Brittle Nails, fatigued, dry hair, vegetarian. Plssss help

Options
I became veggie over the new year but have noticed my attention span and energy has significantly decreased. In addition to this, my nails are extremely brittle and my hair is dry and wirey. I asked in Holland and Barrett where they told me to increase my protein intake but I've struggled. Does anyone have any way of bumping up their protein intake while also wanting to lose weight? I can't get any bigger but I can't stay as fatigued as I currently am. Oh and before anyone suggests, I'm not considering going back to eating meat! I'm leaning more towards veganism.

Replies

• msanitaml
    msanitaml Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can get s ton of protein with out meat but you need to bump it up fish chicken tofu I know you said vegan but before you do really talk to professional for guidance Also take biotin its s supplement for hair and nails you will love it
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Get Biotin to strengthen hair and nails.
    Get a protein powder to fit your needs - vega one is a good option.
    You can add more beans, lentils, tofu, edamame into your diet if you aren't doing so already.

Good luck
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Take a multi-vitamin.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Add some healthy fats too like avocado and coconut oil. Cooking eggs in is a healthy way to get protein and fat. Too little fat will make you hair and skin very dry and brittle
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Maybe go to your dr to get a check up on your vitamins to see if you are low in any of them. Hopefully you are eating more then 500-600 calories. Being a vegetarian or a vegan is awesome, but it can take a lot of planning and knowledge. Multivitamin wouldn't hurt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I wasn't reaching 1,200 calories a day. You really cannot do without enough protein. Every. Single. Day. Vitamin B12 and iron if you are low will also help.

It will take a few months for the nails to recover, as you are seeing the effects of about a month of under-eating. Nails take some time to grow.

If I were you I'd get some Vega One as someone suggested above and those days you don't make your minimum protein target, finish off your day with a shake. Every. Single. Day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    While I waited for my nails to recover, I got Nail and Cuticle oil (Vitamin E) and rubbed that in to my nails and cuticles once a week. It's probably only cosmetic, but it made me feel better. I had to be vigilant and cut my nails shorter so they wouldn't snap off. You may also have to go to a shorter hair cut for your dry and brittle hair until it recovers.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Sounds like B12 and/or iron deficiency, but I'm not a doctor, so it's probably wise to get some bloodwork done and talk to your doctor. To increase protein, grab a tub of vegetarian protein powder. I know Vega makes a vegan one.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    801 105 26 40 338 52 <-- That's the problem. Your protein is too low. Check your Reports for nutrition and see if you have glaring deficiencies on anything else. You do. Find them. You have veg resources for everything lacking.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    More eggs, tofu, edamame, chic peas, lentils, peanut butter, milk.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If you're deficient in b12 that will cause the attention span problem you mention. If it's bad a uk gp can arrange a quarterly booster shot. Other than that the hair and nail problem sounds like combination of protein shortage and generally not eating enough.
  • theslimmingstoner
    theslimmingstoner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I first became a vegetarian (almost 7 years ago) I had very low iron. I was always tired, bruised like an apple, and lacked certain nutrients because I had not researched meat alternatives. Now I try to include beans/soy products, tofu (which to be honest I hate but I try to hide it in my food as much as possible), and I eat a lot of fake meats like veggie burgers or veggie dogs. The ones I buy are a product called St Yves and they are very high in protein and pretty low calories also.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would actually be looking at your iron intake and asking for a blood test from the doctor, as symptoms of anaemia could be what you have.

An important thing to know when you go vegetarian is that you can still get protein from plant sources, but your body cannot get iron from non-meat sources without a high intake of vitamin C at that same moment. So I would make sure, for example, when you eat eggs or spinach or green leafy vegetables, you have a glass of orange juice or something citrus at the same time.

You could also drink a glass of orange juice at the same time as taking an iron supplement.

What I do is make smoothies with spinach, oranges, raspberries and spirulina in, that way I get protein and my body can absorb iron.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Eat variety. Try eggs? Salmon? Tofu? Please take action , your teeth are suffering too even if the damage cannot be seen now. Years later they will cause pain and problems. Trust me it happened to me after years of dieting wrong and skipping food groups.