Bagels and donuts in the break room!

Options
13»

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    She'll love it @arditarose, I've had bagels in NYC and they're the same. There are two beigel shops next to each other in Brick Lane, both excellent.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    In my office we celebrate birthdays once a month. It works out really well...as in one cake day for all the June birthdays. I can work in one cupcake/piece of cake each month.

I'm working on changing our office to once monthly birthday treats. But honestly they always seem to find a reason to buy junk food.

If you can spare the calories and not go over your goal, of course there's no reason you can't indulge.

That's a great idea, but if people are bringing in stuff that much will your coworkers consider you a food nazi by trying to change the culture?

Perhaps, but considering several of them have gained a considerable amount of weight over the last couple of years, maybe they'll actually be thankful.
  • wandajnevills
    wandajnevills Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    We had a rep bring in these amaaazing looking cupcakes today and I was practically drooling. I'm sure one was around 300 calories at least. Then one of the other girls said they weren't that good. Glad I didn't waste my calories!

I love people who say "it's not very good."
  • wandajnevills
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    cross2bear wrote: »
    It's terrible, but I have a tendency to think about some of the...shadier...people at work who have walked by and touched them, sneezed near them, etc..and that helps.
    Same with leftover birthday cake people bring in to share, especially from kids' parties. I picture them blowing the candles out in a raspberry like way, and I'm good to go. :smiley:

Me too - how many people have coughed or sneezed in the vicinity, how clean are their hands - I hate buffets!!

This is why I have an immune system.

OP, just don't eat what's offered. I'm one of Those People who can resist food.

"just don't eat it" is not that simple for me. I have tremendous anxiety over it. I'm a major binge eater. It's an emotional/psychological problem for me. Yes it's my problem and not everyone else's, but I just wish more people would try to show some compassion or empathy.
  • wandajnevills
    Options
    In my office we celebrate birthdays once a month. It works out really well...as in one cake day for all the June birthdays. I can work in one cupcake/piece of cake each month.

We used to do that, and it was much better! Not only was is less often, but I could know when to expect it instead of being ambushed! Now it's out of control. There's cake for every birthday and we have like 60 employees! Plus people randomly bring in bagels and donuts and bags of candy, not crappy candy, but chocolate and stuff.
  • wandajnevills
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    I've gotten better at not eating the food in the break room. Not perfect, but definitely better. If I'm going to go for something like bagels or donuts, I'd rather eat quality ones I choose and eat them in the comfort of my home where I can enjoy it versus eating on the run at work (hospital). I recently went to NYC for a few days and OD'd on bagels and pizza. Worth every carb and calorie. But no thanks to the chain pizza places the coworkers order from here. (happily they've not recently ordered from the cookie place that bakes fresh cookies and delivers them between 10P-3A, although I'm good at getting just one)

I think I'm just finally getting to the mindset of using my decadent calories for quality stuff, not just the food that's available.

Ha ha ha ha! "one cookie." if I eat one cookie I eat 20 cookies and pass out at my desk.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've gotten better at not eating the food in the break room. Not perfect, but definitely better. If I'm going to go for something like bagels or donuts, I'd rather eat quality ones I choose and eat them in the comfort of my home where I can enjoy it versus eating on the run at work (hospital). I recently went to NYC for a few days and OD'd on bagels and pizza. Worth every carb and calorie. But no thanks to the chain pizza places the coworkers order from here. (happily they've not recently ordered from the cookie place that bakes fresh cookies and delivers them between 10P-3A, although I'm good at getting just one)

I think I'm just finally getting to the mindset of using my decadent calories for quality stuff, not just the food that's available.

Ha ha ha ha! "one cookie." if I eat one cookie I eat 20 cookies and pass out at my desk.

Hmmmm that is interesting, I was there myself too at times. Actually for many many years. That super restrictive mindset, can lead to eating disorders over time IME.

That idea of being really restrictive on our intake comes from this bulls^%$ idea that food is clean/good vs. bad.

There is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong.

I really suggest looking into IIFYM. Enjoy a cookie and enjoy your life:))
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Hmmmm that is interesting, I was there myself too at times. Actually for many many years. That super restrictive mindset, can lead to eating disorders over time IME.

That idea of being really restrictive on our intake comes from this bulls^%$ idea that food is clean/good vs. bad.

There is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong.

Where did she say anything about being super restrictive, or putting labels on food as "good/bad"?
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Come to NYC and have a bagel made on the premises, early on a Saturday morning...the same with doughnuts. Then you may not want the break room stuff.

So true. I made the conscious decision to go for it when I went to NYC last weekend. I get there 1-2 times a year and while the carbs will set me back a while (I have PCOS, carbs are an issue), for not making it a habit like it used to be, it was worth it. There's a bagel place about 25 mins from where I live, run by transplanted NYers and they are really good actually, but I don't go very often.
    (happily they've not recently ordered from the cookie place that bakes fresh cookies and delivers them between 10P-3A, although I'm good at getting just one)

Before I started working on my weight, I'd have ordered a lot. But doing a group order makes it easy to get the one. They're a decent size, but easy to inhale and knowing the calorie and carb count makes it easier not to go overboard, where as before I'd probably have ordered five or six. I used to order a dozen donuts, or half a dozen bagels at a time, and it took a long time for me to make it an occasional indulgence.

The break room stuff gets out of control at times. I will participate in the holiday/birthday potlucks, but I work with people who decide on a whim that we should all bring items for a potato bar/tacos/grilled cheese/desserts. It took a while but I had to stop participating in those, there's no reason for me to eat what someone else has an urge for. I work in a hospital, and it's not like it's a sit down type of thing, people simply grab their food and go, so I choose to eat my own food in those circumstances.

• jahillegas_51
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Where did she say anything about being super restrictive, or putting labels on food as "good/bad"?

Touche, I could have made some incorrect assumptions based on her comments.
  • wandajnevills
    Options

It's a pretty true assumption. I'm working on better balance, bit it's slow progress. I did used to crash diet, practically starving 40 pounds off myself, and a tiny screw up was reason to give up entirely and binge eat for months until I gained it all back. I'm trying to learn slow, sustainable changes. I'm slowly getting better at forgiving myself and getting back on the wagon regardless of whether it was a few cookies or an entire day of binge eating instead of giving up. Moderation is still extremely difficult though.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

It's a pretty true assumption. I'm working on better balance, bit it's slow progress. I did used to crash diet, practically starving 40 pounds off myself, and a tiny screw up was reason to give up entirely and binge eat for months until I gained it all back. I'm trying to learn slow, sustainable changes. I'm slowly getting better at forgiving myself and getting back on the wagon regardless of whether it was a few cookies or an entire day of binge eating instead of giving up. Moderation is still extremely difficult though.

You can learn moderation <3
    Lower you goals in your settings to lose 1 pound a week. Or do 1/2 pound a week for several weeks in order to get used to moderation and being patient and kind to yourself.

• keithahayes78
    keithahayes78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't be tempted. Allow everyone else to indulge and pay for it later. Be extraordinary. Ordinary people do ordinary things (like eat donuts with other ordinary people)...but extraordinary people do things a little differently. Be extraordinary.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Usually they are never as good as they look....
    keep telling yourself that :smiley:
  • jahillegas_51
    Options

Hey, if I can help you shift your mindset in anyway let me know. I used to be the exact same way, it was an all or nothing mentality. Either the diet was 100%, perfectly, laid out, prepped, and portioned, or it was hell was going to break loose.

Its kinda crazy to think I thought, like that, but I totally understand where it comes from. Luckily, you can make the change...I have dieted eating cheeseburgers for a powerlifting meet. IIFYM works...really really well:)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I try to think of it as "am I willing to skip lunch or dinner or my after dinner snack for this?" And if the answer is no, then I move on. Generally, my lunch or dinner or after dinner snack is much tastier.

Sometimes, I'll work it in or just say "eff it, today will just be an off day." But typically, I will walk away. Especially, if it isn't that special. A cookie from Panera or the grocery store is not worth it to me, but a fresh cookie from a local bakery normally will be worth it to me.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Ummmmmm...my method is to pretend someone with Salmonella or E. coli all over their hands has picked up and inspected each bagel or donut. Works for me. I find I don't have any desire to eat the break room goodies if I employ this method. I know I am a little strange.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There's a box of donuts from one of the best bakeries in the city in the breakroom. I had managed to forget about them until seeing this post :sweat_smile:

I honestly think of treats like that as currency. Is it worth the money? For me, a Frida's donut is reaaaallllllyyy skirting the line of possibly being a worthwhile use of my calorie currency... but not quite there. I'd rather spend it on dinner.

I like the idea of pretending someone spread E. coli on them or something, though. Very creative and clever!