Egg Question

Options
WendyTerry420
WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
Why do some people only eat half their egg? I keep seeing comment after comment about eating just egg whites. Why wouldn't people eat the yolk too, when that's where most of the nutrients are? Is there a dietary reason that I am missing, or just a taste preference?

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I don't like yolk. It's salty and gross :sick: Sometimes, if I make something and have 4+ egg whites, I might add one with a yolk.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I find it a bit silly really. The yolk is so full of things that are good for you, but some people are afraid of the cholesterol. But the cholesterol you get from eggs are the good kind, so no need to stay away unless there's some medical condition involved of course.

To be honest I think it's a bit hysterical, and seems like people are taking their advice from old research. 10-15 years back doctors though eggs/yolks were bad for you, but that has been proven wrong so many times.

Oh, and one more reason I can think of. Some people might not like the taste, and that's alright. You shouldn't eat stuff you don't like :)
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. It's mainly the cholesterol fears from the 90's, but the yolk has tons of vitamins and fatty-acids. I say no egg whites! LOL!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Why do some people only eat half their egg? I keep seeing comment after comment about eating just egg whites. Why wouldn't people eat the yolk too, when that's where most of the nutrients are? Is there a dietary reason that I am missing, or just a taste preference?

I can think of a few reasons. I don't necessarily agree with them/practice them myself:

1) Protein/calorie ratio
    2) Food volume (you could make a pretty good sized meal with egg whites and just 1 yolk or two).
    3) Cholesterol fears as pointed out above.

Personally, I eat the yolk. It's good for you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. It's mainly the cholesterol fears from the 90's, but the yolk has tons of vitamins and fatty-acids. I say no egg whites! LOL!

And it's so wasteful not to.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that eats the whole thing! :drinker:

If they are hard-boiled though, I only eat the yolk because the whites are slimy. :tongue:
  • manda_rae_k
    Options
    I love egg yolks. I simply couldn't just toss it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Wasteful to be sure! When I used to make meringue for pies, I would put the yolks in a plastic bag and cook them later. I hate to waste food. It's too expensive. :wink:
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Eggs have a bad rap. That's all. They really are healthy for you and it's no longer suggested to just eat the whites. They are packed full of vitamins and protein.

Every few years eggs go from bad to good and back and forth. People have been eating eggs for a long time and I have yet to see any massive plague type illness break out and kill off the planet. lol.

I eat one or two a day. Lately I have been adding spinach and making little muffins with them. I'm going to do some more this week. It stretches them out for more servings and I'm finding it a good way to sneak other healthy things in I normally wouldn't eat. I do buy cage free eggs and am lucky enough to know people with chickens I get them from too.

I also give my dogs an egg every day. lol.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options

Wasteful to be sure! When I used to make meringue for pies, I would put the yolks in a plastic bag and cook them later. I hate to waste food. It's too expensive. :wink:

I agree. I'm not wasting anything at all.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Nature is not out to kill us, the yolk is where the good stuff is.

Dietary cholesterol does not raise blood serum cholesterol and 'high' blood serum cholesterol is not a good predictor for health issues anyway.

In fact, 'low' blood serum cholesterol can be seen to be as a risk factor for some diseases.

<Egg marketing board message ends>

If you don't like the taste that's OK too, send the yolks to me. The brighter the yellow the better, yummy :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I can think of a few reasons. I don't necessarily agree with them/practice them myself:

1) Protein/calorie ratio
    2) Food volume (you could make a pretty good sized meal with egg whites and just 1 yolk or two).
    3) Cholesterol fears as pointed out above.

Personally, I eat the yolk. It's good for you.

I had forgotten about the cholesterol thing. It is interesting that people still believe that hooey.

As for 1&2, I'm just smh. I guess if that works for them. :noway:
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Every few years eggs go from bad to good and back and forth. People have been eating eggs for a long time and I have yet to see any massive plague type illness break out and kill off the planet. lol.
    Just like potatoes :P
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    Protein calorie ratio is the reason I'll go three egg whites and one yolk.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Nature is not out to kill us, the yolk is where the good stuff is.

Dietary cholesterol does not raise blood serum cholesterol and 'high' blood serum cholesterol is not a good predictor for health issues anyway.

In fact, 'low' blood serum cholesterol can be seen to be as a risk factor for some diseases.

<Egg marketing board message ends>

If you don't like the taste that's OK too, send the yolks to me. The brighter the yellow the better, yummy :)

Hey, we should set up a yolk collection facility! :laugh: Love them yolks! Especially with a little mustard and paprika! :bigsmile:
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    There is a lot of fat and cholesterol in the yolk. Egg whites are pure protien.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love egg yolks. Once I cracked an egg and TWO yolks popped out. Double prizes!!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

It's both. Some people don't like yolks. Some people cut out the yolks because they have more calories than the white. I eat the whole egg, because the nutrients in the yolk are necessary to properly process the protein in the white and I don't like the tast of the white without yolk. However, if I'm looking for quantity, sometimes I use a blend of whole eggs and egg whites while making an omelet, so I can get more volume for fewer calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I love egg yolks. Once I cracked an egg and TWO yolks popped out. Double prizes!!

Bonus! :love:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Just like potatoes :P

Well there was that incident during the Reformation period in Europe, where people were eating rotten potatoes, but that's a whole 'nuther story. :wink: :laugh: