eating clean" is another bizarre "morality disguised as health" thing.

I might regret eating something or too much of it, even feel weak, but I don't feel guilty. Either I'm lucky, or I'm just not a real woman.

Well said.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Let's just bump this.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    That graphic is fantastic. Great post and thanks for bumping. I missed it the first time around.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

On a graphic supporting a balanced diet, yes. On a graphic supporting the idea that if you eat more than the 'approved' amount of some food that is 'bad' for you, you should not feel guilty or ashamed about it - no.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel like maybe I'm not a woman. Or that I should call my mom and thank her for teaching me common sense.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I suffer from feeling the need to deserve food but I am an extreme type person. If I am not following "the rules" then I feel out of control. I do not enjoy indulgences as I regret them and cannot just eat in moderation.

How does one find it in them to be able to eat freely without needing to be a fitness site in which they log their food to hold themselves accountable?
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Eating can be one of the joys of life. I choose what I want to eat based on how I am feeling and what I want to eat at the time. By choice I limit, or try to, the high calorie foods because I want to be a more healthy me. But if I want to have a Milky Way, I will eat it and enjoy it. The same goes with other so called "forbidden" foods. I am losing weight, slowly, at times slower than I would like; but, that said, I am not going to stop eating all foods that I enjoy just because someone says they are "bad". Those of you who wish to become martyrs and have a "holier-than-thou" attitude about foods can continue in your own judgmental ways. I, for one will not feel guilty if I chose to indulge in some of the finer things in life--and continue to lose weight at the same time!