Constipated and Gaining

Options
Week one is completed on my diet. I have stuck to my calorie goal and exercised properly , yet I am constipated and gaining weight .

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fiber, drinking plenty of water and getting enough healthy fats?
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I suffer terribly with constipation due to ibs. Once you have a good clear out you'll see the needle on the scale move.
    Oops didn't mean to post already! Also wanted to say, have you tried increasing fibre, flax seed, prunes? That kind of thing. Plus drinking more water
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I get ibs too. Try to eat enough fat which will help to prevent it. If i do get constipated i take a stool softener called dulcoease which is very gentle. In extreame cases i take a laxative called dulcolax which is stronger and causes me painful cramps - but gets the job done. I prefer not to take it though if i can help it
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    Are you eating enough fiber, drinking plenty of water and getting enough healthy fats?

This!

I have found that certain foods help move things along too. For me, it is nuts or raw carrots.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    It's very common for your digestive process to get way out of wack when you first start changing the way you eat. Normally, it will right itself in a few weeks. In the mean time you can increase fiber and water (don't increase fiber without drinking enough water, it will make the situation much worse), exercise can help stimulate the process, or you can take a good probiotic. My doctor recommended Align and it has done wonders for me.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I get ibs too. Try to eat enough fat which will help to prevent it. If i do get constipated i take a stool softener called dulcoease which is very gentle. In extreame cases i take a laxative called dulcolax which is stronger and causes me painful cramps - but gets the job done. I prefer not to take it though if i can help it

Omg dulcolas is eviiiil lol lactulose is ok and syrup of figs. More softening than stimulating than Senna etc which is better for peeps with ibs
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »

Omg dulcolas is eviiiil lol lactulose is ok and syrup of figs. More softening than stimulating than Senna etc which is better for peeps with ibs

People should be very careful taking dulcolax. I was on a med that caused constipation and my doc told me to take it every day....yeah, I stopped it. I got to the point that I couldn't use the bathroom without it. Thankfully, the med causing the constipation wasn't absolutely necessary so I came off of it and managed my condition with lifestyle changes.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You should open your diary. If you are drinking protein shakes you need to up your water intake. Fiber should be 25 grams a day.
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Water, water, and more water. This happens to me when i get dehydrated.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Metamucil, and try taking turmeric and Ginger capsules that will naturally help with internal inflammation.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The gain is from all the bulk you are storing from constipation. Your gut just fills up.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have IbS constipation, medamucil - stuff me more to much fiber, mirlax - gas, cramps and very lose and hard back and forth. water up 8 - fiber up 20 but still having issues - milk of magnisia every other day.. per doctor. duclax if that doesn't help. lately not well on water working harder on that.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing when I switched to a food program. 2 kiwi fruit a day did the trick.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you increased fiber too much at a time, that may be why. Are you tracking it? Increase slowly. I now aim for 35g or more, but started with 15g and added 5g or so per day as long as no symptoms.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    MrsJBro wrote: »
    Water, water, and more water. This happens to me when i get dehydrated.

Same here! It's always a sign that I haven't drank enough fluids. A lot of times if I drink about two cups of water before eating in the morning, I will usually get the urge to go.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Water
    Adequate fats
    Fibre
    Exercise
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    briggsykim wrote: »
    Week one is completed on my diet. I have stuck to my calorie goal and exercised properly , yet I am constipated and gaining weight .

If you're constipated, you may not actually be gaining weight...
    You may just be full of poo...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Sort of this,, yes it is normal to retanl about 5 - 6 ounces of poo from the days meals before before the body eliminates so if you have 3 - 5 days worth it could be a pound or more.

You just need to get things moving again. Have you asked your pharmacist for possibly an over counter remedy that may help with getting it moving.. I would not dare say what I would do for a remedy (LOL) but if it gets to where you are backed up 5 days or more, you have to see a doctor.

I hate to say this, but a good cup of caffienated coffee and some exercise and water in the morning do the trick for me.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Sort of this,, yes it is normal to retanl about 5 - 6 ounces of poo from the days meals before before the body eliminates so if you have 3 - 5 days worth it could be a pound or more.

You just need to get things moving again. Have you asked your pharmacist for possibly an over counter remedy that may help with getting it moving.. I would not dare say what I would do for a remedy (LOL) but if it gets to where you are backed up 5 days or more, you have to see a doctor.

I hate to say this, but a good cup of caffienated coffee and some exercise and water in the morning do the trick for me.

Don't hate to say that. Coffee and exercise are awesome, singularly or together. Water too. :)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Try a sweet potato smoothie. Boil your sweet potato to soft throw in blender with a half Apple and tsp turmeric. I add greens.

Or sweet potatoes with a fat like butter or olive oil ( I read this is the best way to activate the antioxidants and aminos in the sweet potato)

This is my new bloat/ constipation go to. It works very well and comfortable.