Bagels and donuts in the break room!

Options
Lord save me from the delicious bagels and donuts in the break room at work this morning! Omg why? Lol *stay away from break room*

Replies

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Lord save me from the delicious bagels and donuts in the break room at work this morning! Omg why? Lol *stay away from break room*

Oh goodness, it's not those Terry's Chocolate Orange donuts, is it? :love: :open_mouth:
  • coffeen14
    coffeen14 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There's junk food where I work ALL THE TIME, so I have to just say no. One thing that helps is to think of calories like "spending money". Do I want to spend my calories on a donut, which is completely unfilling, but sweet, or would I rather eat something that will help me stay full and can still be somewhat sweet, i.e. lemon meringue flavor Greek yogurt, for less calories?

I try to spend my calories wisely, and only splurge on things I truly love. For me, that would be a really good chocolate cake, not a donut. Definitely not a bagel or muffin.

I also remember that I have a goal, and have to eat accordingly. If you constantly make "exceptions", you'll get nowhere.

I'm like this too!! I "spend" my calories like money and luckily for me I don't like spending money so it helps to think that way! I don't really like donuts but bagels OMG would be what got me lol. They just had delicious looking free pizza in the cafeteria and I didn't even walk by it because pizza is my all time favorite and definitely couldn't eat as much as I wanted so back to my desk with my packed lunch I go!

• wandajnevills
    wandajnevills Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Germs don't phase me! LOL. I ran away from the break room with my good-girl oatmeal. I'm a 3 bagel 2 donut binge eater.The calorie budget definitely does help me though. Yesterday I had a rice dream ice cream bar for 220 calories and it was glorious.
  • wandajnevills
    Options
    [/quote]
    Oh goodness, it's not those Terry's Chocolate Orange donuts, is it? :love: :open_mouth: [/quote]

I never met a donut I didn't love :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    A really gross guy where I used to work would stick his filthy hands in the donut box, grab one and eat half, then put it back. Same thing with chips when there were giant bags of chips left for sharing. Filthy hands straight into the bag. Made me want to never eat shared food again. Don't know who's touched it!

Yep, same with my workplace. My male coworkers even warned me about not touching anything he has because of some of his habits, and I'll leave it at that. :s
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Germs don't phase me! LOL. I ran away from the break room with my good-girl oatmeal. I'm a 3 bagel 2 donut binge eater.The calorie budget definitely does help me though. Yesterday I had a rice dream ice cream bar for 220 calories and it was glorious.

Yum! The rice dream sounds better to me anyway (not much of a doughnut eater.) I love the rice dream ice cream...it's delicious!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    It's terrible, but I have a tendency to think about some of the...shadier...people at work who have walked by and touched them, sneezed near them, etc..and that helps.
    Same with leftover birthday cake people bring in to share, especially from kids' parties. I picture them blowing the candles out in a raspberry like way, and I'm good to go. :smiley:

Me too - how many people have coughed or sneezed in the vicinity, how clean are their hands - I hate buffets!!

This is why I have an immune system.

OP, just don't eat what's offered. I'm one of Those People who can resist food.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I got lucky today! I had packed a smaller lunch than usual because I was feeling rough first thing and a bit food averse, but got over it later, and then I had just realised that the weather was good enough to walk mini me home 2 miles from the after school club instead of taking the bus, and just as I was coming to these happy realisations, the word reached me that whatever high poohbahs had been meeting in the board room had not finished their cake! And I had enough calories free to eat a magnificent slice of it, along with two helpings of executive fruit salad. Score!

So you win some, you lose some. Today I won some!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth. I think that for the first 22 years of my life, there wasn't a day when I didn't have some kind of pastry/croissant, cookies, and/or chocolate (I mean, I grew up in France, there were literally 8 bakeries in a 5 blocks radius).

So what I do now is just ask myself what I really want. If nothing specific comes to mind, it means I don't really want it... so I try to focus on what I have planned for dinner instead (I try to follow my cravings for meals too) and on making sure that I save calories for it. If I really want something specific though (let's say an apple cider donut), I focus on that. So if there's no apple cider donut, I just 'save' my treat calories for when I can finally get one. But when I have the opportunity to have one, I enjoy every bite.

The key really is to focus on whatever you really want at the time, instead of just eating whatever's there. Plan tasty meals and snacks, so you're less tempted to waste calories on donuts instead.. I noticed that there are a lot of things I used to eat that I very rarely think are worth the calories now (Dunking Donuts? Nope. Donuts from the local donut shop? If I've been craving a donut for a while, sure). I used to love bagels and now I've found that they're really only worth it maybe three times a year when I really crave one... Otherwise my calories are better spent on something else.

It's like money, you got to decide what's worth splurging and what isn't. Being hungry all day because I had brioche for breakfast is typically not worth it for me 99% of the time, for example.
  • wandajnevills
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have a huge sweet tooth. I think that for the first 22 years of my life, there wasn't a day when I didn't have some kind of pastry/croissant, cookies, and/or chocolate (I mean, I grew up in France, there were literally 8 bakeries in a 5 blocks radius).

So what I do now is just ask myself what I really want. If nothing specific comes to mind, it means I don't really want it... so I try to focus on what I have planned for dinner instead (I try to follow my cravings for meals too) and on making sure that I save calories for it. If I really want something specific though (let's say an apple cider donut), I focus on that. So if there's no apple cider donut, I just 'save' my treat calories for when I can finally get one. But when I have the opportunity to have one, I enjoy every bite.

The key really is to focus on whatever you really want at the time, instead of just eating whatever's there. Plan tasty meals and snacks, so you're less tempted to waste calories on donuts instead.. I noticed that there are a lot of things I used to eat that I very rarely think are worth the calories now (Dunking Donuts? Nope. Donuts from the local donut shop? If I've been craving a donut for a while, sure). I used to love bagels and now I've found that they're really only worth it maybe three times a year when I really crave one... Otherwise my calories are better spent on something else.

It's like money, you got to decide what's worth splurging and what isn't. Being hungry all day because I had brioche for breakfast is typically not worth it for me 99% of the time, for example.

I hear ya! I had 1/4 of a bagel, 3 bites worth, and it was good, but when I had to log 3 bites as 75 calories I realized was not *that* good!
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think the BBC must be spying on us!

Office cake culture is 'danger to health'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36608269