Egg Question

Options
2»

Replies

• heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well there was that incident during the Reformation period in Europe, where people were eating rotten potatoes, but that's a whole 'nuther story. :wink: :laugh:

Hahaha, yeah ^^ I wouldn't wanna eat a rotten egg either :wink:
  • brminor
    brminor Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I simply just don't like the yolk. I always throw mine out. It may sound wasteful but I am not going to eat something that I don't like. The egg whites are good by themself to me, with a little pepper of course! :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well there was that incident during the Reformation period in Europe, where people were eating rotten potatoes, but that's a whole 'nuther story. :wink: :laugh:

Hahaha, yeah ^^ I wouldn't wanna eat a rotten egg either :wink:

Rotten eggs are definitely worse. At least you get a decent hallucination with rotten potatoes, or so they say. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I simply just don't like the yolk. I always throw mine out. It may sound wasteful but I am not going to eat something that I don't like. The egg whites are good by themself to me, with a little pepper of course! :)

That's fair enough. I don't eat things that I don't like either.

It just seems like I kept seeing the comments over and over and I'm like, WHY? The HELL? :tongue:
  • lucullus
    Options
    Egg whites are a high quality protein and the yolk is the "fatty" part. A yolk or two a day is beneficial and not harmful to most people (some people with heart disease are told to avoid yolks by their doctors and should follow their doctor's advice). Most of us should take advantage of the GOOD stuff that comes with the fat of the yolk. Sometimes I will have 2 egg whites but only 1 yolk in my scrambled egg mix. Usually I have only 1 egg at a time and I enjoy the yolk! I hope this helps! (:
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    its the part with the fat... thats why people dont eat it...
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing. I see no reason to avoid the yummy yolk. I don't throwout half my egg, but I also buy the carton whites so that I can make a bigger omelette without using so many eggs. It's more for keeping the calories low for me.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Why do some people only eat half their egg? I keep seeing comment after comment about eating just egg whites. Why wouldn't people eat the yolk too, when that's where most of the nutrients are? Is there a dietary reason that I am missing, or just a taste preference?

I can think of a few reasons. I don't necessarily agree with them/practice them myself:

1) Protein/calorie ratio
    2) Food volume (you could make a pretty good sized meal with egg whites and just 1 yolk or two).
    3) Cholesterol fears as pointed out above.

Personally, I eat the yolk. It's good for you.

I had forgotten about the cholesterol thing. It is interesting that people still believe that hooey.

As for 1&2, I'm just smh. I guess if that works for them. :noway:

For people with high cholesterol and/or heart problems it's not hooey. 1 egg yolk contains almost a day's worth of dietary cholesterol so for people who are trying to lower their LDL it's pretty important.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Egg whites are a high quality protein and the yolk is the "fatty" part. A yolk or two a day is beneficial and not harmful to most people (some people with heart disease are told to avoid yolks by their doctors and should follow their doctor's advice). Most of us should take advantage of the GOOD stuff that comes with the fat of the yolk. Sometimes I will have 2 egg whites but only 1 yolk in my scrambled egg mix. Usually I have only 1 egg at a time and I enjoy the yolk! I hope this helps! (:

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

If I am eating eggs, they are usually scrambled or in an omlette and I eat two. I am not a huge egg fan, but they are ok every now and then. On the weekends, sometimes I like to make a big omlette with three eggs and cheese and whatever veggies I can find to toss in. (usually mushrooms)
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For me, it's usually just a calorie thing (maybe I should, but I have NO concerns about the cholesterol or the fat at this point). I can just eat more egg whites...about 17 calories each...than whole eggs..about 70 calories each and it fit's into my daily goal better. That's it. Oh, and if it's a boiled egg, I don't really like the taste of the yolk when It's hard boiled.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    i eat the yolks unless its a boiled egg and then its mostly just because i dont like the texture unless they just came off the stove top ugh i like over easy mixed into a bowl of grits or using toast to dunk or scrambled with cheese in it got to get the dairy in somewhere
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. More food/protein, less calories. Since one whole egg is 70 calories and one egg white is 17 calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Why do some people only eat half their egg? I keep seeing comment after comment about eating just egg whites. Why wouldn't people eat the yolk too, when that's where most of the nutrients are? Is there a dietary reason that I am missing, or just a taste preference?

I can think of a few reasons. I don't necessarily agree with them/practice them myself:

1) Protein/calorie ratio
    2) Food volume (you could make a pretty good sized meal with egg whites and just 1 yolk or two).

I had forgotten about the cholesterol thing. It is interesting that people still believe that hooey.

For people with high cholesterol and/or heart problems it's not hooey. 1 egg yolk contains almost a day's worth of dietary cholesterol so for people who are trying to lower their LDL it's pretty important.

You missed DeadVim's post:
    Dietary cholesterol does not raise blood serum cholesterol and 'high' blood serum cholesterol is not a good predictor for health issues anyway.

In fact, 'low' blood serum cholesterol can be seen to be as a risk factor for some diseases.

Or type "egg cholesterol" into a Google scholar search and read the studies for yourself. I can't believe there are still doctors out there telling people that eggs raise your cholesterol. Like I said before, I had forgotten all about that when it came out. If you are worried about your cholesterol levels, eliminate trans-fat and watch your saturated fats.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/egg-nutrition
    http://www.naturalnews.com/025995_cholesterol_eggs_eating.html
    http://www.healthiertalk.com/go-ahead-and-eat-yolk-0579
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    I don’t because it makes since to me to leave out even small amounts of saturated fat and extra calories if is easy and there is egg whites sold separately now so nothing is thrown away.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options

1) Protein/calorie ratio

Dietary Cholesterol has little to no impact on blood serum cholesterol. There is no reason you need to be scared of an egg yolk even if you have high cholesterol numbers. My doctor has not warned me off of them nor has the nutritionist because they have actually kept up with the scientific community on this issue. In fact, I eat MORE eggs now and my numbers are getting better!
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    For me, if I make a hard-boiled egg I won't eat the yolk because I don't like the dry consistency it has. I'll just eat the white and give the yolk to my mom. If I cook the egg any other way I'll usually eat the yolk. I'm sure there is some nutritional or medical reason others don't eat the yolk, but it's just taste preference for me.
  • tiggus
    tiggus Posts: 2
    Options
    As pointed out the old cholesterol myth is a big reason, the other one is calories.

I've eaten just whites when I wanted to spend my calories on tastier alternatives. As someone pointed out you can buy cartons of just egg whites now so it is not wasteful, you can be sure the company selling those is using the yolks for some other product.

Right now I am on a keto diet and so eating lots of whole eggs, just depends what your goal is and how it fits into your diet.