Don't let the "Biggest Loser" article be an excuse

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
It's been circulating in the media and on the boards here, but realize something. CICO works and what happened to contestants on the BL as far as metabolic rate reduction likely has more to do with how fast they lost weight, regained and hormonal dysfunction.
Like someone who inundates their bodies with PED's, the bodies "normal" functioning hormones may be deterred from functionally correctly due to the extremes they put their bodies through.
The BL contestants were demanded to workout out daily for up to 6 hours a day and eating on a calorie deficit in extremes as well as regular bouts of dehydration and starving techniques to try to beat weigh ins. Not to mention the stress levels they had endured every week from TV exposure and competition on a national level. Discontinuing that program, then expect results to definitely change.
If anyone understands physiology, this isn't NORMAL for the human body and there SHOULD BE a hormonal response in reaction. They didn't mention in the article about test and HGH levels before and after and those 2 alone are a big factor in how metabolic rate runs as well as how fat loss metabolism is affected. I'd also like to know how their insulin levels responded to possibly very low carb intakes for long periods of time being an obese person.
Anyway, if your approach is MODERATE (1% loss of your bodyweight a week), there shouldn't be any reason why if you reach goal, that you can't maintain it if your diligent in your calorie intake and still involve a decent physical activity program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Amen.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    All this.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm already so sick of seeing that article. Because of CICO I lost weight, kept it off, and I was still able to eat pizza and French fries.

Liar :wink:
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It seems that a lot of people are freaking out, thinking this will be the case with them, too. I don't know all the science behind it, but I had a feeling it has something to do with the extreme methods and rapid weight loss the contestants go through. I think comparing those contestants to people who lose gradually through REASONABLE diet and exercise is like comparing apples and oranges. The body is going to react very differently to slow, steady weight loss than it will to rapid loss brought about by extreme and likely unhealthy methods.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I know that when I go crazy and lose a ton of weight quickly, one cheeseburger seems to put back on 10lbs. When I lose the weight slowly and in a correct way, even a whole week of terrible eating doesn't derail my weight loss
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    Thank you! It seems that a lot of people are freaking out, thinking this will be the case with them, too. I don't know all the science behind it, but I had a feeling it has something to do with the extreme methods and rapid weight loss the contestants go through. I think comparing those contestants to people who lose gradually through REASONABLE diet and exercise is like comparing apples and oranges. The body is going to react very differently to slow, steady weight loss than it will to rapid loss brought about by extreme and likely unhealthy methods.