Brittle Nails, fatigued, dry hair, vegetarian. Plssss help

Options
13»

Replies

• scotchmalloh
    scotchmalloh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I would like to say that I'm not starving myself, I eat enough to satisfy my needs and only feel hunger around meal times which is then satisfied. My issue is with protein as I do believe I'm not eating enough which is making my nails brittle as a consequence. I've suffered low iron for around two years now as identified when I've been to give blood but this has been fluctuating over time. I personally don't like dairy as I suffer bloating and sickness afterwards. I mean, the question was purely concerning nails, skin and hair not concerning the amount I'm eating. I wouldn't even know what to add to my diet to satisfy you all, apart from eating bread or snacking more?

Bodies tend to do a weird thing when you underfeed them. Initially, yes you'll be very hungry...and then not so much. Your stomach may feel as though it has "shrunk". You will get fuller quickly and get less hungry in general. You may think this is a GOOD thing as you are able to eat less without having to suffer, but in reality the exact opposite is happening. You may not feel the suffering, but your organs are experiencing it. You feel less hungry and satisfied with the little amount you are eating because undereating temporarily lowers the metabolism (which CAN be raised back up to normal by increasing your intake). A lowered metabolism means you actually lose weight slower than you should be. In fact, you could probably get the same results you are getting now eating 500+ calories more per day, because your metabolism would speed back up in response.

If you have low iron, that's not a joke. You can end up needing a transfusion. You should consider taking iron supplements, but check with a doctor first to make sure you take the correct amount (too little and too much are both dangerous).

The question is purely concerning nails, skin, and hair and not the amount you are eating....? What you are eating DIRECTLY effects your nails, skin, and hair. If you don't eat enough, your metabolism slows and your body is trying to live off the little calories it is getting. That means your body has only enough energy to keep the important functions going and things like nails and hair get pushed to the sidelines. Keeping your heart pumping is far more important than growing healthy nails and hair and keeping your skin looking/feeling nice.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting enough calories and protein. I was experiencing the same problems you are. I added peanut butter on apples or the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, I toast it, almonds, protein bars ( I looked for ones with the lowest sugar), and smoothies made from unsweetened almond milk, Pure protein powder (vanilla flavored), and ice, sometimes I add fruit. I wanted options that I didn't have to spend much time on, my kids are grown so I don't cook as much anymore, my husband and I usually just eat salad. It has made a big difference, my hair isn't falling out anymore and my skin and nails look better too, I am not as tired and distracted as I was either. I still struggle with getting enough calories a day, but I am feeling better. Good luck to you!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that some people with similar experiences have chimed in. Successful vegetarians have done their homework. With care and attention and supplementation, it is possible to meet your nutrient needs. B-12 deficiency is serious business. I hope you come back OP... we are trying to help you.

http://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets/
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm glad that some people with similar experiences have chimed in. Successful vegetarians have done their homework. With care and attention and supplementation, it is possible to meet your nutrient needs. B-12 deficiency is serious business. I hope you come back OP... we are trying to help you.

http://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets/

I just want to point out that supplementation is entirely unnecessary outside of food, but it does take education and planning. I've been vegan for over a decade and the only deficiency I have is D, which is not always food related, since the best source of D is sunlight at certain angles. I just happen to live in a place where D from sunlight is difficult to get, plus I work indoors during daylight hours.

B-12 is serious business, but can easily be gotten from fortified foods, similar to D, A, and calcium for everyone else.

Most people get at least a percentage of certain vitamins and minerals from fortified foods, and not from fresh, whole foods, omnivores included, and there's nothing wrong with that.

*Edited to correct a typo.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting other things checked out as far as medically goes, A wonky thyroid/hormones can cause those issues too so get that stuff checked out as well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I became veggie over the new year but have noticed my attention span and energy has significantly decreased. In addition to this, my nails are extremely brittle and my hair is dry and wirey. I asked in Holland and Barrett where they told me to increase my protein intake but I've struggled. Does anyone have any way of bumping up their protein intake while also wanting to lose weight? I can't get any bigger but I can't stay as fatigued as I currently am. Oh and before anyone suggests, I'm not considering going back to eating meat! I'm leaning more towards veganism.

It may be a lack of fat, but it also may be a coincidence. If you're getting the proper nutrients and still having those issues, you need blood work. Those are all symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I just want to point out that supplementation is entirely unnecessary outside of food, but it does take education and planning. I've been vegan for over a decade and the only deficiency I have is D, which is not always food related, since the best source of D is sunlight at certain angles. I just happen to live in a place where D from sunlight is difficult to get, plus I work indoors during daylight hours.

B-12 is serious business, but can easily be gotten from fortified foods, similar to D, A, and calcium for everyone else.

Most people get at least a percentage of certain vitamins and minerals from fortified foods, and not from fresh, whole foods, omnivores included, and there's nothing wrong with that.

*Edited to correct a typo.

Excellent point -- I don't consider using supplements or fortified foods to be a "failure." It's a daily part of life for many people, including many, many non-vegans. I took supplements/ate fortified food as a non-vegan, I do it as a vegan.

The important part for everyone is knowing what their diet may be missing so they can plan appropriately. Do vegans have some special things to look out for? Absolutely. But other populations also have things to look out for.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And now I've looked at your diary -- your fat, protein and calories are WAY too low. Eat. You aren't doing vegetarianism correctly. And make sure you're taking B12 supplements and getting enough iron.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP I suggest seeking help.

Good luck.
  • call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have had a very similar thing - I'm also vegetarian (but have been for 18 years!) and have found that my nails haven't been that great and I do tend to shed a lot of hair when I wash it! I was eating almost vegan as my daughter went vegan last year.

I signed up for MFP to help track the amount of protein I'm eating and have been making a conscious effort to eat more of it. I've started adding in cottage cheese to my diet and started eating more egg which is helping with the protein intake. But generally I'm finding I'm eating more, it's been hard as my body isn't used to eating so much! Often I'd not feel that hungry and then just eat a small meal. Exercising more is also helping stimulate my appetite - do you exercise much?

Its easy to get into a habit of eating very little (believe me I've been there for years) but just try adding more into your diet and see how it makes you feel.

I can't say if its having an effect on my body shape just yet, but I have noticed I'm sleeping a bit better and when I washed my hair after swimming today I didn't shed as much hair (might be just wishful thinking as its only been a week and a half since I started focusing on adding more protein into my diet).

Little things I've found have helped up the protein:
    eating small bags of peanuts / cashews (I bought a big bag and portioned it up into little ziplock bags of 5g protein portions), easy to have on you to snack on
    hemp protein powder in smoothies (I use banana, strawberries, soya yoghurt, hemp powder and a bit of apple juice)
    eating more egg
    adding cottage cheese to meals
    making sure any bread is seeded (i generally now have wholemeal seeded bread)
    eat more quinoa (homemade quinoa tabbouleh with feta is yummy!)
    quorn picnic eggs for a quick snack!

I'm not sure exactly how it works with you viewing my diary or if you think that might help, but feel free to add me and try if you think it would be useful - my aim is just upping protein and improving my general health, no weight to lose, if anything can add a bit healthily :)
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You have many signs of malnutrition. Protein isn't your only problem. You are simply not eating enough. Doesn't matter if you are not hungry. Eat more - at the very least 1200! Nothing else will fix issues that concern you. However biggest issue you have is an attitude issue obviously. People here are giving you good advice. If you decide to ignore it don't be surprised if worse symptoms of malnutrition occur such as heart problems, decreased liver function, kidney failure, decreased lung capacity, intestinal problems, stomach irregularities and abnormal menstrual cycles. And you know...ultimately death.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options

I agree that there is nothing wrong with supplements or with eating fortified foods. They both achieve the same thing (supplementing your diet), as long as you are choosing quality goods. That being said, whether or not one needs to supplement is not so cut and dry. It is a debated subject and the article I linked to explains the possible shortcomings for several key nutrients, which are an issue even with the most educated vegans/vegetarians. For example,
    • A common myth amongst vegetarians and vegans is that it’s possible to get B12 from plant sources like seaweed, fermented soy, spirulina and brewers yeast. But plant foods said to contain B12 actually contain B12 analogs called cobamides that block the intake of, and increase the need for, true B12. (4) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10552882

I am glad that your diet works for you, but I hope that the supplementation debate can be taken to another thread. My comment was not intended for the educated vegans. It was for OP, who just decided to go vegetarian and is suffering from severe nutritional deficiencies, which she should quickly address. Until she becomes educated, she needs to supplement, at least with protein powder and B-12. Entirely necessary.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I agree that there is nothing wrong with supplements or with eating fortified foods. They both achieve the same thing (supplementing your diet), as long as you are choosing quality goods. That being said, whether or not one needs to supplement is not so cut and dry. It is a debated subject and the article I linked to explains the possible shortcomings for several key nutrients, which are an issue even with the most educated vegans/vegetarians. For example,
    • A common myth amongst vegetarians and vegans is that it’s possible to get B12 from plant sources like seaweed, fermented soy, spirulina and brewers yeast. But plant foods said to contain B12 actually contain B12 analogs called cobamides that block the intake of, and increase the need for, true B12. (4) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10552882

I am glad that your diet works for you, but I hope that the supplementation debate can be taken to another thread. My comment was not intended for the educated vegans. It was for OP, who just decided to go vegetarian and is suffering from severe nutritional deficiencies, which she should quickly address. Until she becomes educated, she needs to supplement, at least with protein powder and B-12. Entirely necessary.

If you have an interest in the subject, I suggest you check out Veganhealth.org, which explains really well why relying on B12 analogs is dangerous. It's a science-based site for vegans, one that presents a more accurate picture of vegan health than the anti-vegan essay you posted above.

• CorneliusPhoton
    edited April 2016
    Options
    anti-vegan essay

lol, I never thought of it as anti-vegan. Sorry it hit a nerve.